New Staple Feeders

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello! I really am hating the crickets, so I am thinking of changing staples. I was wondering what staples you all use, and here is what I am thinking as a staple:
A mix of:
Silkworms
Mantids
BSFL's and BSF
Do these sound okay? I'm not sure, I think silkworms are high in phosphorus, but I am not sure.

Mantids and silkworms do not make good staples. Staples have certain requirements to be called such.
Yes, thank you for the reply. Are they high in phosphorus? I was almost sure that they weren't, but I just wanted a second opinion.

Yes, thank you for the reply. Are they high in phosphorus? I was almost sure that they weren't, but I just wanted a second opinion.
I know a panther breeder in Baltimore that feeds a ton of silk worms. Possibly more than half their diet. The name was something like charm city chameleons. Nice lady. If you can find her online you could ask. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

I know a panther breeder in Baltimore that feeds a ton of silk worms. Possibly more than half their diet. The name was something like charm city chameleons. Nice lady. If you can find her online you could ask. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.
Thanks!

Your looking for something that can be gutloaded with various plants vegetables and fruits to maximize nutrient concentration since we are limited in the number of insects we have available. Roaches, crickets/locust can all be gutloaded and have chitin which ends up as dietary fiber.. there’s tons of other more experienced members @nick barta that may be able to help

Locusts aren't easily gutloaded, you'd be surprised. I don't recommend them as the only staple. Technically you only need one to two staple feeders, but need 4 feeders at LEAST in total. I prefer no less than six, but go above it myself. Most people can't do six or can't do over.

Mantids are WAY to much time to raise as feeders. Hatching Ooths is fine for new chameleon hatchlings, and cost effective. Black Soldier Flies and larvae are the best natural Calcium source, but if you want to raise them, the food slurry they eat will smell; lIndasgonebuggie.com has them at reasonable prices. Silks are hard to find to buy on a regular basis, some keepers raise them on Silk Chow, some on Mulberry leaves, they do seem to die off for many who try.
I would suggest you look at developing a colony Orange Head Roaches which don't climb smooth surfaces, don't fly, and get bigger than Dubias. Another option is Red Runner roaches, which move as fast as crickets. Hornworms, Super Worms, and Blue Bottle flies are also options.
CHEERS!

Nick

Mantids are WAY to much time to raise as feeders. Hatching Ooths is fine for new chameleon hatchlings, and cost effective. Black Soldier Flies and larvae are the best natural Calcium source, but if you want to raise them, the food slurry they eat will smell; lIndasgonebuggie.com has them at reasonable prices. Silks are hard to find to buy on a regular basis, some keepers raise them on Silk Chow, some on Mulberry leaves, they do seem to die off for many who try.
I would suggest you look at developing a colony Orange Head Roaches which don't climb smooth surfaces, don't fly, and get bigger than Dubias. Another option is Red Runner roaches, which move as fast as crickets. Hornworms, Super Worms, and Blue Bottle flies are also options.
CHEERS!

Nick
I know that mantids are a lot of work, but I like mantids as pets as well, they wouldn't be just as feeders. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom