Newbie Inspiration and hope... Yes you can do this!

I get Pm’s All the time out of no where from newbies.... as long as it is not a health concern and just a straight question I have never had an issue responding. I do think that it gets you the least feedback though doing this. While posting in the forum may be intimidating it is a great way to be flooded with feedback that you may not get from one person. Ya know :)
Thank goodness I don’t get pms. I’m not nice I’ve been told. I’m a fluffy kitten who runs in circles

Thank goodness I don’t get pms. I’m not nice I’ve been told. I’m a fluffy kitten who runs in circles
Lol I get probably 3 a week. Mostly from people that I have added feedback to their help form but also from people that have seen my posts then message me asking questions..
And you are freaking awesome!!!!! And one of my favorite people!

Lol I get probably 3 a week. Mostly from people that I have added feedback to their help form but also from people that have seen my posts then message me asking questions..
I guess it’s good when I give advice I also says some weird stuff so they stay away from this crazy keeper :p
Your my favorite ppl too :love: you help me from goingo_O

I wouldn't phrase it as "afraid to ask". Some people aren't as social (me for instance) and come across the wrong way (me for example, have be told I'm hostile via text when that wasn't my intentions). I tend to stick with pm (with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla a majority of the time) even almost two years later lol. Granted these days it mostly general bs chat but, on occasion, I may ask his thoughts on a change I'm thinking about making in my routine or something with my babies/ eggs.

As they say, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Trust me, every one of us was in the same boat at one point. I can't tell you how many times I've started a pm with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla with " I have another stupid question". Even almost two years later I still start off with that at times lol. Mostly when I'm thinking of changes I want to make with my collection/ routine these days though lol. He's sort of like the older brother you look to for reassurances for me haha. Anyways, my point was if there's something you're unsure of and there is someone you're more comfortable talking with on the forums, send them a pm for their thoughts if it makes you more comfortable asking the "stupid questions" in your cham journey.
Thank you, and you are like a brother to me too! The honor is all mine!

Exactly what the title says... So I am going to lay it out there for you. I have now been in this hobby for 8 months... I too was brand new and had no clue. With a Petco impulse buy and overwhelmed. I was an avid lurker on the forum searching threads and trying to process as much info as possible.

Why I decided to do this thread. Hopefully to inspire all you newbies that feel like you have gotten in over your head. While yes there is a lot to know and learn... AND BUY. I wanted to show you all how rough I started out. You will see me lining your help forms with RED BOLD. But I want you to know I was once in your shoes as well. I survived lol.

It is a process and I too am still growing and expanding.

It all started October 20th of 2018. I went to Petco to look at getting a betta fish for my desk. I work from home and the day to day gets a little well boring.. So I thought I would get a fish. I walked by the reptiles and realized that this little chameleon was following me across the front of the glass case. I went back and forth a few times to see if he was in fact following me. And he was. This was when Beman picked me. I went home trying to think up every rational excuse not to get him but after 3 days of him being my only thought and trying to find info via youtube and other sites (I had not found the forum yet) I went back and got my baby boy. He was roughly 4 months old at the time. The info I had found online was awful and the petco advice for what to buy was worse but I just did not know that yet... I spent $400 on everything they could sell me that was incorrect from the kit, supplements, all the extras, and of course mealworms. And did I mention I was told to gut load with just carrots.

This was the start of my journey... Now let me share with you my pics along with my progression from Day 1.

Here is my horrid day 1 set up. I did know that I needed more fake plants and vines... That the kit did not have enough. They had me buy a huge dish to collect the water... Oh and let me tell you how proud I was of myself :hilarious: Like everything is wrong here right? RIGHT! It sucks... It is awful and nothing good can come from this set up. But I found the forum by day 3...

View attachment 236588

This is Day 5... I got pothos plants and figured out how to use the exo terra bendable vines to loop around the pots while using tiny zip ties to secure them to the screen. This worked sooooooo well for me. I also got clear acrylic panels for the back and right side to keep the over spray in. I still could not figure out what to do with water run off. I was still lurking and had no idea what to look for in the forum. I was too scared to post and get feedback. I spent so much time reading it was crazy... I found lightyourreptiles.com and Todd helped me with lighting, supplements, gutload and directed me to dragonstrand.com for enclosures. I purchased lighting, supplements, and gutload from him. Dropped another $250 there correcting this area a bit more.

