Night time feeding

Paloma

I wondered if it would be ok to feed the chameleons at night? The chameleons were outside when the weather permitted. Now inside we use uvb and ceramic heat emitters. When I get back they have put on their night colors, the uvbs are off and they are asleep even though its only 6 pm I know bugs can harm a sleeping chameleon. Do I turn the "sun" back on and feed or will that mess them up, get them stressed out and sick? Will they even wake up to eat or will the bugs be walking around all night and possibly nip? I find some days I leave quite early and come back when it is now dark so am a bit stumped.Thanks.

Hi Paloma, I wouldnt turn on the lights to feed. If your schedule is not allowing to be around when the lights are on. You may want to try container feeding by mounting a cut out milk jug or something similar. You could place the feeders in the container in the morning for them to eat through out the day.

Hope that helps :)

Btw - hows your young ambilobes? Pics?

They r doing great thanks for the response. May take and post some sometime.. they r much bigger now though. Maybe I will post their baby pics too not sure when.

I know that crirckets have been known to chew on chams when they sleep. There have been a couple of times when I have realized that I forgot to check for left over crickets before lights out(I free range crickets bc Kush loves to hunt). When this happens, I just turn on an overhead light or a lamp. Then I quietly peek under the cover I put over his cage. He hardly ever wakes up when I do it this way. As long as the light isn't too bright, you should be able to get them out without too much of a disturbance. Even if it does wake them, they should go right back to sleep when the lights go out.

I know that crirckets have been known to chew on chams when they sleep. There have been a couple of times when I have realized that I forgot to check for left over crickets before lights out(I free range crickets bc Kush loves to hunt). When this happens, I just turn on an overhead light or a lamp. Then I quietly peek under the cover I put over his cage. He hardly ever wakes up when I do it this way. As long as the light isn't too bright, you should be able to get them out without too much of a disturbance. Even if it does wake them, they should go right back to sleep when the lights go out.

When this happens, I just throw some kale leaves in the cage to give the cricks something to chew on besides my cham's little tail!! :eek:
So far, so good :)

Also, give those new brown banded cricks a try. They are way less aggresive then those nasty Jamican field cricks! those guys can BITE!! :eek:

Thank you for the great tips am starting early today using containers, and will try to remove any strays or feed (the bugs) in there in case am unsuccessful in getting all out. I think I will use that regimen through the warm months when they can go back out. I am glad I asked.

Psychobunny, what kind are the pet store crickets would u know? I never really wondered about that till now. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom