New Owner - not sure we are doing it right....

foshizzle11

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Faly panther, female, about 5-6 months. How long has it been in your care? 2 months.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I try to hold her everyday. Sometimes she doesn't want to be held but half the time she will walk onto my hand.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets and super worms. What amount? I put about 7-10 crickets a day and just started adding a cup with the super worms in them, but she hasn't touched those yet. What is the schedule? I add the crickets at about 7:00am and usually they are all gone by 5:00pm. How are you gut-loading your feeders? We put fresh veggies and use Repashy superload.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
we use ZooMed Repti Calcium with D3 twice a month. Use exo terra calcium every other day and exo terra multi vitamin twice a month. We just started this routine this week after reading extensively. Our breeder told us that we only needed to dust with a multivitamin.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
We just use a spray bottle and manually spray and there is a little dripper as well that usually lasts about 6 hours, so there is always a constant source. Yes, we watch her drink. I am paranoid about that and worry constantly that she will get dehydrated.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never been tested for parasites. I've looked at the poop section and hers looks normal.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? It is a custom build, 48" x 48" x 22", all screen.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The lights are on for 12 hours a day and since the cage is so wide we have two basking lights, one is some exo terra brand and the other is a house hold 60 watt bulb and one UV light that sits in the middle. I followed all the husbandry rules on this one as I know how important the lights are.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
The temp ranges from 90 to 70 degrees and at night it is around 68 degrees (winter in Canada). We don't have a digital thermometer but probably should invest in one.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
The hydrometer that we use says it is at about 50-70% depending on how often we mist. (we have 5 fish tanks in our house so without misting is seems pretty high some days).
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? We are using live plants, ficus and some other big leaf one that is super low in the cage and she never goes on.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
It is located in our kitchen and the lights go out at 7pm. She is always sound asleep and doesn't move, her eyes are always closed as well right when her lights go out. Sometimes it seems like she is waiting for bed time. No fans, air vents, but could be considered high traffic. We need to get a curtain or cover or something for it.
Location - Where are you geographically located?
I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I think I am just paranoid that we doing something wrong but it seems like she isn't very happy and is always a dark colour. Could this be that the temps aren't right? When she is handled she generally lightens up so I feel like maybe it is a temp thing?

How do we know if she is drinking enough if we almost never see her drinking. I have but I don't sit there and watch her all day.

Any photos of the cage setup? Sounds like she may not feel comfortable in there. Can she get a reflection off any of the glass? she may think there are other chams in there. Also and this is a personal thing, that seems like an overly large cage for a cham of that age. It should be heavily planted with tons of vines or branches to navigate.

While some folks like Jann B have great success with handling chams I tend to think of them as fish and only handle them when I need to clean cages or weigh them. They will hand feed from me but don't really care to be picked up. You may want to reduce the handling for a bit and see how that goes. Some chams are very personable and love to be on their human tree so that's up to the cham and keeper. With a cage that size you may want to invest in an automatic mister. A dripper is great but in a cage that size one may not be enough. Post a photo if you can and I'm sure some other will chime in.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/showthread.php?t=123808

There are pics in there of her and her cage. It is heavily planted and has loads of vines and natural sticks.

I don't buy the whole small cage thing, they are born into a massive environment in the wild so why should they be confined in captivity? I haven't heard a good reason yet, just a belief or a feeling. No offense or anything.

She explores all the corners of the cage and has favorite spots since she has been in there since the beginning of December.

I don't think there is anything wrong, just not sure we are doing everything right. Scary for a first timer!

Reasoning behind a small cage when they are small or babies is because they have a harder time catching their prey in too big of a cage.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/showthread.php?t=123808

There are pics in there of her and her cage. It is heavily planted and has loads of vines and natural sticks.

I don't buy the whole small cage thing, they are born into a massive environment in the wild so why should they be confined in captivity? I haven't heard a good reason yet, just a belief or a feeling. No offense or anything.

She explores all the corners of the cage and has favorite spots since she has been in there since the beginning of December.

I don't think there is anything wrong, just not sure we are doing everything right. Scary for a first timer!

The reasoning as to why we recommend housing younger/smaller sized chameleons in smaller enclosures, is generally due to the fact that we can monitor what they are eating, and if they are eating anything at all. Also, due to monitoring if they are defecating properly.

However, a larger enclosure will cause no harm, just make sure that your little Chameleon is able to find it's food, and you can monitor how much it is eating. Many members do cup feed in order to monitor the food intake of their Chameleon(s).

Back
Top Bottom