New owner

MIGhunter

Just found this forum after checking up on some Veiled Chameleon questions. New to the sport. Actually, I'm the concerned parent helping my 15 year old son with this hobby. Not new to reptiles, just chameleons. We've had Chinese water dragons for about 10 years now.

We bought a repti-mister. Petsmart said to just let it mist every 15 minutes or so. I'm reading this is way false. So, from what I'm reading it's really only needed twice a day?

Right now we have the repti-zoo kit with aluminium frame and screen. We are using the plastic/fake trees and leaves in the cage. Is that ok or should we really push towards live plants? I was thinking since we are so new to the chameleon it would be better to start with the fake stuff and move forward to live stuff later.

My wife keeps the house pretty cold. I swapped out the 60 watt red bulb we were using with a 100 watt bulb. Now the temps are about 82 in the middle of the cage. Is it ok to run that 24/7? I see the temps should be lower at night but right now the Chameleon is sitting at the highest point it can find in the cage.

On lighting, I have 3 lights, 1 UVB, 1 basking and 1 red bulb. Right now they are on a timer, on at 7am and off at 10pm. Should I adjust that? I see a lot of ppl go 12 on and 12 off but that doesn't really mimic real life sunset/sunrise.

Finally, do you guys bother removing crickets that might be a little too big? I bought smalls but some looked bigger and since he hasn't eaten much in the 2 days we've had him, they've grown.

Really enjoying the site. Soaking up all the info. Thanks.

First off, Welcome to the Forums!!! :D

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is the caresheet for veiled chameleons...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Petsmart said to just let it mist every 15 minutes or so. I'm reading this is way false. So, from what I'm reading it's really only needed twice a day? Yes, another Petsmart advice story with a happy ending! You can do a few mistings every day and the length can vary. You may or may not see your chameleon drinking.

Right now we have the repti-zoo kit with aluminium frame and screen. We are using the plastic/fake trees and leaves in the cage. Is that ok or should we really push towards live plants? I would try to get a live plant in there. It will help maintaining better humidity levels. Just make sure it is one that is "safe" for your veiled as they are known to be plant nibblers.

My wife keeps the house pretty cold. I swapped out the 60 watt red bulb we were using with a 100 watt bulb. Now the temps are about 82 in the middle of the cage. Is it ok to run that 24/7? I see the temps should be lower at night but right now the Chameleon is sitting at the highest point it can find in the cage. What is the temp at the basking site? For a young chameleon I would like to see the temps in the 70's and a basking temp in the mid 80's.

On lighting, I have 3 lights, 1 UVB, 1 basking and 1 red bulb. Right now they are on a timer, on at 7am and off at 10pm. Should I adjust that? I see a lot of ppl go 12 on and 12 off but that doesn't really mimic real life sunset/sunrise. I generally have my lighting on about 14 hours each day. The 12 hour thing is just a guideline. You may notice your chameleon going to it's sleep spot before lights out anyway. As long as he isn't sleeping during the day a lot, this isn't an issue.

Finally, do you guys bother removing crickets that might be a little too big? I bought smalls but some looked bigger and since he hasn't eaten much in the 2 days we've had him, they've grown. I try to remove the feeders if possible. Mostly when they are bigger so I don't have them chirping all night :wideyed:.

First off, Welcome to the Forums!!! :D

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is the caresheet for veiled chameleons...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Thanks. I've read the caresheet. Very nice work whoever put that together.

2 follow up questions.
1. My exo mister seems to be misting every 5-10 minutes instead of hour like it's supposed to. My friend Google says that's a problem with this brand. Anyone know if a fix?

2. If I use branches, anything I need to look for.? How do you clean them? If you put it in the oven, what temp and how long?

fsqWzI1.jpg

bGWYBca.jpg

9bHXeCS.jpg

lJejnr5.jpg

Thanks. I've read the caresheet. Very nice work whoever put that together.

2 follow up questions.
1. My exo mister seems to be misting every 5-10 minutes instead of hour like it's supposed to. My friend Google says that's a problem with this brand. Anyone know if a fix?

2. If I use branches, anything I need to look for.? How do you clean them? If you put it in the oven, what temp and how long?

Don’t know about the eco but you can use virtually any branch just make sure it isn’t loaded with ants or spiders or anything like that. You don’t have to bake it, just spray it off with the hose.

I'd ditch the red light altogether and go with a linear UVB light over the coiled version you have in that double fixture. DO NOT RUN THE LIGHTS 24/7! This will disrupt your chams sleep pattern and lead to stress. Stress leads to disease. And disease....well, that leads to the dark side. LOL! Seriously though, chams need darkness in order to sleep properly. Also, you don't need to worry about your cham needing heat at night. Down into the 60's at night is fine and some claim isactually beneficial for our chams. Veileds can easily tolerate down into the 50's at night, so you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.

