Newbie with shedding veiled

ltemple827

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - female, veiled, 3-4 months
* Handling - 1 - 2 times a day
* Feeding - crickets, orange cubes, veggies 5 crickets, 2xday
* Supplements - Herptivite, dust once a day
* Watering - misting and drip, mist 3-4 times, 2-3 minutes, yes, I see her drinking
* Fecal Description - Has been normal till today, now orange at the start, not I have not had her tested for parasites
* History - n/a

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 15x15x30, screen
* Lighting - 150 watt red basking, repti glo 5. uvb basking 24/7, uvb 7-7
* Temperature - 65-90, temp gage
* Humidity - 40-60, usually 50, have a meter inside
* Plants - pothos and umbrella plant
* Placement - quiet bedroom, top of cage is 5'6'' from floor
* Location - Austin, TX

She has been doing fine until yesterday, not eating, started shedding today still not eating. I am misting 5-6 times a day, she is drinking but not moving and sleepling. Her feces were normal till today now orange at the start. Any suggestions?

Thanks

She is probably very tired.
If you have any kind of light on 24/7 it could be keeping her awake.
Night needs to be totally black and 10 to 15 degrees cooler than day temps.
Your temperatures are also quite hot for a young female.
Calcium needs to be added to the supplement schedule.
Herptivite should be twice a month, not every day.
Check out some of the information here:

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

-Brad

Temps should probably dropped to around 80 in the basking spot as she is young. I would stop handling her so much as it could be causing her a lot of stress. I only handle once a week max for a quick health check and every now and then a picture. Turn all lights off at night.

Calcium without d3 should be used most feedings, calcium with d3 should be used two or so times a month, and a multivitamin should be used once or twice a month.

That website brad posted is a great read and resource.

Thank you for responding. Today I noticed a black area on her underside, hadn't noticed before, as she has be shedding. It is about the size of a nickel. Is this a problem?

Could you take a picture of it? That would help, I'm sure. Also, keep an eye on it. Sometimes they blacken up a spot in the interest of warming up and it returns to normal color soon.

cham 001.jpg

I have attached a photo, any ideas?

So, it hasn't faded or changed at all? Where is your light? Does she lie with her stomach facing the light at all?

I really have no idea, but I'm hoping to get information that will be helpful when Brad of pssh comes back.

Do you have a vet in your area with chameleon experience? Even if this doesn't turn out to be something requiring a vet, it's probably a good idea to have a name and phone number on hand.

The spot does seem to come and go, I have replaced the 150 watt bulb with a 75 watt bulb for basking and now she hangs from the top of the cage directly underneath the bulb where as before she would perch on a branch under the light. I did not have any lights on last night and she is still not eating, but I have seen her drinking when I mist her. Since her shedding her colors are much more vivid and striking than two weeks ago (just an side comment).

I am sure that there is a vet in the area that has experience in reptiles, but since it Sunday won't have much luck. Will take your suggestions and get one in the cue.

Thanks again for the support.

"* Lighting - 150 watt red basking, repti glo 5. uvb basking 24/7, uvb 7-7"

Is the only basking source a RED light? or do you have a normal incandescent light? Are you leaving this red light on overnight? What exactly are your leaving on 24/7?

You should post a picture of your setup. That black spot looks like it could be a burn.

My guess is she is hanging under your 150watt red lamp, and at 150watts thats more then enough to cause a burn if the lamp is sitting on the mesh.

I noted in my last post that the red basking light was changed to a 75 watt (Saturday) and it was recommended through earlier post that I not leave the basking light on 24/7, so I turned off all lights last night. cham2 001.jpg

I'd get a normal 60 watt house bulb. Or if you go to a higher wattage, raise the heat lamp up a little. Your basking spot should be 85 degrees.

The basking area is no higher than 85 degree, it runs about 80-83 with the 75, as it is 4 inches above the enclosure.

Day 3, drinking but not eating. Should I get some type of worm to tempt her?

Hi All,

My little veil is still not eating, drinking but it has been going on for 5 days and I am worried. Any suggestions on what I might feed? She looks fine otherwise and I think lowering the temps have help, she seems a bit more alert and did attempt to eat a cricket, but missed.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom