New owner

That's how I do it but I have seen some that use the coil thing. Sorry to give bad advise.
The coil thing is a ceramic heat coil. I use one, but it’s set to a thermostat and rarely turns on at night. If you want to see good examples of lighting and fixtures, go to lightyourreptiles.com. The owner Todd is both a site sponsor and a great wealth of knowledge. He answers emails quickly and will talk on the phone to help answer any questions. Give him a look and order some proper lighting ASAP. As for now, go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy some live plants to fill that cage up. You should have to look hard to find your chameleon when you look in its enclosure.

Yeah like I said I have seen some people use them before but the way my wife maintains the temp I have no use for it haha.

Ya, I'm going to get some live plants. I work 12 hour night shifts and I'm in the middle of a 6 stretch so I didn't have time to properly clean a live plant. I'll probably do it tomorrow morning

Bad news, got home from work, checked on my son's veiled he was fine. Misted, fed and I went to sleep. Woke up at 12 and it had passed. I'm not sure what happened. Bought it from petsmart last Sunday, so only 6 days ago. They said he was 3 months. Not sure if he wasn't eating or drinking enough?

Bad news, got home from work, checked on my son's veiled he was fine. Misted, fed and I went to sleep. Woke up at 12 and it had passed. I'm not sure what happened. Bought it from petsmart last Sunday, so only 6 days ago. They said he was 3 months. Not sure if he wasn't eating or drinking enough?
I can tell you exactly why it did, it was from Petsmart! I seriously doubt it was your fault, they are know for having an extreamly high mortality rate.

Only you would know how much he was eating and drinking. If I had to guess this Cham was dead before you ever bought him. He just didn’t know it yet.

Next time go with a breeder, not a pet store. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear that. Sad to say but Petco and PetSmart chams ways look like they are sick and kept in bad condition.

I just ordered a new light yesterday from lightyourreptiles. Going to totally redo his cage with live plants. Then I have to find a breeder. Hopefully we can find something local so we can see it first.

I just ordered a new light yesterday from lightyourreptiles. Going to totally redo his cage with live plants. Then I have to find a breeder. Hopefully we can find something local so we can see it first.
About where are you? I wouldn’t rule out a breeder just because they are online.

Take your time with the enclosure. Let the plants grow for a few months and fill out the cage. Cycle and burn in the lights and work out any issues with misting, temp, timers, etc before you buy another chameleon. You will have peace of mind knowing everything is done right before you stress out over it when you get another chameleon.

I love in Bloomington Indiana. The Midwest expo is today. Too bad I'm working. There another show on the 26th, I might be able to make that one

Take your time with the enclosure. Let the plants grow for a few months and fill out the cage. Cycle and burn in the lights and work out any issues with misting, temp, timers, etc before you buy another chameleon. You will have peace of mind knowing everything is done right before you stress out over it when you get another chameleon.

I did all this except the plants growing part. It really helped but I was still a little nervous to put my first cham in there. I could only imagine how ibwoyld have felt putting a new Cham in without knowing the system ran. I am a stressful person so that would have been hard.

I wish we had more expo's out here in so cal. I know we have repticon in October and I can't wait to go.

Seriously, Their are a lot of cham people in SOCAL. I'd look around and see what you can find. Also, as mentioned above, dont rule outshipping. I currently have 7 chams and all were shipped even the two that just hatched. They actually came as freshly laid eggs that I incubated. Shipping has really evolved.

He is saying that in addition to the lights his Cham requires he also runs an indoor grow light just for his plants. Search for jungle dawn or hydroponic lighting to see what he’s using.

95% sure you can use any light fixture, it’s the bulb that matters...
Does this make a significant difference in plant growth @Brodybreaux25 ???

To reiterate there’s not enough perches in there and they are readily available for free at parks in your yard or nearby woods, I like circumference to be different to create variety and more natural environment...use an incandescent build (household bulb for basking) it will also brighten up your enclosure and provide a bit better basking area...good luck ;)

Back
Top Bottom