New Feeder Colony!

deadhd5

Avid Member
Finally! I have been wanting to get a snail colony going for my chams, Reggie Jackson in particular. These guys just arrived today...

The critter keeper is their temporary enclosure. I plan to go out and pick up a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium tomorrow. This is my first experience with land snails, so all advice is warmly welcomed :D

IMG_20130403_180834.jpg

IMG_20130403_180848.jpg

IMG_20130403_180955.jpg

I don't want to name them as I would hate to get them in trouble but it is from an online teaching supplies company. My strategy was to order them and list my state as AA or "armed forces of America" and provide my correct zip code. It worked.

I don't want to name them as I would hate to get them in trouble but it is from an online teaching supplies company. My strategy was to order them and list my state as AA or "armed forces of America" and provide my correct zip code. It worked.

I know how you feel. I have a Dubia roach colony and I live in FL. LOL

ohhhhh I just love snail eyeballs :p they are so cute ! I would name them...Zippy 1,2,3,4....;)
my snails a kinda flat-ish - I dont have any left as "sneak a snail" ate them ALL - she is a BAAAAAD girl :D

ohhhhh I just love snail eyeballs :p they are so cute ! I would name them...Zippy 1,2,3,4....;)
my snails a kinda flat-ish - I dont have any left as "sneak a snail" ate them ALL - she is a BAAAAAD girl :D

Yeah, their eyeballs are so cool.. Little aliens.

I really wanted to feed a couple to my chams, but the smallest snail is too big for my largest panther. I am going to have to wait for babies. I have 18 large adults... I think it may be too many!

Snails are wonderful! Great feeder option too.

One thing though. What plants are in there? If any are toxic, or could possibly be to your cham it would be best to remove them in the event that snails eat them.

Snails are wonderful! Great feeder option too.

One thing though. What plants are in there? If any are toxic, or could possibly be to your cham it would be best to remove them in the event that snails eat them.

Thanks Al, good call.. Can't believe that didn't cross my mind

I have started a snail colony too. I actually caught a pair of them mating last night. My veileds will eat them, but it takes a minute for them to notice them.

Back
Top Bottom