Newbie Inspiration and hope... Yes you can do this!

Okay, I shouldn’t say “all”... some, I agree, ask stupid questions or get offended about very little... but maybe... some of us don’t understand what you are talking about. Cham lingo isn’t anything we newbies are familiar with. I have to be honest, some of the words you are throwing around... I don’t know what the heck you are talking about and I have to run to google, and I don’t always get an answer. I would never feel comfortable asking you... what does “XYZ” mean...

Seriously, I get where you all coming from. I feel the same if someone asks me a dumb question about backpacking or mobile phones... but I always try to be nice. I’m probably the most patient person you’ll ever talk to, but I’ll be pulling my hair while trying to explain a logic issue to someone... but not to the other person.

Again, I get it. I was pissed off when that guy or girl asked a question... and someone went of on him/her. They did a lot better than other new Cham owners, but the light issue was a problem. You’re right, he was debating with the forum about it, and I agree, he could’ve handled it differently... but give him a break. A lot of people trust the chain pet stores and just don’t know what to believe.

I’m always willing to learn, I know about chain pet stores (still bought mine at a chain) but not everyone does. Btw, I learned a crapload by lurking. Personally I ordered a new light source the same night, ordered a bigger cage, added all the things you find necessary. Lol however, I am sure, someone will find something that’s wrong, but at this point I am “scared” to even ask.
But this is exactly what you can’t do... not ask.... if you don’t know the lingo ask us what we mean... otherwise it defeats the purpose of this forum... some lurk which is fine that is what I did but then I had everything checked and checked again. I still fill out the help form for a husbandry review...

Okay, I shouldn’t say “all”... some, I agree, ask stupid questions or get offended about very little... but maybe... some of us don’t understand what you are talking about. Cham lingo isn’t anything we newbies are familiar with. I have to be honest, some of the words you are throwing around... I don’t know what the heck you are talking about and I have to run to google, and I don’t always get an answer. I would never feel comfortable asking you... what does “XYZ” mean...

Seriously, I get where you all coming from. I feel the same if someone asks me a dumb question about backpacking or mobile phones... but I always try to be nice. I’m probably the most patient person you’ll ever talk to, but I’ll be pulling my hair while trying to explain a logic issue to someone... but not to the other person.

Again, I get it. I was pissed off when that guy or girl asked a question... and someone went of on him/her. They did a lot better than other new Cham owners, but the light issue was a problem. You’re right, he was debating with the forum about it, and I agree, he could’ve handled it differently... but give him a break. A lot of people trust the chain pet stores and just don’t know what to believe.

I’m always willing to learn, I know about chain pet stores (still bought mine at a chain) but not everyone does. Btw, I learned a crapload by lurking. Personally I ordered a new light source the same night, ordered a bigger cage, added all the things you find necessary. Lol however, I am sure, someone will find something that’s wrong, but at this point I am “scared” to even ask.
You will never learn if you don’t ask the “stupid” questions. I ask stupid questions all the time on here and they always answer my questions no matter how dumb it is, then they clown on me. That’s just how it all works here. I understand the scared to ask questions I was scared b4 to but if your willing to listen to advice everyone is nice

Last edited:
You will never learn if you don’t ask the “stupid” questions. I ask stupid questions all the time on here and they always answer my questions no matter how dumb it is, then they clown on me. That’s just how it all works here. I understand the scared to ask questions I was scared b4 to but if you willing to listen to advice everyone is nice
Exactly!!!! We are not mean. We are straight and to the point.

It is easy to take offense to the written word. There is no emotional inflection to it. I hate that I get lumped into the "I can't believe your a girl" It hurts my feelings that people would automatically think I am a man. But I have learned to brush that off. We have quite a few women on here that are very experienced keepers.

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK.

Why I decided to do this thread. Hopefully to inspire all you newbies that feel like you have gotten in over your head. While yes there is a lot to know and learn... AND BUY. I wanted to show you all how rough I started out. You will see me lining your help forms with RED BOLD. But I want you to know I was once in your shoes as well. I survived lol.
It is a process and I too am still growing

Thanks for posting this. I really appreciate it. I got my special needs chammies free having never owned a reptile and most days I’m feeling in over my head too. I’m obsessed with trying to gradually fix everything, but it’s hard. It is extremely expensive and even scary. It takes all my resourcefulness and creativity to not give up. It’s helpful to see that people can be works in progress. Let’s cheer one another on.

I honestly do not get the "i'm surprised your a girl" thing because anyone can be into the awesome animals and can get passed their fears of insects. I was disgusted by insects but have gotten used to them and even interested since they keep my reptiles fed. My daughter loves the reptiles as much as I do and even wants to own a store some day. of all the mentors I have on this forum I would say its exactly 50/50 split men and women that I learn from and have nothing but respect for all people who have knowledge and passion for these animals.

