New Reptisun UVB/LED

If 40mw produces a UVI of around 1, then 5.0mw should be like an eighth of that right?
So they're recommending a UVI for chams at around 0.125UVI instead of 1.5-3.0? :confused::unsure:

No, they are not listing distance when they give you output numbers. They just have "5mw" they dont say if that is 1" or 36", they dont even say if 5mw is ferg 1 or ferg 4. 5mw at 36" is good, 5mw at 8" as you said, is only .125 UVI.

You know, at the end of the day, all the studies, all the field work, all the books written.

It all boils down to 1 phosphor formula that was created in the early 1990's. Everything else is literally "how much do you want it to glow?". Doesnt matter if its a T8 or T5HO. All a reptile bulb is, is 3-4 phosphors that peak correctly to make "6500k". "our" eye balls interpet the Red Green and Blue into "full color" just like a tv set (doent matter if its tube, plasma or lcd) flashes Red Green or Blue at certain intervals, and our brain interprets it as "Orange" or "purple" etc. That chameleon may never see "orange" since the bulb never outputs "orange".

And what makes it a "reptile" bulb is just 1 extra phosphor that peaks for the bone growth section of UVB, any UVA is just a biproduct of the UVB bleeding up. Anything else is just an argument on how much you want that single phosphor to glow.

You can study reptiles and birds all you want, get as many doctorates as you want. At the end of the day, its just marketing argument on how much "Gd3+ activated inorganic lanthanum phosphate (LaPO4)" you want coated on your bulb.

If you want a true step forward, you have to wait till some headlight manufacture or something, comes up with a light that does not put out RGB, but puts out a smooth spectrum with oranges etc, then we can slap a lizard on the box and sell it :p

wow UVB up to 40 inches away... So that would be the top of our standard cages to the bottom basically. Wish they put more info for distances in relation to UVI with screen and without. Because it would seem like this might be too potent for the way we set up chameleon cages if the reach is 40 inches.

wow UVB up to 40 inches away... So that would be the top of our standard cages to the bottom basically. Wish they put more info for distances in relation to UVI with screen and without. Because it would seem like this might be too potent for the way we set up chameleon cages if the reach is 40 inches.
Yeah UVI would be a lot more helpful
The little picture I think is supposed to somewhat represent Ferguson zones in a very general way, but if that’s the case it would be suspending the light in the neighborhood of 18+ inches above the basking branch of I’m reading it right 😳

C0A2D483-74A5-410F-B891-6B1B7A47DE23.png

Yeah UVI would be a lot more helpful
The little picture I think is supposed to somewhat represent Ferguson zones in a very general way, but if that’s the case it would be suspending the light in the neighborhood of 18+ inches above the basking branch of I’m reading it right 😳

View attachment 312267
I think I will just stick with T5HO fixtures and my arcadia 6% bulbs lol. Those that want to play with this I certainly hope have a solarmeter to check their levels.

This seems like a LOT of money I was expecting like $100 at most but then I open it and am like WOAH yeah I think ima stuck to my dual bulb fixtures with a led and a uvb desperate cuz no thanks I’m spending less for something that’s proven to work I do hope people test it safely in the future perfecting this technology will do wonders for the amount of outlets we use

Actually, it's an advertisement.

But I read it.
Consider the size of these UVB LED chips; there are four small diodes no bigger than pencil erasers, that are responsible for producing a 24-inch wide UVB ‘footprint’ up to 40-inches away from the light!
Graphically, this looks like this:
1634047061845.png
Which gives us a 7.2" footprint at 12" away, which makes me curious what distances they recommend for various reptiles. If I'm reading the graphic in post #25 correctly, it looks like they're suggesting a range of 18"-24" between bulb & basking, though I can't see/read anything specific.

