panther chameleon beginner tank

Ketchup!

Hey I'm quite new to chameleons and the whole hobby! However, I've done an extensive amount of research and set up before i brought the little guy home he's a panther chameleon and the breeder didn't tell me the age but my guess is around 4-5 weeks old now I have a hybrid glass enclosure that's 20 inches wide and deep and 45 inches tall and I'm kind of stumped on how to get more branches in the tank! I've used these zip tie stick pads that you can loop zip ties through and I have a vine that goes around the tank. but i wanna add more walk ways and i was thinking of getting a bigger log/lumber that I drill holes into so i can add branches. also it would be super helpful if I could get some tips on what my enclosure is lacking

here's the man himself Ketchup!
IMG_9600.jpg

PXL_20230726_050946676.jpg

PXL_20230726_050941198.jpg

PXL_20230726_050927625.jpg

Welcome! You are in the right place! Everyone here is so helpful and nice. I love his name btw!

I have a long branch in each corner standing upright. I zip tied branches horizontal between them to kind of make like a scaffold. Then just added branches and vines from there. No need for drilling, just regular old zip ties. I believe there is a good video on YouTube from Neptune the chameleon that shows how to do this. I’ll try to find it for you.

For tips about what your enclosure is lacking, I would suggest a husbandry review. I won’t be much help for that (I’m still fairly new and I keep a veiled not a panther) HOWEVER, if you fill out this form I attached, someone can do a husbandry review for you. It was sooo helpful when I first started. Just answer these questions with ad much detail as possible and photos always help! Someone will come along and take a look at it.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8153.jpeg
    IMG_8153.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Cute little guy. What type of light do you have in the dome? Where is the blue light coming from ?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Cute little guy. What type of light do you have in the dome? Where is the blue light coming from ?
It's a T8 light fixture which I know is not as good as a t5 but money is kinda tight and I can't go and get one

Hey there... welcome to the forum. You want to rework your structure. Pull all sticky pads out. Nothing sticky should be in the enclosure this is a big risk with humidity and the pad detaching and becoming stuck to the chameleon.

You know the plastic lattice for yards? Go get that. Cut it down so that you have panels you can slide in on both sides. You can do the back if you want to. Then you use zip ties to hook your branches to that plastic lattice. Clean cut your zip ties after so you do not have sharp edges.

How far is your branches below from your T8 fixture? What bulb strength does your T8 have in it? Make sure it is not the fixture that has the plastic piece covering the bulb.

Hey there... welcome to the forum. You want to rework your structure. Pull all sticky pads out. Nothing sticky should be in the enclosure this is a big risk with humidity and the pad detaching and becoming stuck to the chameleon.

You know the plastic lattice for yards? Go get that. Cut it down so that you have panels you can slide in on both sides. You can do the back if you want to. Then you use zip ties to hook your branches to that plastic lattice. Clean cut your zip ties after so you do not have sharp edges.

How far is your branches below from your T8 fixture? What bulb strength does your T8 have in it? Make sure it is not the fixture that has the plastic piece covering the bulb.
I don't have any way of hanging the lattice other then the top but the top comes off so it helps with maintenance. The t8 is around 6-8 inches away from the branches and it's the open bulb no plastic covering it.

Welcome! You are in the right place! Everyone here is so helpful and nice. I love his name btw!

I have a long branch in each corner standing upright. I zip tied branches horizontal between them to kind of make like a scaffold. Then just added branches and vines from there. No need for drilling, just regular old zip ties. I believe there is a good video on YouTube from Neptune the chameleon that shows how to do this. I’ll try to find it for you.

For tips about what your enclosure is lacking, I would suggest a husbandry review. I won’t be much help for that (I’m still fairly new and I keep a veiled not a panther) HOWEVER, if you fill out this form I attached, someone can do a husbandry review for you. It was sooo helpful when I first started. Just answer these questions with ad much detail as possible and photos always help! Someone will come along and take a look at it.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Where do you get all your branches??

I don't have any way of hanging the lattice other then the top but the top comes off so it helps with maintenance. The t8 is around 6-8 inches away from the branches and it's the open bulb no plastic covering it.
You would not hang the lattice. You would cut it to fit inside up against the glass.

Look at the bulb and see what strength it is. You really need a 10.0 or 12% T8 bulb for a 6 inch distance to get minimum UVB levels.

You would not hang the lattice. You would cut it to fit inside up against the glass.

Look at the bulb and see what strength it is. You really need a 10.0 or 12% T8 bulb for a 6 inch distance to get minimum UVB levels.
The bulb is a 10.0

Is the lattice study?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

well its a male panther chameleon and ive had him for about a week now.
i handle him a little not to much however
since hes so young i hand feed him till he turns his cheek and walks away. crickets dusted in calcium without d3 and i gutload them with bell peppers usually
i have repti calcium with and without d3
automatic mister every 6 hours for 30 seconds and i hand mist sometimes
he has not been tested and his poops look fine the white and brown
hes very curious! sometimes when i get to the enclosure he bolts over and checks me out

screen on top and a small panel on the front the rest is glass 20inx20inx40in
i have a t8 10.0 light bar thats 18 inches adjustable heat bulb
peak temp is 90 right by the heat light and 80 lower
humidity is around 70 throughout the day and 80-90 at night
i just have 2 pathos one very small and one super viney
i have a couple fans in the room and im the only one that walks in n out of the room usually and the cage with its stand is 6 feet tall (im 6'4 however so i kinda walk around on my knees)
and i live in southern cali

Back
Top Bottom