View attachment 236589

I built him a play area next to my desk in the window... This is the first version :hilarious: I know it is awful but I was trying and he loved it..

View attachment 236594 View attachment 236600

On November 11th I ordered a cage from dragon strand... Still learning and still too scared to post I ordered my cage for his December build... Then contacted him a month later to see if there was a way to get a larger size... I had ordered one that would not accommodate a full size Male Veiled's height needs. This put me into the position of getting a new build that would ship in January. The Medium Tall Atrium. Dropped well a lot of $ here but it was worth it. Here is my build thread. You will see I was still learning what to use and what not to use and how to work with this cage type. https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-side-aka-bemans-mansion.167884/#post-1459296

I built another play area that was larger he was growing and needed more room... 2nd version... Much better then my 1st attempt... But this kept changing as he grew more curious. I had to screen the sides and the top to keep him from venturing out of it. He was always supervised but still it made me feel better knowing he was safer. This was about $100 bucks to build.

View attachment 236595

The end of January I received my Dragon strand Medium Tall Atrium. 30 inches wide, 24 deep, and 48 tall.

This was the first run through in setting it up. I had added the mistking, fogger, and a ton of live plants but I was still using all fake vines... Not very good for chams to rub their eyes on these because they are at risk for getting pieces into their eyes which can cause permanent issues. I did not know this yet....
At this point I expanded my gutload as well including repashy bug burger into my mixture. Also I was diving into many more feeders... Silkworms, BSFL, Blue bottle spikes, dubia, and hornworms.

View attachment 236596

This brings us to his current enclosure. I pulled all the fake vines and got wood branches from Michael's the beginning of March. I tore everything out and replaced it all. I also bought a Herpstat 2 dimming thermostat that controls the basking fixtures ensuring the perfect temperature. And another $250 there.

Looking pretty good right? Your thinking oh she has to be done with this cage now. Well then I had a bug chew its way out of the Michael's branches which in turn gave me a nervous break down :p

I will be working on the next version of Beman's enclosure Friday as I have collected a ton of drift wood from the beach that I washed and have been drying out.

View attachment 236597

Here is his newest free range/play area... 5 ft high and 5 ft wide but it too is still a work in progress ;) and $75 here for the tree lol

View attachment 236598

I have spent over $2,000 from day one. With buying the wrong stuff to buying the right stuff... Now I want to make it clear. You do not need to go out and spend a fortune to have a proper set up. I just happen to be a little overboard when it comes to my boy.

So the point of my story.... Most of us start here... Level one of the I have no idea what the heck I am doing... Then we progress... progress some more... and then a bit more. This is a hobby where you will always be learning.. From massive corrections in husbandry to making slight corrections here and there. It is really a learning process.

So for all the newbies and the lurkers. We welcome you and want you to know that you can ask for help. Be open to us and open to learning. Trust me you will learn so much quicker what you need to correct and what the best options to buy are. This will save you money in the end.

The end... for now ;)

I loved this! I'm still on the lurky side to a degree. I have a lot of knowledge and background with reptiles. Buts even as a zoology student, the knowledge of a keeper is beyond compare. I've been and fealt every single instance in here for the last 3 months with Koba. I pre built a 18x18x36 bio active vivarium that I spent well over... a lot of money on it, and came here on day 1 of having Koba, too find out I did it all wrong. I did months of research and still wasnt prepared. 2 days on this forum and I found out that all my lights were wrong, my heating was wrong, I was over misting...my cage was too small... All this money was WASTED. Over the last few months I've fixed and perfected everything, except the cage size(and apparently my fake vines >.>). I finally, FINALLY!! caved and I just purchased the large clearside atrium enclosure from dragon strand litterally as was typing this out. Regardless I appreciate this post! I'm addicted to this forum now, it's kind of a problem.

I honestly do not get the "i'm surprised your a girl" thing because anyone can be into the awesome animals and can get passed their fears of insects. I was disgusted by insects but have gotten used to them and even interested since they keep my reptiles fed. My daughter loves the reptiles as much as I do and even wants to own a store some day. of all the mentors I have on this forum I would say its exactly 50/50 split men and women that I learn from and have nothing but respect for all people who have knowledge and passion for these animals.

Wait we aren't all Women here?!? ...I'll back track before my wife sees this post... Agree I actually know more women in the chameleon world then men honestly. In the python world, still gotta say it's a vast majority on the men side of things... which I'm hoping to help change...

