Will not eat if it is not in my hand…

When I get home I'll take a pic of what I do. I totally hear you there. But there are simply ways to do it!

I'll give you a run down of my process when I take the pic.
Ok so this is basically my setup. Absolutely bare bones. I don't have many crickets right now because Spike only eats a few a day and they're bigger. When I have more I simply add another tube for them to hide in. When I need to clean this out I tape them out of the tube into the cage, and remove the food dish.

Then I turn the entire thing with the lid on upside down over the trash can and shake out as much dirt as I can. When I run out of crickets, I clean the entire thing with hot soapy water and let it dry before introducing the new batch of crickets.

I pull out the food daily, to every other day depending on how much food is there and how it looks. I run the food dish under hot water and add soap then dry with a paper towel. Put it back in and drop some frozen food back in. This has been working for me for months

20231213_174751.jpg

Ok so this is basically my setup. Absolutely bare bones. I don't have many crickets right now because Spike only eats a few a day and they're bigger. When I have more I simply add another tube for them to hide in. When I need to clean this out I tape them out of the tube into the cage, and remove the food dish.

Then I turn the entire thing with the lid on upside down over the trash can and shake out as much dirt as I can. When I run out of crickets, I clean the entire thing with hot soapy water and let it dry before introducing the new batch of crickets.

I pull out the food daily, to every other day depending on how much food is there and how it looks. I run the food dish under hot water and add soap then dry with a paper towel. Put it back in and drop some frozen food back in. This has been working for me for months

View attachment 347857
How many crickets do you buy each time?

This is the one I am using and it is on the side wall of the cage. He does it from it once in a while ( more infrequent than the rain in California ). I am always telling my wife and kids that I will try not to feed him in my hand but every time it is mid afternoon and only one insect have been eaten I worry and hand feed him. You are right that it would be hard if we have to leave town, which we do twice a year, it will be hard for the person going to look after him.

View attachment 347824
I really like your cricket run, did u make or buy? One thing I notice, is that there isn't really a nice sturdy thin branch right infront of it? Maybe it's the picture, but remember they are "designed" to have best grasp on branches that they can reach all the way around as they walk. Different sizes are great to develop muscles and balance, but about the thickness of your pinky finger is about proper thickness, and not smooth like bamboo~ no good. I find that they REALLY REALLY LOVE soaker hose, the texture is nice n easy to grasp. I feed a 16 gauge flex wire inside it. It makes fantastic climbing wined without the moss which can get unto their eyes n create a real mess. Just suggestion. 😊

I really like your cricket run, did u make or buy? One thing I notice, is that there isn't really a nice sturdy thin branch right infront of it? Maybe it's the picture, but remember they are "designed" to have best grasp on branches that they can reach all the way around as they walk. Different sizes are great to develop muscles and balance, but about the thickness of your pinky finger is about proper thickness, and not smooth like bamboo~ no good. I find that they REALLY REALLY LOVE soaker hose, the texture is nice n easy to grasp. I feed a 16 gauge flex wire inside it. It makes fantastic climbing wined without the moss which can get unto their eyes n create a real mess. Just suggestion. 😊

I bought it from etsy, originally it has a top cover but I removed it. Also, I attached a magnet at the back instead of using a hook or something. It males easier to reposition or move it around the enclosure. It comes in different colors.

Thank you for the tip, I will find new sticks and put it in front of the feeder. I have different sizes of branches in the enclosure.

Today I did not hand feed him and he ate 5 grasshoppers out of the feeder. I think I am just too impatient and always in a panic when I still see few insects in the feeder.

Last edited:
How many crickets do you buy each time?
This time around I only ordered 60 (but 3/4"gutloaded from Joshs Frogs). This is the first time I did that. Very easy to manage, don't think I really had any die on me yet. I received them on Friday the 8th. I still have a bunch left because I am only giving him 6-7 daily.

Up until now, I was ordering 500 at a time (and simply using 2 critter carriers like this instead of 1...but same setup). I'd have some but noy many die. When I was ordering 500, I would use the tubes as you're supposed to. Leaned in the holes on top of the cage. I don't do that now because I've noticed doing it this way for some reason has more crickets go in there to hang out and use it. Plus, it just seems easier.

But yeah, now that Spike is eating (and preferring...) bigger bugs, I am ordering less which is becoming even easier to manage.

BSFL just sit in their plastic cup they arrive in. Silks seem to require the most attention, but it's not too bad, and then crickets have become easier to deal with especially now that I don't have to do a deep cleaning until I'm ready to introduce a new batch.

Thanks @Steve A!

I will try another round of crickets.
No problem. Keep in mind I don't give them water/gels because the food I give them if frozen and provides them with hydration. I'd say if you're having a lot die off.... check to make sure you're allowing them to hydrate in some way! Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom