New Panther baby!

sillylily

So, I've been lurking on this site, and have posted maybe once or twice. I've been doing a lot of research to be able to take care of my little guy so I'm pretty confident in my husbandry and what not for the time being… I do have one problem though…

I built a custom enclosure for the boi and it looks great! My dad wanted to put thicker and "holier(?)" wire at the top where the lights will be, and the lil man can reach the ceiling?

1. I am VERY nervous about him getting too close to the basking bulb lamp (his bendy branches are in the mail right now, thanks covid!), so I’m constantly having to watch him, which leads me to this:
2. HE CAN STICK HIS HEAD THROUGH THE WIRE AT THE TOP AND I AM SO SO WORRIED THAT HE WILL SCRATCH HIMSELF OR POKE AN EYE OUT!!!!
3. Will constantly watching him freak him out even if it's from a distance? I really want this to be stress-free for both of us (for obvious reasons)

My boyfriend is currently going to Lowe's to pick up a spray bottle, hygrometer, and timer for the lights because I still haven't gotten those things in the mail!!! I also only have mealworms and will only have them for a couple of days (thank god), because the nearest pet stores didn't have any superworms. Dubia's and BSFL are on the way and should be here in a few days. I have also read on here that he probably won't eat anything for a couple of days because of stress, so maybe the mealies won't be a huge problem?

In other words: AHHHHH! This is NOT going as smoothly as I thought it would!

I will put his Cham info in another post very soon though!

So, I've been lurking on this site, and have posted maybe once or twice. I've been doing a lot of research to be able to take care of my little guy so I'm pretty confident in my husbandry and what not for the time being… I do have one problem though…

I built a custom enclosure for the boi and it looks great! My dad wanted to put thicker and "holier(?)" wire at the top where the lights will be, and the lil man can reach the ceiling?

1. I am VERY nervous about him getting too close to the basking bulb lamp (his bendy branches are in the mail right now, thanks covid!), so I’m constantly having to watch him, which leads me to this:
2. HE CAN STICK HIS HEAD THROUGH THE WIRE AT THE TOP AND I AM SO SO WORRIED THAT HE WILL SCRATCH HIMSELF OR POKE AN EYE OUT!!!!
3. Will constantly watching him freak him out even if it's from a distance? I really want this to be stress-free for both of us (for obvious reasons)

My boyfriend is currently going to Lowe's to pick up a spray bottle, hygrometer, and timer for the lights because I still haven't gotten those things in the mail!!! I also only have mealworms and will only have them for a couple of days (thank god), because the nearest pet stores didn't have any superworms. Dubia's and BSFL are on the way and should be here in a few days. I have also read on here that he probably won't eat anything for a couple of days because of stress, so maybe the mealies won't be a huge problem?

In other words: AHHHHH! This is NOT going as smoothly as I thought it would!

I will put his Cham info in another post very soon though!
You need to pick up some aluminum window screen to put on that top panel. Not only is it a risk of him getting through it but your UVI levels will be extremely high if your using a T5HO and a 5.0 bulb.

Per the mealworms. They should not be fed at all very low in nutrition and an impaction risk. With him needing to eat about 15 feeders a day as a youngen you need feeders he can eat. Depending on age him eating is extremely important. I am sure the breeder did not feed them so he will not know what they are to eat.

Can you post pics of the entire enclosure lights down and the lighting used?

You need a misting bottle asap. They can not go without water at that age and will dehydrate.

If the top of the cage screen is that wide I would advise getting a small roll of window screen and just reapply it to the top of the enclosure. Also I wouldn't really use the mealworms, they aren't very nutritious and also have a higher chitin content, making it a little harder to digest.

(Edit Beman beat me to it lmao)

Yes it should have screen at the top... photos and husbandry info on the lil man? Where did you get him?
I got him from this place called Roberson Reptiles. I know they're not a sponsored site on here, but I have been emailing the owner back and forth for a few months now, so I trust them. And the baby boi looks pretty healthy from what I can see, so I'll be sending him a thank you email very soon.

I am working on filling out his form right now, so I'll have that posted soon

Enclosure pics next!

IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0491.JPG 61939936625__18CA488E-E374-480A-BCDB-F04A73D35556.JPG fullsizeoutput_3ff6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3fff.jpeg

That enclosure will look great once you add branches! Instead of having to buy them, just go into the woods/your backyard and if you want to you can cut down some branches and sticks yourself. This is the best method IMO because you have so many options and you can choose the length you want it to be. Some people more deeply clean theres but IMO its fine to just give each one a good hose down. Keep us updated that enclosure looks so cool!

Do you have photos of the lil guy?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 months. Male panther.
  • How long has it been in your care? One day
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I had to handle him to put him in his enclosure and help him down from the ceiling, but other than that, I would like to NOT handle him for at least a couple of weeks? Don’t wanna stress him too much.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? All I have now is meal worms, there aren’t any pet stores with a decent food selection near by. I have dubias, superworms, and BSFL on the way though, should be here in a couple of days.
  • What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Gut loading with the screenshot of good greens and stuff that was posted on here a while ago.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dusting with RepCal products, I only do the multivitamins and such on Sundays. Other than that, no D3 every day.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Spray bottle multiple times a day, until I get a mist king. I haven’t seen him drinking yet, but I did just mist, so he’s hiding.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? N/A
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Custom built wooden enclosure, made to look like a corner piece, mostly screen. Can’t think of the exact dimensions off the top of my head, but I know its enough for an adult male panther.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have two T5 HO single tube lights (with reflectors) from Vivarium Electronics, one with a grow light (6400W), and one with a 6% Arcadia bulb. 100W basking bulb in a ceramic dome fixture. The schedule is going to be from 7:00-7:00.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I’m waiting on my bf to get a hygrometer/thermometer right now. Lowest overnight temp should be 72º.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Same as above
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, four pothos, Cordyline fruticosa "Red Sisters”, and Dracaena marinatas.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Corner of the room at the foot of my bed, it stands at 5’8”, the top is at about 4’10”, and the bottom of the enclosure sits at about 15” from the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Starkville, MS (deep south USA)

That enclosure will look great once you add branches! Instead of having to buy them, just go into the woods/your backyard and if you want to you can cut down some branches and sticks yourself. This is the best method IMO because you have so many options and you can choose the length you want it to be. Some people more deeply clean theres but IMO its fine to just give each one a good hose down. Keep us updated that enclosure looks so cool!

Do you have photos of the lil guy?
Thank you so much! I had branches ready at some point, but my little brother threw them away doing yard work. Bless his soul, he didn't know any better lol. I would like a couple of bendy branches though, so I can switch it up for him from time to time. I'll probably end up going to get some normal branches after my last class today.

Thank you so much! I had branches ready at some point, but my little brother threw them away doing yard work. Bless his soul, he didn't know any better lol. I would like a couple of bendy branches though, so I can switch it up for him from time to time. I'll probably end up going to get some normal branches after my last class today.
yeah I went out and cut some branches a couple weeks ago

hehehehe still have 1 week left before mine starts and its normal school not zoom school which is tbh better than the zoom ones
Yeah we have this weird "hyflex" system? Since I have a lot of studios, I can make an appointment to physically go to class if I have to? Idk, I’m already over it and it's the third day

Back
Top Bottom