New To Forum. Husbandry Check

Hello Everyone. I am pretty new here. I mainly keep to myself and read what everyone else has to say. Just thought I'd Introduce myself and get some second opinions on my set up!
Thanks in advance for any help! I look forward to learning from you all!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Sambava Panther Chameleon he is Apx 2 years old. He has been in my care 16 months. I believe he was 4-6 months when I got him.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I'll try to hold him once a week. Depends on how he is reacting to me.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him every other day. I rotate between Dubia Roaches and Crickets. With an occasional treat. Gut loading wise I am trying out something new. I am using bee polen in addition to some fresh veggies I have available.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am currently using the Repashy Calcium Plus LoD with every feeding and have been pretty happy with the results.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I use the mist king. I run it twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening 3 min cycle. I also have a dripper that runs for about 12 hrs. Occasionaly ill catch him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Fecal is normal. I have never had him tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen Cage (3 sides foamed) Top and Front Screen are for the ventilation. 30"x30"x60" (always working on it and adding to it)
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5 ReptiSun 24" LED UVB Terrarium Hood 12hr cycle. I have 2 flood lights I use for the plants they are on a 12 hour cycle. I keep my purple heat bulb on 24hrs.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The floor is 70f and the basking spot is 85f. Lowest overnight temp 65f. I have a laser thermometer. I also use a hygrometer that I leave in the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 55-60 %. When the mist system goes off it is around 80-85%. I Have a hygrometer that I leave in cage. I also have a handheld hygrometer that I use to double check.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 2 schefflera plants 1 the plant in the middle of cage and 1 on the back right corner(a smaller one). I have a Ficus Pumila on one side(it is starting to grow upwards on the foam). A Pothos that I have planted in the ground growing up a pole.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Corner of Room. Ceiling Fan In center of room apx 3ft away. Air vent to side of cage apx 5 ft away. The top of the Cage is apx 80" off the floor (it sits on a 17" stand).
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Southern California

Current Problem - No problems. Just want some opinions on set up. If I can improve anything. I would love to do so.

20200322_151450.jpg 20200409_112935.jpg 20200422_084841.jpg 20200314_230741.jpg (This picture is before I transfered him to his new set up)

20200709_194937.jpg This is showing some optional basking spots for him ( The mist king is also shown in this photo as well.)

Hi and welcome. ? All looks good to my eyes, but I have to ask about the purple heat bulb. Why do you leave it on all the time? Does it put out any light? Colored lights aren’t good for chameleon eyes and they do like it pitch dark when sleeping. I love your enclosure. It looks great! Is it bioactive? I’d add many more branches and vines...more little roads for your cham to travel and use. Only other input I have is it’s always a good thing to get a fecal checked for parasites.

Hi and welcome. ? All looks good to my eyes, but I have to ask about the purple heat bulb. Why do you leave it on all the time? Does it put out any light? Colored lights aren’t good for chameleon eyes and they do like it pitch dark when sleeping. I love your enclosure. It looks great! Is it bioactive? I’d add many more branches and vines...more little roads for your cham to travel and use. Only other input I have is it’s always a good thing to get a fecal checked for parasites.

I was told that this light didnt effect his eyes by someone at my reptile shop." It's the Zilla Night BLACK heat" I use this one because it is the 100w and it keeps it warmer. If it's bad I'll totally get rid of it. Sometimes I put the ac on at night and wanted to give him an option to warm up if it got to cold. I added some bamboo sticks and vines. I'll post an updated pic in Am! Yes it is bioactive. I have tempered springtails and I also have porcelio scaber giant orange isopods which are thriving at the bottom!
Okay I will find a local vet that is good with chameleons and get it taken care of on my next day off! Thank you

I agree, I wouldn't use the purple bulb at all, but definitely turn it off at night. The temps can drop pretty low at night. It is actually beneficial to them to have a night temp drop. Also going to agree with @MissSkittles about wanting to add a few more branches or pathways. My favorite thing to use is a small manzanita branch.

You do have a nice cage! Good job on that!! Welcome to the forums....or welcome from behind the shadows. Lol

EDIT: I missed where you said you already more branches.

I would ditch the night light!. Your cham doesn't need any extra heat at night unless temps get below about 60 (I doubt you let your house get that cold). Agree with @AmandaS that Manzanita branches are great! They create lots of little paths for our chams to use. I have 6 manzanita branches and 6 live plants in my enclosure.

I agree, I wouldn't use the purple bulb at all, but definitely turn it off at night. The temps can drop pretty low at night. It is actually beneficial to them to have a night temp drop. Also going to agree with @MissSkittles about wanting to add a few more branches or pathways. My favorite thing to use is a small manzanita branch.

You do have a nice cage! Good job on that!! Welcome to the forums....or welcome from behind the shadows. Lol

EDIT: I missed where you said you already more branches.
Alright. That is good to know. I Just switched it over to to the timed 12 hour cycle! Thank you so much for the input.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

*behind the shadows* hahaha I like that.

I would ditch the night light!. Your cham doesn't need any extra heat at night unless temps get below about 60 (I doubt you let your house get that cold). Agree with @AmandaS that Manzanita branches are great! They create lots of little paths for our chams to use. I have 6 manzanita branches and 6 live plants in my enclosure.
First thing I did this morning was set it to the 12 hour cycle! It definitely does not get that cold.
I can always add more branches! This place has a ton of room. Ill post an updated Pic so you can see where I am at with Branches!
Thank you for the Info. It is greatly appreciated.

Finally someone else who's first cham dosnen't die early.... most ppl's chams rarely are in their care for a few months - you have done very well for cham one :) . I'm just like you my first cham I purchased christmas 2018 and is still thriving. Can we see more photos of him? I have a male sambava too!

Last edited:
Finally someone else who's first cham dosnen't die early.... most ppl's chams rarely are in their care for a few months - you have done very well for cham one :) . I'm just like you my first cham I purchased christmas 2018 and is still thriving. Can we see more photos of him? I have a male sambava too!
That makes me so sad when that happens! Unfortunately it happens too often :\ I will post a picture I took this morning(from my cell phone) He is on top left... I will take More of him when I get home. All my pictures are on my Camera and haven't uploaded yet.
20200710_091335.jpg

Back
Top Bottom