Newbie Inspiration and hope... Yes you can do this!

I love my salt water reef tank. Its like running a bio setup that manages itself. I think we spoke about it before but I couldn't avoid the saltwater since the colors of the coral and fish were what I needed in my life. I started with fresh but once I went salt I couldn't go back.

I recall a convo about it too seeing the pic.

Yeah I can believe it... You have been mentoring quite a few people I know in the bio active area.. All on the down low of course lol.
I have my moments where I just have to take a break or I focus on my new baby boy that is coming instead of the forum... I think that as with anything you can burn out here as well. There have been a few threads that emotionally fried me.
I think while I am still Newbie education focused I am learning not to put so much of myself into needing them to be successful. Now I just provide feedback and take a step back.

It amazes me how chill you're able to keep it with people

I love my salt water reef tank. Its like running a bio setup that manages itself. I think we spoke about it before but I couldn't avoid the saltwater since the colors of the coral and fish were what I needed in my life. I started with fresh but once I went salt I couldn't go back.

Nice reef! I've enjoyed seeing the knowledge you share with us on here. Glad to have you along with everyone else posting on this thread.

Reefs are what got me into bio! I like to compare them a lot, it's a very similar concept/function.

Nice reef! I've enjoyed seeing the knowledge you share with us on here. Glad to have you along with everyone else posting on this thread.

Reefs are what got me into bio! I like to compare them a lot, it's a very similar concept/function.

Thank you so much for the high praise. I still consider myself new to this but love sharing what I have learned along the way. You were one of the people there for me when I first started so it's cool to hear it coming from you.

Last edited:
I just recently set up a bioactive ball python tank! I'm letting it get established before I put a snake in there, but I'm really excited about it!

Make sure the plants are sturdy enough so that the snake don't topple them while slithering around. You might need a lot of CUC since snake poop is huge or spot clean if you see one.

Make sure the plants are sturdy enough so that the snake don't topple them while slithering around. You might need a lot of CUC since snake poop is huge or spot clean if you see one.
I got a cup of 50 powder orange isopods and a cup of springtails. I'll grab some more isos if I feel they cant handle the load(lol). I dont plan on getting a very large snake off the bat, so I'm hoping everything will be ok!

Not gunna lie my friend, I didn't read this all yet lol. I just want to say, if you've kept other reptiles, with success, or even fish, or really any animal that takes research to be successful with, then most chams given you have the space/money will be simple. They're made out to be much harder than they are. And this is mainly due to people who get veileds as their first reptile because they look so cool and are a couple dollars at Petco. No offense to anyone that does this, I don't blame people at all... but that's just where this notion that they're so difficult comes from. I was paranoid out my mind with my first cham, after 5 of them 2 species and both genders, I've realized they're pretty damn hardy. Mine have thrived through all swings of temperatures, humidity, tons of moves, temporary living in the shower or on random trees while I redid cages that took a week, through hand misting, mistkings, foggers, different gutloading and supplement regimens, angry handling(still gently) when the chams had to be moved, etc. Not that I put my chams through hell, but they tolerated a lot. My care is still very good at the end of the day don't get me wrong, but they're just not delicate flowers that will crumble at the slightest issue.

I'm going to cautiously agree with you, though I only have one chameleon so far, but I just set up a second enclosure to get another. I've been nervous before buying each reptile or amphibian I've ever had, and so far at least, it has always turned out easier than I expected, especially reading so many forum posts about the various animals. I still think chameleons require a little more care than dart frogs or geckos but it's not anything drastic. As long as it's a hobby that you stay interested in, and you keep trying for little improvements, then it seems like it's not bad at all.

I'm going to cautiously agree with you, though I only have one chameleon so far, but I just set up a second enclosure to get another. I've been nervous before buying each reptile or amphibian I've ever had, and so far at least, it has always turned out easier than I expected, especially reading so many forum posts about the various animals. I still think chameleons require a little more care than dart frogs or geckos but it's not anything drastic. As long as it's a hobby that you stay interested in, and you keep trying for little improvements, then it seems like it's not bad at all.

To add to what @jamest0o0 said, it is easier then people make it out to be but you still need to pay attention and learn more then other types of animals. People use automation to make it easier but you still need to remember to double check the mister level and light timers. I don't think they are hard as much as it can be time consuming.

I am bumping this thread.... I think it is helpful for Newbies to see that almost everyone starts out where they are at right now.

Even in my own evolution in chameleon keeping I have expanded my knowledge base of husbandry basics and made additional changes to what I utilize in Beman's cage since I did this thread last year.

I help in threads quite often. I think it is important for you to see that I was where you are at when I started as well. :)

Bumping this thread for the newbies. Now almost 2 years into this hobby. Cages now vs then in the first post. Y'all got this!
Here is another resource that I love. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

jpeg-imag.jpg

Hi Beman great post . After having other reptiles I decided to get a cham last year so studied for a while and chose male (sold as but ended up female) which I had not studied for could have taken her back for male but as I have her7 months and bonded did not have the heart to part. It would have been easier to let her go and work with a male but i don't like quitting so that's why I like your thread . Sometimes in life things aren't quite what we thought but how we deal with it defines us

Hi Beman great post . After having other reptiles I decided to get a cham last year so studied for a while and chose male (sold as but ended up female) which I had not studied for could have taken her back for male but as I have her7 months and bonded did not have the heart to part. It would have been easier to let her go and work with a male but i don't like quitting so that's why I like your thread . Sometimes in life things aren't quite what we thought but how we deal with it defines us
So very true! Well there are lots of resources here for you and if you want you can always post a thread for a husbandry review to make sure you have all the right info for your girl. I think females have their own bit of magic to them. Might not be flashy like the boys but honestly husbandry is the same except for lay bin, feeder amounts and temperature at basking. :)

Thanks I am not really sure how to post a thread. I think a done it once but cant remember what I did (new to this and new phone) someone recommended lower temp for female (maybe just when gravid) she is in exo terra at present but have just got a repti breeze but not quite sure what is the best way to secure perches and stuff from the outside

Attachments

• 20200801_110213.jpg
    20200801_110213.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 148
Back
Top Bottom