I joined the forums back in March, a few weeks before getting my first cham (Tiny Pesto). I spent about a week lurking the forums which is how I learned about lighting and drainage and misting schedules, but being in CO a lot of things were different for me, so I needed to ask questions to get answers tailored specifically for my needs. I asked a lot of dumb questions (did you know rhubarb is toxic? I didnt know rhubarb was toxic until I asked) and I got nothing but patient and precise answers. I never got a response that was anything other than kind, helpful, and patient from anyone on these forums. I attribute that to the fact that I was open and willing to learn, and not being afraid of being stupid. Cuz guess what? When it came to chameleon husbandry, I was stupid.

Thanks for posting this. I really appreciate it. I got my special needs chammies free having never owned a reptile and most days I’m feeling in over my head too. I’m obsessed with trying to gradually fix everything, but it’s hard. It is extremely expensive and even scary. It takes all my resourcefulness and creativity to not give up. It’s helpful to see that people can be works in progress. Let’s cheer one another on.

That constant pursuit of knowledge and never say die attitude is why you will do great. You just have to take in what others tell you and find what works best for you and then things will begin to run smooth. Keep up the hard work and always keep learning.

I forgot to mention that was it not for the people on this forum and the help I recieved, I have no doubt that I would have killed Pesto. The information elsewhere on the internet just doesnt cut it. For that I will always be in debt to those that helped me.

I honestly do not get the "i'm surprised your a girl" thing because anyone can be into the awesome animals and can get passed their fears of insects. I was disgusted by insects but have gotten used to them and even interested since they keep my reptiles fed. My daughter loves the reptiles as much as I do and even wants to own a store some day. of all the mentors I have on this forum I would say its exactly 50/50 split men and women that I learn from and have nothing but respect for all people who have knowledge and passion for these animals.

I think it’s her handle, that confused me

I find for myself sometimes it’s just easier to PM the specific person. It’s a feature I think every one has access to. So that is something to consider if you don’t feel comfortable and if it’s a quick question.

I highly doubt you will ask something that nobody on this forum hasn't heard before. If your too afraid to ask then it will always be a challenge. We need to build off the mistakes and learn from each other for the benefit of the animals and the community.

I wouldn't phrase it as "afraid to ask". Some people aren't as social (me for instance) and come across the wrong way (me for example, have be told I'm hostile via text when that wasn't my intentions). I tend to stick with pm (with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla a majority of the time) even almost two years later lol. Granted these days it mostly general bs chat but, on occasion, I may ask his thoughts on a change I'm thinking about making in my routine or something with my babies/ eggs.

Get ready for some stupid questions.

As they say, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Trust me, every one of us was in the same boat at one point. I can't tell you how many times I've started a pm with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla with " I have another stupid question". Even almost two years later I still start off with that at times lol. Mostly when I'm thinking of changes I want to make with my collection/ routine these days though lol. He's sort of like the older brother you look to for reassurances for me haha. Anyways, my point was if there's something you're unsure of and there is someone you're more comfortable talking with on the forums, send them a pm for their thoughts if it makes you more comfortable asking the "stupid questions" in your cham journey.

I wouldn't phrase it as "afraid to ask". Some people aren't as social (me for instance) and come across the wrong way (me for example, have be told I'm hostile via text when that wasn't my intentions). I tend to stick with pm (with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla a majority of the time) even almost two years later lol. Granted these days it mostly general bs chat but, on occasion, I may ask his thoughts on a change I'm thinking about making in my routine or something with my babies/ eggs.

As they say, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Trust me, every one of us was in the same boat at one point. I can't tell you how many times I've started a pm with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla with " I have another stupid question". Even almost two years later I still start off with that at times lol. Mostly when I'm thinking of changes I want to make with my collection/ routine these days though lol. He's sort of like the older brother you look to for reassurances for me haha. Anyways, my point was if there's something you're unsure of and there is someone you're more comfortable talking with on the forums, send them a pm for their thoughts if it makes you more comfortable asking the "stupid questions" in your cham journey.

I only used the word afraid because that's what they said they were. I have done the same thing with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla tons of times which is why I say having someone you can trust and bounce ideas off is very valuable.

I only used the word afraid because that's what they said they were. I have done the same thing with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla tons of times which is why I say having someone you can trust and bounce ideas off is very valuable.

Gotcha, guess I should've read the other posts a little closer :(. I'll go back to my hole again :ROFLMAO:. But, yes, totally agree on someone you can trust for pm convos when needed be it general bs or cham questions lol.

I find for myself sometimes it’s just easier to PM the specific person. It’s a feature I think every one has access to. So that is something to consider if you don’t feel comfortable and if it’s a quick question.
I get Pm’s All the time out of no where from newbies.... as long as it is not a health concern and just a straight question I have never had an issue responding. I do think that it gets you the least feedback though doing this. While posting in the forum may be intimidating it is a great way to be flooded with feedback that you may not get from one person. Ya know :)

Its definitely better to make a post about it since you can get lot more ideas but if you do not feel comfortable then the PM may help to get yourself out there to build up to new posts I guess.

Back
Top Bottom