I get Pm’s All the time out of no where from newbies.... as long as it is not a health concern and just a straight question I have never had an issue responding. I do think that it gets you the least feedback though doing this. While posting in the forum may be intimidating it is a great way to be flooded with feedback that you may not get from one person. Ya know :)
Yes, good point I agree the variety of feedback is valuable! :)

Its definitely better to make a post about it since you can get lot more ideas but if you do not feel comfortable then the PM may help to get yourself out there to build up to new posts I guess.
Yes, good point I agree the variety of feedback is valuable! :)

I agree with this to an extent but, as some know by now, I live in Florida. As many know glass exo's aren't really recommended for cham use in my state. Had I have stayed with the "variety of feedback/ more ideas" route I wouldn't have found they actually can/ will do just fine here if you put the time in to getting them setup. When I started my test exo last year only myself, wife and Matt knew of it. I took a month tracking and adjusting before one of my chams saw the inside of it. Now, tbh, I wish I had started with glass exo's instead of screen so I wouldn't be back tracking replacing them little by little. The results of the exo is actually what lead me to my diy clearside but I'm just rambling now so back to my hole again :) .

Last edited:

Believe it or not I was a lot like you at one point, giving detailed responses to almost every newbie that posts. I used to get question after question. This is a great thing, but at some point itll burn you out. I've seen it with quite a few on these forums(I joined here in 2008, but only really started posts a few years ago).

The cycle for a lot of people tends to be: start as lurkers, politely and nervously asking questions, then help out with minor things in other posts that they learned here, onto more detailed responses as they gain experiences, you'll see some of us get a little too cocky/aggressive about it at times, which I think is just a side effect of being excited to know all this new information, eventually from there people will often take a break and be missing from the forum some, and finally post much less often, usually only on selective things that might catch their interest or help when they feel up to it.

Wait we aren't all Women here?!? ...I'll back track before my wife sees this post... Agree I actually know more women in the chameleon world then men honestly. In the python world, still gotta say it's a vast majority on the men side of things... which I'm hoping to help change...
I just recently set up a bioactive ball python tank! I'm letting it get established before I put a snake in there, but I'm really excited about it!

I agree with this to an extent but, as some know by now, I live in Florida. As many know glass exo's aren't really recommended for cham use in my state. Had I have stayed with the "variety of feedback/ more ideas" route I wouldn't have found they actually can/ will do just fine here if you put the time in to getting them setup. When I started my test exo last year only myself, wife and Matt knew of it. I took a month tracking and adjusting before one of my chams saw the inside of it. Now, tbh, I wish I had started with glass exo's instead of screen so I wouldn't be back tracking replacing them little by little. The results of the exo is actually what lead me to my diy clearside but I'm just rambling now so back to my hole again :) .

I have had a few of those low key projects that only @Matt Vanilla Gorilla knew about and that is one of the tings I love about him is that he is open to new ideas and will support the things I do unless its really stupid. Then he just tells me "Nope! Don't do that". My cage formats and some of the other aspects in my keeping would have been different if I didn't have his support but I am glad I made the changes.

BTW I love the glass exo terra setups. My bearded dragon is in one and its very nice.

I have had a few of those low key projects that only @Matt Vanilla Gorilla knew about and that is one of the tings I love about him is that he is open to new ideas and will support the things I do unless its really stupid. Then he just tells me "Nope! Don't do that". My cage formats and some of the other aspects in my keeping would have been different if I didn't have his support but I am glad I made the changes.

BTW I love the glass exo terra setups. My bearded dragon is in one and its very nice.

Tbh, I wish zilla made larger versions of vertical glass. The baby rack I've been collecting cages for is being done with the zilla "starter kit" 12x12x18 cage. Sadly the only way to get that particular version of the cage is in the kit which leaves stuff I don't need being wasted but it has the deepest base of any brand that size. I also like the lower air flow on them better then the exo/ zoo med versions.

Tbh, I wish zilla made larger versions of vertical glass. The baby rack I've been collecting cages for is being done with the zilla "starter kit" 12x12x18 cage. Sadly the only way to get that particular version of the cage is in the kit which leaves stuff I don't need being wasted but it has the deepest base of any brand that size. I also like the lower air flow on them better then the exo/ zoo med versions.
Keep an eye on dragonstrand cages. They are in the process of making a vivaruim dragonstrand. It’s 24x24x48 not the dimensions you are looking for but he may come out with other sizes in the future.

Back
Top Bottom