New Reptisun UVB/LED

Vinesar21

Avid Member

Attachments

• 20211009_213759.jpg
    20211009_213759.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 180
I mean, we already have the common T5. I don't think it's nessacary to spend that much.

Sorry... I'm only getting a blank page from the link.

What I don’t get is why dose John Courteney-Smith would go to say that uvb led is far from being ready and yet there is 2 companies who now have them available ZooMed and Vivtech. 🤔
IMO there's a difference between 'ready' and 'available' (e.g. Microsoft's entire history of releases).

There is also the phenomenon of new tech prices—sky-high to be the first kid on your block, but will (if a worthy product/technology) come down in subsequent years.

We've been on this cusp for... a couple of years, anyway. It's nice to finally see some progress.
I won't be running out & replacing anything, but neither—I imagine—did many T8 owners when T5s first came out.

Sorry... I'm only getting a blank page from the link.

IMO there's a difference between 'ready' and 'available' (e.g. Microsoft's entire history of releases).

There is also the phenomenon of new tech prices—sky-high to be the first kid on your block, but will (if a worthy product/technology) come down in subsequent years.

We've been on this cusp for... a couple of years, anyway. It's nice to finally see some progress.
I won't be running out & replacing anything, but neither—I imagine—did many T8 owners when T5s first came out.
Sorry but are you comparing tech that can be done on a PC to UVB tech that can affect the livelihood of your reptile?

Last edited:
What I don’t get is why dose John Courteney-Smith would go to say that uvb led is far from being ready and yet there is 2 companies who now have them available ZooMed and Vivtech. 🤔
I think you have to look at who is saying it... John Courtney-Smith is all about the animals and their welfare. So he is not going to put out or endorse something that has not been thoroughly tested... The other companies that are moving forward with it. Now how much research and money have they invested in their products to know that they are not going to cause harm? ZooMed is a big business that is in it for profits. Then looking at Vivtech. This looks like a really small company. What research and development was actually done with their product? How many years of testing did they do and with what species? I just went through their entire website and can not find anywhere that it talks about this.

I think that bringing something to market and calling it Ready does not always mean tested or safe.

I think you have to look at who is saying it... John Courtney-Smith is all about the animals and their welfare. So he is not going to put out or endorse something that has not been thoroughly tested... The other companies that are moving forward with it. Now how much research and money have they invested in their products to know that they are not going to cause harm? ZooMed is a big business that is in it for profits. Then looking at Vivtech. This looks like a really small company. What research and development was actually done with their product? How many years of testing did they do and with what species? I just went through their entire website and can not find anywhere that it talks about this.

I think that bringing something to market and calling it Ready does not always mean tested or safe.
Ok yes Zoomed is a big name company but then again so is Arcadia. Think about who and what company did everyone look to for reptile husbandry? Yes it was most likely Zoomed and yes they are a big name in this hobby but from what I have seen and read they do care for the well being of there reptiles. Now for Vivtech it is owned by Ryan McVeigh with a personal collection of reptiles and also who played a big part in the company Zilla.

Ok yes Zoomed is a big name company but then again so is Arcadia. Think about who and what company did everyone look to for reptile husbandry? Yes it was most likely Zoomed and yes they are a big name in this hobby but from what I have seen and read they do care for the well being of there reptiles. Now for Vivtech it is owned by Ryan McVeigh with a personal collection of reptiles and also who played a big part in the company Zilla.
I get that... I just want to see the testing. Arcadia puts a ton into their testing. They use it on their animals first. Heck they even make UVB lighting for birds. Vivtech is not even selling them yet. As for Zoo med... Um they are the creators of the chameleon kit. And well I do not think I need to say much about how much of a piece of crap that product is. So I do not put much into the products they sell or the thought they put into them.

The other thing I think that we need to think of is how is this type of lighting going to change our supplementation? I mean look at how differently that has changed just with the T5HO lighting options vs T8 and then what T10 before that?

I am a firm believer in something being proven safe is all. I do not think I would be one that would let my animals be the guinea pig. Let them come out with it and it be used in the hobby for a few years. Then maybe I will consider trying it. But as for me, I think using the T5HO or even the T8 fixtures is a better option since we know what they do and what supplementation should be used with them at certain UVI levels.

When "blue" leds came out in the late 90's and early 2000's, it was $2-3 per low power led. That blue LED on the PS2, was mad expensive.

Zoomed has been making quality reptile bulbs for at least 30 years. Till arcadia came along, it was literally the only good choice in the usa (unless you wanted to save a few bucks and roll the dice on a repti-glo etc), and the gold standard.

Still at say $200, thats ALOT of bulbs. Even at 4 year service, you are out like $50 in bulbs if you replace yearly.

https://zoomed.com/uvbled/

I cant find real readings. Its dumbed down "for us" and just says keep your chameleon around 2ft away" but doesnt say what the output is at 2ft. And the spectrum graph just says 5.0mw, not UVI at an unknown distance. 40mw is around 1 UVI for reference.

Im also partial to Zoomed just because they put water dragons on everything :p

John Courtney-Smith knows zilch about how to build a bulb, or build a meter. That is not his job.

John Courtney-Smith sets the standard. its up to the engineers to figure out how to meet his standard.

So John Courtney-Smith says i want "this" apple. The engineers say its impossible to make an apple that big. John Courtney-Smith says ok this is the minimum size apple the animals can tolerate. And the engineers make an apple and give it to him. If he does all of the exact same measurements of the apple he wants, and the apple the engineers give him, and they are the same, arcadia starts selling the apple.

And some times the engineers find a technology and say, "Hey we figured out how to make a full size apple". And it goes through the same testing.

Still at say $200, thats ALOT of bulbs. Even at 4 year service, you are out like $50 in bulbs if you replace yearly.

https://zoomed.com/uvbled/
Keeping in mind I haven't seen the original link, the bulb in the above link is supposed to equal/replace... a 24" T5HO, and costs $200? :unsure:

What are folks with larger (36W, 48W) supposed to do? 🤨

I surmise that eventually, someone will mfr. an LED UVB that will work in a ubiquitous Shenzen fixture.

I cant find real readings. Its dumbed down "for us" and just says keep your chameleon around 2ft away" but doesnt say what the output is at 2ft. And the spectrum graph just says 5.0mw, not UVI at an unknown distance. 40mw is around 1 UVI for reference.
If 40mw produces a UVI of around 1, then 5.0mw should be like an eighth of that right?
So they're recommending a UVI for chams at around 0.125UVI instead of 1.5-3.0? :confused::unsure:

Im also partial to Zoomed just because they put water dragons on everything :p
Ooh... a cheap date! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom