New Panther Chameleon is Dark

rittern

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I got my first panther chameleon. He was shipped overnight Friday and we got him Saturday. I'm concerned that he's spent almost all his time with us a brown color. When we first unpacked him he was a black color which I expected since being shipped is a stressful experience). As he got used to his new digs he became a uniform brown color, and mostly hangs out in the basking area. My question is: do I need to be concerned? I know they turn darker when they bask but it just seems like he spends all his time doing so. Would a hotter/higher wattage bulb be necessary? Here are the parameters:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male Panther chameleon. Arrived yesterday.
  • Handling - He was handled regularly at the breeders, but we haven't tried yet (wanting to let him settle in)
  • Feeding - He is eating well, eats 15 gut loaded and calcium dusted crickets per day.
  • Supplements - Calcium without d3 5x/week, calcium with d3 1-2x/week, multivitamin 1x/every other week
  • Watering - We have a mistking system. Out schedule is as follows: 2 min @ 6:30 am, 1 min @ 9 am, 1 min @ 11 am, 1 min @ 1 pm, 1 min @ 3 pm, 1 min @ 5 pm. We have seen him drinking. It seems like a lot of misting but out house is bone dry and its hard to keep humidity up.
  • Fecal Description - Havent seen any yet
  • History - Arrived yeserday!

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Aluminum screen cage, 16x16x30
  • Lighting - 12 hours on 12 hours off. For UVB we use a reptisun 5.0, and for heat we have a 50w basking bulb.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is ~80, drops off to ~70 in the bottom parts of the cage. Lowest overnight is 65.
  • Humidity - We have two humidity meters, it tends to stay around 50. Can't seem to get it higher than that even with frequent misting.
  • Plants - Two live pothos.
  • Placement - In our bedroom, on a desk. We live in a noisy house so the bedroom is the quietest place.
  • Location - VA, USA

Current Problem - Do I need a higher wattage bulb?

Here are some photos of the setup and the chameleon himself.

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_083818167.jpg
    IMG_20171112_083818167.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20171112_083832488.jpg
    IMG_20171112_083832488.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 129
I would get a bit more foliage for him to hide in. Give him a couple days, and if this color stays, post again, as he seems to be stressed.

Thank you! I was planning on going as soon as shops open for the day. I'm sure I would be stressed if I was shipped in a box half way across the coast, too. In your opinion, do I need a higher wattage bulb as well? Or leave it where it's at for now and let him settle in?

Thank you! I was planning on going as soon as shops open for the day. I'm sure I would be stressed if I was shipped in a box half way across the coast, too. In your opinion, do I need a higher wattage bulb as well? Or leave it where it's at for now and let him settle in?

If you want to raise the basking temp you will need a higher wattage bulb or move his basking spot closer to the source, but not too close. You should be looking at the temp of the basking spot, 85-90 is ideal and adjust accordingly. I use a 100w bulb for basking. I use a dimmer switch to regulate the temp. How are you measuring the temp at the basking spot? From experience I know those gauges on the back of your enclosure are not very accurate. You need a probe on the basking spot or check with a digital laser infrared thermometer.

Thanks for the info! I was reading that 85-90 is more for adults than juveniles, and that the younger ones should be kept with a basking spot around 80. Is that incorrect? Yes I expect those gauges to be a little less than accurate, I have a kitchen infrared thermometer that I use to get a more exact reading, but those gauges for a general "gist".

As stated above you need more foliage in there and more vines. Give him more options and he will find his perfect basking spot that he likes. When I first got my guy he stayed dark for about a month, except for when he slept.

Thanks for the info! I was reading that 85-90 is more for adults than juveniles, and that the younger ones should be kept with a basking spot around 80. Is that incorrect? Yes I expect those gauges to be a little less than accurate, I have a kitchen infrared thermometer that I use to get a more exact reading, but those gauges for a general "gist".
Babies should be at 80ish, and adults more mid 80s to 90s. As stated above, the gauges might not be accurate, but I like your idea to be "the gist" as that would be good to get a general idea, and if something looks wrong to use the infrared. All you need is more foliage, and your set! Happy Chameleon Keeping!!! :)

Babies should be at 80ish, and adults more mid 80s to 90s. As stated above, the gauges might not be accurate, but I like your idea to be "the gist" as that would be good to get a general idea, and if something looks wrong to use the infrared. All you need is more foliage, and your set! Happy Chameleon Keeping!!! :)

New setup with some more vines and plants, also upped the wattage to 75, if it gets too warm I will move back down to the 50, thanks for your reply!

Attachments

• 29F39189-0D0F-4397-B7FD-E2662190F549.jpeg
    29F39189-0D0F-4397-B7FD-E2662190F549.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 79
My baby did this in the beginning. I assumed it was because he wasn't yet comfortable. As I interacted with him more and he settled in, he stopped showing any brown after a month.

Sorry, it was the angle, your enclosure looks amazing!
I have kept the 75 watt bulb in at that distance to the top of the cage, how do I know if it is too warm? I can hold my hand at the perch site for an extended period of time, is that sufficient?

I have kept the 75 watt bulb in at that distance to the top of the cage, how do I know if it is too warm? I can hold my hand at the perch site for an extended period of time, is that sufficient?
Use a thermometer, 160 w or even 75 w is extremely high, it could even be over 100 degrees if you are not careful.

Use a thermometer, 160 w or even 75 w is extremely high, it could even be over 100 degrees if you are not careful.
I got an infrared thermometer, the 60 watt bulb is too low and the 75 watt bulb is too high, I got a dimmer for the 75 watt and will try that

Back
Top Bottom