Newbie in need of help

When a chameleon has MBD the lack of calcium not only affects the bones but the muscles as well so it's not surprising that their tongues don't work well. It should improve as the calcium comes back into balance.

When a chameleon has MBD I usually keep them in a lower cage so the risk of falling and so they can bring the UVB more. Was the shot he gave the chameleon to help it absorb the calcium D3?

I would continue to use a syringe to ease the liquid calcium into its mouth. That way you know how much it's getting.

The strength should come back as it gets back to normal levels.

Calcium, D3, phos and vitamin A are all players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon and need to be in balance...so once you get the chameleon back in balance your need to keep it there so that he MB won't return. To do that you need to look at the lighting, temperature, what you feed the chameleon and what you feed the insects.

Thanks for the great info. I am feeling encouraged. My son came and got me saying that Spike Bobby Kevin looked funny. I was worried, but when I got there he was just displaying some black spots. Looked to be annoyed and I am taking that as a show of strength returning. I have created a sling out of a towel to get him closer to the uvb light.

I am pretty sure that our set up with temp, uvb, and humidity is good. The previous owners spared no expense when it came to this. So, I am hopeful that if I can figure out the best routine for feeding and supplementing we will be on the road to success! I do have a question about that.

The local pet store that we love said that the gut loaded crickets from Pet Smart were not good and sold me Fluker's Orange cubes. Then, the vet said to get the gut loaded from Pet Smart. But, from what I am reading here it looks like you guys are not fans of either and are creating your own cricket diet. Can someone give me some more info about this?

Update on Spike Bobby Kevin and question

So, it has been a month and a half since our vet visit. We have followed vet directions to a T. Spike Bobby Kevin is definitely better, but not a good as I think he should be. He is noticeably stronger, but does not seem to be putting on much weight and is still not climbing. I called the vet 2 weeks ago to ask some questions and possibly bring him back for a check, but vet was out of town for a week and then we went out of town for a week. The nurse did say that it takes time for the calcium to return to the bones and muscles and that I should not worry. The hubby was home and continued the feeding medicating schedule while we were gone. So that brings us to now. I have decided that the canned dog food the vet gave us is probably no longer good even though we kept it in the fridge and that he really should be eating on his own now. So, I did not feed him for two days hoping he would eat some crickets. As far as I can tell he has not. So today I force fed him one along with is calcium. He is surviving, but his mouth is open a lot with some of his tongue showing. Hoping this is just him cooling off, but just not sure.

So I am hoping someone out there who has nursed a very server case of MBD can let me know if this is typical recovery schedule or should we go back to the vet for a few more shots?

Thanks in advance for your help. Also, outside of the liquid calcium and food, I have not been supplementing. Mainly because he has not been eating on his own and I was not sure how to get it done. I really assumed he would be eating by now. I did put in a fresh uv bulb though.

Get an updated pic, the poor chameleon looked emaciated and dehydrated in the first pics you posted. A gaping mouth is still a sign of MBD. Make sure your cham has lots of sunshine, it can only help. I do not recommend force feeding chameleons, but as a last ditch effort it just might work. A multi-vitamin with D3 and plain calcium is what the chameleon really needs. Vitamins once a week while its sickly. Calcium needs to be given daily in my opinion. I would get a good powder over liquid calcium. I think it is easier to gauge the amounts of calcium you give with powder. The advice others have given is good. There is really nothing else that can be done in this situation. His deformed arms will most likely stay bent. This doesn't mean that the chameleon will always be weak, but it does mean that it might have difficulty climbing. He might not be as strong as a well-raised healthy chameleon, but he will certainly gain back a lot of his strength. Make sure that he is hydrated, that is extremely important. Good luck and take care when you force feed, it is a delicate procedure.

here are some pics of SBK. Put him outside today, but we live in North Texas and it will be 106 today. If I put him in the shade will he still get the uvb he needs? spike.JPG

spike 2.JPG

one more update

Ok we went ahead and ran SBK back to the vet. He is great btw. He was actually very impressed with how SBK was doing. He confessed that he did not have much hope that SBK would even make it when he came in the first time. So, just the fact that he was alive a looking ok made him happy. He has not gained any weight, but has not lost any either. He is stronger and the vet said that while we have not noticed because we see him every day, SBK does look better.

He went ahead and gave him another calcium shot and a steroid shot in hopes that he would start feeling better and eating on his own. We got a fresh can of food and were instructed to come back in 2 weeks if he was still not eating on his own.

So, I am feeling better. I will keep you guys posted on our progress. Thanks for all the help!

They get plenty of UV in the shade. More than any light could produce.

Hold his feeders up close to him and when he starts to stick his tongue out stick the feeder on his tongue.

It's a good thing your friend gave him to you, because they obviously weren't doing the right thing. Kudos for taking him to the vet! He didn't have the best owner before, but he does now! Good luck to you both!

sick cham

I would try longer mist times fewer times a day. My timer is set 3-4 mins twice a day and a good 5-6 once a day(I would do that in the mid day you don't want the cage all wet after his lights go out). I also agree with all the feedback you have received. Good luck! :)

Omg

Not looking good bro ....see how the leg looks double jointed and the casque on the head I'd deformed mbd for sure mercury vapor lamp and the right supplements might turn it around from the in vesting aging I've done it won't be easy for some examples of recovery look at thereptilewhisperer on YouTube......good luck bro pray for the lil critter

Because the chameleon keeps falling I would tip the enclosure on its side. fix the branches or whatever so he may still bask but if he falls it is not as far and he can easily get back up. And he will almost always have access to uvb that way.

I know how MBD is but mine is no where near as serious as SBK's.

I wish the best for the amazing little guy and he will become an inspiration if he can pull through.

Everyone else has given you advice enough, so I think my 2 cents is enough here.

Simply tip the cage on its side and get a long towel. line the long bottom of the cage with the towel and then put basking lights on top the side. align branches however. then put SBK in there and have maybe a shallow cup for food.

Back
Top Bottom