I'd ditch the red light altogether and go with a linear UVB light over the coiled version you have in that double fixture. DO NOT RUN THE LIGHTS 24/7! This will disrupt your chams sleep pattern and lead to stress. Stress leads to disease. And disease....well, that leads to the dark side. LOL! Seriously though, chams need darkness in order to sleep properly. Also, you don't need to worry about your cham needing heat at night. Down into the 60's at night is fine and some claim isactually beneficial for our chams. Veileds can easily tolerate down into the 50's at night, so you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.
Can you send me a link to the bulb you're talking about?

More and more I see how misinformed Petco or Petsmart make new owners. I know a lot of people are going to comment on your setup and how you should have researched more but I can send you some care sheets and some other information that someone sent me when I was still looking into building up to my cham if you PM me. There is a ton of great information in the resources tab of this forum as well as a ton of information you can gather from the search bar.

UVB:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8GF...a0a3-8aae4075ace0&ie=UTF8&qid=1534361896&sr=1

Thanks I thought that's what you meant by the bulb. What's the difference between that and the one I have ? Both will light from the top down. Just more coverage?

I'm ok with constructive criticism especially if it helps the cham. The sales person at petsmart seemed like he knew stuff. He actually stayed after his shift waiting on us to get there to help us.

DO NOT RUN THE LIGHTS 24/7! This will disrupt your chams sleep pattern
We are only running the red bulb at night I thought that was the point of the red bulbs? He seems to sleep at night.

Last edited:
There should be no light on at all at night or the cham will not sleep. If I have a light on at night mine will leave his eye slightly open peeking.

Im too one of those people that got theirs from petsmart. But they know what the flyers say and thats all. Now they look for me to educate them when i come In. Past few months i have learn so much. But u need more plats at top of cage too. They like to kinda hide. Please read the care area of this site tought me alot of info.

Besides the branches for climbing I would recommend plant cover around that because mine will climb into the plants to sleep at night. They like hiding spots for that. I got an umbrella plant and he loves to climb down into that at night. Also be aware with live plants that veiled will eat them so make sure you check the safe plant list to ensure they do not poison themselves. All the plants that you have will go to waste except for drainage since my cham spends all his time at the top and only goes 3/4 the way down to sleep and then back to the top to bask or feed.

Can you also take a picture of the back feet to see if its a boy or girl as that will dictate other changes some members can advise on for a lay box if its a girl.

Can you also take a picture of the back feet to see if its a boy or girl as that will dictate other changes some members can advise on for a lay box if its a girl.
Sorry, went to work and missed this post. I'll try in the morning.

My son texted me while I was at work before he went to sleep. He said the Cham was sitting up as high as he could where the lamps are. I have them all off. He was worried that he was trying to get some heat that wasn't there. He said the temp from the middle of the cage thermometer was 70, so that should be ok from what you guys said above.

I've seen some posting about Chams sleeping during the day. What's up with that? Why is it bad? What does it mean?

Even now, ALL of my hibiscus thrive wonderfully inside my chameleon's cage. I do use a plant light (GE Plant & Aquarium T12 ) to promote my Hibiscus' growth. You can find it at your local stores, such as Lowes, Walmart, or Target.
Read this on his blog but he isn't using the blog anymore. Is this light something that you can put on top of your Cham's habitate? I didn't understand what he was saying.

Along the same lines, is there a specific light box ppl use with the linear bulbs? When I looked it up, I see a lot of light hoods. Is that what ppl are using or something else?

Read this on his blog but he isn't using the blog anymore. Is this light something that you can put on top of your Cham's habitate? I didn't understand what he was saying.

Along the same lines, is there a specific light box ppl use with the linear bulbs? When I looked it up, I see a lot of light hoods. Is that what ppl are using or something else?
He is saying that in addition to the lights his Cham requires he also runs an indoor grow light just for his plants. Search for jungle dawn or hydroponic lighting to see what he’s using.

95% sure you can use any light fixture, it’s the bulb that matters...

Honestly I think your Cham went to the top trying to find a hiding place to sleep. It is very young and has no cover to hide in and since they essentially try to shut down during sleep they want to hide as much as possible to not be an easy prey item. Like I said mine will hide down in the plants at night. My temps at night drop about the same and they are used to cold nights. That's why they shut down. You can have a heat lamp on at night if you want just get a coil style that does not emit light at all.

For the light fixture you just need any fixture that holds a t5 and is the length you are looking for. Some people just get them at home Depot or Amazon. I got the reptisun because it came with a bulb.

Either way welcome to your new life stress with making these guys happy. I love mine but the amount of time spent concerned in the beginning was crazy haha. I have gotten more comfortable but still worry. Haha. That said I still want a second one someday. I have a feeling it will be like my second kid where you stress over the first one and the second one gets whatever worked for the first one.

Back
Top Bottom