New Owner Of A 3 month old Veiled.. TIPS PLEASE :)

NewOwner

:confused: I am a New Owner Of a Veieled Chameleon He is 3 months old, a male, and About 4-5in (Aprox) long, including his tail... maybe a bit longer then that... uhm... Anyways, This is my first chameleon, i read about them alot on everything i hope i need to know about them, but i am confused, when i got him he handled well, i could pick him up and hold him, and then put him back, i only ever held him once every day or less... I usually held him for about... 5 - 10 minutes, But now he just stays in and hisses when i go to pick him up... As a new owner i have some questions...

~-~ Should I Pick Him Up More?

~-~ Should i Leave him, and let him be, maybe he'll "Adapt" to being around me?

~-~ He is in my room, in a screen cage, and eats crickets, with calcium powder..

~-~ Any tips for me?:confused:

Last edited:
He will certainly get used to you, it's more a matter of to what degree he sees you as a huge monster that invades his territory and spies on him throughout the day or as a huge monster that invades his territory and spies on him throughout the day BUT also brings him food/water/trips to the outside ;:p
As Brad said, handling should be kept to a minimum and believe me as I'm sure many others would agree, the amount of handling does NOT dictate how "used" to you they are but rather what the handling involves i.e. don't chase him around the cage, if he doesn't seem to want to get out, don't push it. One of the best ways to encourage positive interaction is hand feeding which usually isn't too hard if they are hungry enough and you are able to keep steady and be patient :)

Thanks to you to colorchanginclick, Very helpful! :) I love the way you put that "Big monster" good way to describe i geuss compared to his size.. haha but yes, Thank you! ill try hand feeding him again tomorrow... he doesnt seem to do it... ill try though :) i try to leave alone lots throughout the day... he seems to like his alone time, and when i go to pick him up he hisses so i wait, and let him come to me, hes done that once, i just need to be patient i geuss, Thanks. :)

Give him some space, he'll learn to take you as his food and natural light source and over time learn to 'tolerate' you lol. My guy Fred used to be super friendly... but now that I don't take him outside hes gotten an attitude about me lol. 'sorry fred... I don't work the sweet shift: 6-2:30 anymore....'

Back
Top Bottom