Insect Invaders

werevoulf

So I am wondering which bugs are okay to have loose in my panther chameleons enclosure.

Crickets get out of the cup and runner, silkworms can climb out of the cup. A little wet and BSFL are on the run. Is it okay to have silkworms just hanging around in there until he finds them, if he ever does?

And other bugs?

What ones are best to never leave in there? Which are okay? What should I expect if I can't find a loose silkworm or roach?

These bugs are buggin me, man.

Why not use a feeding station like this that keeps the feeder bugs contained? https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shooting-gallery-chameleon-feeder-1/
To answer your questions though - crickets if left can and will bite your chameleon at night unless you leave some sort of piece of veg or green for them to eat, silkworms and hornworms besides losing the nutrients that were in their stomachs, will die and rot and believe it or not will smell terrible (plus be a nasty breeding ground for bacteria). Bsfl will pupate eventually into flies but they are small and squirmy and may escape before that happens. Roaches can escape too and is that something you want hiding in the dark corners of your home?

So I would never let superworms get free in a cage. They eat through everything. I also would never free feed hornworms. These suction cup to the branches and can damage a chams tongue when they do not release from the branch. I only hand feed those.

Certain roaches I would not let get loose like red runners.

Silkworms, bsfl, and crickets are fine if they get out. The Chameleon will just hunt them. BSFL may eventually pupate into flies and hatch out in the cage.

I agree with Beman. BSF are great to have loose in the enclosure. A great feeder and if they pupate into flies, they are harmless to your pet. The flies also promote a fun feeding response.

Why not use a feeding station like this that keeps the feeder bugs contained? https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shooting-gallery-chameleon-feeder-1/
To answer your questions though - crickets if left can and will bite your chameleon at night unless you leave some sort of piece of veg or green for them to eat, silkworms and hornworms besides losing the nutrients that were in their stomachs, will die and rot and believe it or not will smell terrible (plus be a nasty breeding ground for bacteria). Bsfl will pupate eventually into flies but they are small and squirmy and may escape before that happens. Roaches can escape too and is that something you want hiding in the dark corners of your home?
I have one of those. Crickets still jump out, silkworms can climb out. I have only ever left crickets inside because I cannot always find them.

The silkworms can just climb out of anything if I literally do not sit and watch them. BSFL have gotten out before but those I assume are fine in the cage. I've read enough for them.

He will not eat hornworms right now and they can't get out of the cup anyway.

Just wanted a general reference for possibilities since I am still figuring out what he will and won't eat.

I hand feed only silkworms. It’s a nice way to build and reinforce trust with my chams. I put a silkie on the back of my hand and hold it out towards my cham slowly. It can take time and lots of patience, so brace your arm if you can. Also helps to avoid looking at your cham.

I hand feed only silkworms. It’s a nice way to build and reinforce trust with my chams. I put a silkie on the back of my hand and hold it out towards my cham slowly. It can take time and lots of patience, so brace your arm if you can. Also helps to avoid looking at your cham.
I attempt this daily but he hasn't wanted to yet. I've barely had him a month though so I know it takes a while. He only eats when I leave him alone to.

I try it with my eyes on the bug usually and keeping myself right in view. Hopefully one day.

Was mostly just concerned with certain insects being out and about in there too long.

I attempt this daily but he hasn't wanted to yet. I've barely had him a month though so I know it takes a while. He only eats when I leave him alone to.

I try it with my eyes on the bug usually and keeping myself right in view. Hopefully one day.

Was mostly just concerned with certain insects being out and about in there too long.
Oh he is young. Yeah myboy was terrifiedof hornworms when he was young. Try again once he is older say 8 months. Mine loves em now he does that double take and snaps them out of my hand with his tongue. Just make sure your crickets arent too big. The length of the cricket should not be longer then the space between your chams eyes. also crickets will hang out near the lights. I use one of those long glass candles empty of course and recatch them if too many loose. I like my chams to hunt though. Keeps them from being bored all day

If i get a feeder like the one you attached, can small crickets hop out of there? For example if I put in 15 one day, would they all eventually hop out, or just maybe one or two?

If i get a feeder like the one you attached, can small crickets hop out of there? For example if I put in 15 one day, would they all eventually hop out, or just maybe one or two?
If they remain uneaten for too long, some can escape. My chams all immediately empty their shooting gallery as soon as I put their bugs in it.

Back
Top Bottom