Pairing these UVB chips with bright daylight LEDs is important as well, as reptiles require bright visible light over their basking site; to accomplish this we added eight 6500K daylight chips to provide a nice and bright visual cue for them.
This is a good idea IF they're providing enough 6500K daylight to grow plants throughout a 24 x 24 x 48 enclosure. If not, supplemental plant lighting may be necessary, and then we're back to the reptile trying to bask under the bright(er) plant lights.

Might make more sense to offer a plain UVB version (no 6500 daylight chips) so folks can still control the 3 kinds of lights (basking, UVB, grow/plant) separately.

Andrew Elston, Zoo Med: Our ReptiSun® UVB/LED is suggested for 40 gallon or larger sized enclosures, however it is very important to make sure there is enough distance between the lamp and your animal and that you’re providing the right level of exposure for that species. To make this information easier to digest, we applied a graphic on the side of the package that shows what Ferguson Zone is provided at a certain distance.
Setting these bulbs up at the appropriate distance to your animal will determine how effective it is at satisfying their daily UV requirements, and the best standard to measure that dose is the UV Index.
Unfortunately, that graphic wasn't terribly helpful (to me).

The accepted standard from other manufacturers is that a fluorescent UVB light should be replaced after 6 months of use, however Zoo Med uses a higher efficiency phosphor coating in our UVB lamps that ages even slower, which is why we have always had an industry leading 12-month warranty on our bulbs.

Dr Baines took a look at the UVB LED from zoo med. She is certainly one of the foremost experts in this area

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Zo...IPunsoWAaHqFVWPM0xQxXZsov5ds8EhNwxL9N5GjmocXg
Thanks for posting this! (y)(y)😃

Slow your roll guys. Dr. Frances M. Baines is considered by many to be the world's leading authority on UVB & D3 in reptiles.

I (briefly) read the report DocZ linked—more carefully than a skim, but less carefully than a perusal.
The salient points in the Discussion of this LED UVB (IMO) are close to what I've been cautious about:
So for the natural self-limiting process to occur, preventing excess and potentially damaging levels of vitamin D3 formation, a full spectrum from shortwavelength
UVB around 295nm, right up to UVA around 335nm is needed. These lamps do not provide this.
Looking to the Future
In my opinion this lamp needs improvement before it can replace high quality UVB fluorescent tubes in reptile husbandry. At present, my research suggests that no commercially available LEDs exist with a stable, suitable irradiance to fill in in the “missing” wavelengths in that short-wavelength UVA region between 320nm and about 340nm. However, there is no doubt that in time they will be developed, and a way found to create a much more “sunlike” spectrum. With the inevitable phasing-out of lamps using mercury, and increasing concern with improving electrical efficiency, fluorescent tubes will eventually become obsolete and it seems likely that LEDs will take their place. Should these short-wavelength UVA LEDS be developed, and incorporated in lamps such as this, the future could be bright in more ways than one.

Thanks for posting this! (y)(y)😃

Slow your roll guys. Dr. Frances M. Baines is considered by many to be the world's leading authority on UVB & D3 in reptiles.

I (briefly) read the report DocZ linked—more carefully than a skim, but less carefully than a perusal.
The salient points in the Discussion of this LED UVB (IMO) are close to what I've been cautious about:
However, if there is so much vitamin D3 being produced that the capacity for removal by vitamin-D-binding protein is exceeded, another process also prevents overproduction. This is the destruction of the excess vitamin D3 molecules left behind in these very superficial skin layers by the very same wavelengths that are involved in its synthesis (290nm – 335nm).

Without the upper UVA, you can only generate D3, you can not "regulate" D3.

However, if there is so much vitamin D3 being produced that the capacity for removal by vitamin-D-binding protein is exceeded, another process also prevents overproduction. This is the destruction of the excess vitamin D3 molecules left behind in these very superficial skin layers by the very same wavelengths that are involved in its synthesis (290nm – 335nm).

Without the upper UVA, you can only generate D3, you can not "regulate" D3.
But can the levels removed by DBP and carried to the body, lead to overdose. I think she suggests it could

Back
Top Bottom