new to chams, opinions?

glaceauz

I've been thinking about getting a cham for a while, so naturally i've been doing my research and reading up on it for the past few months. I found a local dealer selling some veiled's born on feb 14th (how could i turn that down :p ), which i plan to buy in the near future. I have my cage pretty much set up, with the exception of a dripper, a mister (getting both tomorrow), and a friend is using my fixture for my uvb bulb for a snake at the moment but i can get it back at any time. any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated :) here's the set up so far

the open space in the bottom is for my schefflera i need to repot
207rzeo.jpg

humidity is very low i know, still need to get everything for it
i3gzuv.jpg

149022s.jpg

2d8nh9s.jpg

a view from the top
4kebgz.jpg

i plan on getting more live plants, and i have a small pothos in the back

Where are you located in florida? If you are near tampa I have baby veileds that are gonna be ready to be sold in about 2 weeks. PM me if you are intersted.

looks pretty good so far! Once you get some real plants in there then humidity should be fine with regular misting. I was just told to poke a very tiny hold in the bottom of a big cup and theres your driper and bam what do you know! it worked lol so if you wanna save some money there you go. and last but not least I personally would put more sticks/vines in there so my cham could have sturdier places to climp, jmo :)

the fake flower might be problematic, if they have some sort of detachable parts (such as the stamen area, and so on)..
Veiled chameleons notoriously love to chomp plant matters..So, in the future, he might try to eat/ bite those plastic flowers.. So, there is a risk choking and impaction if the plastic matter is swallowed..

My suggestion is less plastic plants and more real plants. In fact, if you can, have all the plants to be real (pothos, Hibiscus, Ficus Alii, or Schefflera arboricola). The biovine is ok..
With more real plants, you will have no problem with humidity.

Hope that helps.
Congrats on getting your chameleon.

looks good! what size cage is it?? Waiting for your chameleon is the worst part. Kudos for doing your research first! Make sure to have all of the supplements before you get him/her!!

Where are you located in florida? If you are near tampa I have baby veileds that are gonna be ready to be sold in about 2 weeks. PM me if you are intersted.

im in safety harbor so pretty close. the store i found them at is called herps in oldsmar

looks good! what size cage is it?? Waiting for your chameleon is the worst part. Kudos for doing your research first! Make sure to have all of the supplements before you get him/her!!

its a reptibreeze 16x16x20, ill be moving up to a 2x2x4 when he gets bigger

looks pretty good so far! Once you get some real plants in there then humidity should be fine with regular misting. I was just told to poke a very tiny hold in the bottom of a big cup and theres your driper and bam what do you know! it worked lol so if you wanna save some money there you go. and last but not least I personally would put more sticks/vines in there so my cham could have sturdier places to climp, jmo :)

yeah i plan on putting all live plants with more vines in, just wanted to get a working set up while i get my plants established

That's insane I live in safety harbor to! I live right on 580 next to sun groves. I would not recommended buying from herps hobbie shop.

Have you seen the way he treats his chameleons? They don't have any plants or any thing in there cages. Especially the adults. He has a water dish that is filled with poop and dead crickets that he rarely cleans. Some times when I go in there he has a dripper dripping about every 15sec but in my opinion that is pathetic.

Have you seen the way he treats his chameleons? They don't have any plants or any thing in there cages. Especially the adults. He has a water dish that is filled with poop and dead crickets that he rarely cleans. Some times when I go in there he has a dripper dripping about every 15sec but in my opinion that is pathetic.

Compared to other exotic pet places..he's okay, in my opinion.He gives them everything they need, but ONLY what they need to stay alive. Usually when you buy from a pet store, they aren't taken great care of, but I think Herp's is doing what he can with his budget. You'd obviously be better off buying from someone off the forums, like Casey. Zach, you probably even know him, ahah. That way you know your veiled came from a good area.

Heck-even I live near Phillipe park! Casey is a great guy and he keeps his chams in tip top conditions. His babies will no doubt be beautiful and healthy! Herp Hobby is primarily a snake breeder. He swears that Veileds can be "trained" to drink out of water dishers, etc...so I won't sell to him. I agree with bimac there-not the worst but not the best for a cham.

yeah i saw the cages for the parents of his clutch and they were housed together and they didnt look too great, but i thought i'd atleast be getting a baby out of there. i'm leaning towards getting one from casey now :)

Back
Top Bottom