New to chams and the forum

tatted1

Just wanted to say this site has helped me soooo much in getting prepared to buy my cham.Hes about 1.5 yrs old and I named him Malokai(AKA... KAI).The guy I bought him from had him in a wire bird cage and had been using same UVB bulb since he bought him as a baby.He looks to be ok though, great coloring, active, good eater, and he hisses when I go to get him out so I think he must be pretty healthy. I am almost done building new cage 2.5X2.5X5' made with nice hardwood and screen. Bought new reptisun 5.0 and new 100W Zoomed basking bulb also have third clamp lamp with normal 60W bulb for more light and a 40W blue bulb for night time.Have repcal w D3 and herptivite. Been feeding lightly dusted crickets and superworms so far.Made my own dripper setup and mist him and plants 2-3 X a day.He has some fake vines and a live pothos in his current home and lots of branches to walk around on.Sorry for long thread but just wanting opinions on how I am doing. Im addicted already so I want to learn all I can!!!I will post pics soon.Thanks for all of your helpful info would have been lost w/out it

160 watts in bulbs seems too hot

You said you have a 100w basking bulb plus a 60w for more light.
I'm just learning also but believe this would generate far too much heat for any cham.
The way to know is to take temp readings at the basking point and other spots inside the cage.
What kind of chameleon is he?
Hope you'll post pics of the cage and the cham.
After all, everybody loves a good cham pic :D

Welcome and happy to have another cham addict. The only thing I can say is I would lose the blue night light. Chams need no light while sleeping.

Well I guess Ill just stick with the Reptisun 5.0 and the basking bulb then.Thanks for the input.----------------------

Sean

Ok Ive heard to use one and not to but I will take your advice.So thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Here are some pics of Kai. And some of the enclosure I am building. Still trying to figure out a bottom for it and a drain system.All suggestions are welcomed. Pics are not the best but I dont take him out yet since hes new here dont want to add anymore stress.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 143
Hello and welcome to the forms. That's one beautiful veiled!!!! I love veileds.....I have two. I would like to make sure that this handsome boy stays healthy and happy.

You did the right thing by getting a new 5.0 UVB but you don't need all the other lights. Just one basking light and I use a 60 watt household bulb. I keep my adult male at 88 or 89 tops for basking. It needs to be dark at night and cool so he can sleep.

You need to buy some plain calcium witout D3. This is what you will use the most. A boy his age should eat ever other day and you'll want to dust with the plain calcium every other time he eats. Only use the D3 calcium 2 times a month and the herptivite once a month. Always lightly dust your feeders and be sure to gutload your feeders with collard greens, carrots, kale and oranges. You can also buy, here on the forums, a pre-mixed gutload if you'd rather.

I'm also giving you a link below that really helped me out allot when I first got my veiled. The forum is great with plenty of experienced members. Feel free to ask questions anytime and we always like to see pictures.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchamele...-max=2008-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

Very pretty Veiled you have there. As far as drainage you could always just build a nice little wooden stand to match the cage. Make it lift the cage about 6 to 8 inches off the ground and place a simple turkey basting pan underneath.

Should have cage finished tomorrow and moving Kai in! I cant wait so he has more room to roam around.Ive spent alot of time on it,but it was all worth it.Post pics of completed cage later.

Back
Top Bottom