New to Panthers, Help Please.

stevenelvin

Well, I got my first cham (a k. multi) about a week ago. And I like him so much that I've decided to pick up an Ambilobe Panther chameleon (female) in the next few weeks.

So, I have a few questions for you guys:

What are the housing requirements for a panther chameleon? (L,W,H)
What should the temps be at? (Basking spot, Ambient & Night time)
What kind of uvb source would they need?
What kind of supplimentation do they need? (Any suggestions as to which specific products I should buy?)
I've read that females lay eggs even if they are not fertile, how will I know when she is gravid?
What should I make her a laying bin out of? When should I put it in her enclosure?
How humid do there enclosures need to be? (%)

Thanks,

Steve

ok, the preferred size cage is 24 X 24 X 48. You basking spot should be about 85 or so and your cage temp should be somewhere in the mid 70's. the night temps can be in the 60's. You can use an ordinary housebulb for basking like a 40 or 50 watt. Get a Reptisun 5.0 UVB TUBE light. they are the best. They need three types of supplementation: Calcium without d3 every feeding you dust your feeders, calcium with d3 twice a month or so and the same for a multivitamin. Repcal and Sticky Tongue Farms are good brands. Humidity should hover around 50% with spikes after you mist the cage down. Mist the cage down atleast twice a day for about 3-5 minutes Get yourself a dripper in the cage for drinking and that will help with the humdity along with some live plants. No lights at night and do not mist the cage at night before the lights go out. The cage should be dry. Here is a blog from one of our experienced member on egg laying and preparation https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

I have never owned a female but have done a lot of reading on here and sometimes they may stop eating or decrease their food intake, obviously will look bloated from carrying eggs, their coloring will change, and they may start exploring the cage up and down for a place to lay. There may be other signs too, but I like I said I am not familiar with the egg laying process or pregnancy!!! hopefully someone else can chime in or you can always start another thread and ask about "Signs of a Gravid Female" or something to that effect.

Any tips on how to tell when your female is pregnant?

After you put the female with the male she will turn dark if she is gravid. My female ambi turned nearly black about 15 minutes after removing the male from her cage and she stayed that way for a couple of days. A female will usually slow down on her eating and start hanging around the lower levels of the cage when she is ready to lay. She is noticeably plumper shortly before laying her eggs whether fertile or infertile. A female should lay her eggs between 30 and 60 days after a sucessful mating. Hope this helps!

Are you going to quarantine the new chameleon when you get it?

You said..."I've read that females lay eggs even if they are not fertile, how will I know when she is gravid?"...they can lay infertile eggs even when not mated (you said if they are not infertile, but I don't think that's what you mean)...but there is no real way to know when they will do it. Signs that they are getting ready to lay eggs may include but are not limited to...roaming the cage, drinking more, getting wider in the lower half of the body, grumpier attitude. They will sometimes show the gravid/non-receptive dark background color with the vibrant peach markings when they are producing eggs, but it can come and go.

You asked..."What should I make her a laying bin out of? When should I put it in her enclosure?"...you should put it in the cage once she is sexually mature and you said you're getting an adult...so put it in when you get her! It can be any opaque container that is at least 12" deep x 12" x 8". I use a washed playsand to fill it with. The sand should be moist enough to hold a tunnel if you dig one in it.

After you put the female with the male she will turn dark if she is gravid. My female ambi turned nearly black about 15 minutes after removing the male from her cage and she stayed that way for a couple of days. A female will usually slow down on her eating and start hanging around the lower levels of the cage when she is ready to lay. She is noticeably plumper shortly before laying her eggs whether fertile or infertile. A female should lay her eggs between 30 and 60 days after a sucessful mating. Hope this helps!

Kool. Thanks guys. I think I have all the info I need.

I'll be sure to post some pics when I get her.

Back
Top Bottom