New chams arrived... are they of right size to breed?

AndrewBrian

Hi guys i just bought some chameleons today im a newbie with panthers they are extremely difficult to get... kindly assist me if you guys think they are matured enough to breed or too small based on pics size females body is around 5 inches.. males body 6-7 inches without tail... also my female got injured during shipping the lip kinda sags down will it ever get better? any suggestions help... thanks so much

Attachments

• newgirl.jpg
    newgirl.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 217
  • newboy.jpg
    newboy.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 249
  • newchamgroup.JPG
    newchamgroup.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 212
Sorry guys the supplier cant get details with age... apparently they were smuggled in... it takes 6 months to get a health clearance from usa and 2 weeks to quarantine it once it lands in the philippines. Sad to say our customs here are really bad and corrupt they can tell you the chameleons died and they will sell it... got them from the son of a general... thats why i have no info of age... maybe you guys can also help me with the injury on the lip of my female chameleon i think it was damaged during its shipment... will it go back to normal? does it need treatment?

About the need help information sheet all my supplier told me was they are ambilobes sub adults... the fecal matter i saw was solid with orange instead of white... maybe dehydration? total number of hours on the plane from usa to my city plus the wait 24 hours... sorry guys thats all my supplier knows it's not his chameleons black market trade :( just wanted them soo much paid almost 1000 dollars each

Sounds like you don't have the same resources that we have in the US. Well, hopefully people on here can help you make the adjustments with the information you need to help these guys become healthy.
Can you fill out the information on that list of questions I attached to the last post?

How long ago did you get them? After a beating like that during shipping your going to want to work up their health and acclimate them before you attempt to do any kind of breeding... or the stress could very well kill the female.

From what I can see in the photos, the female still needs around 3 months before she is going to be ready(still a little small.) You will find sperm plugs in the bottom of the guys cage if he's ready.

Good Luck, but focus on their health first.

Well, I can tell you the last picture (top chameleon) looks skinny. The pads on the top of the head should not be sunken in like that. They should look fat like the chameleon on the bottom of the same photo. What are you planning on using for food? Also the orange in the poop is a sign of dehydration. Chameleons can't see standing water so you need to mist all these guys down with warm-lukewarm water. A dripper might also help. Use a plastic tub (cottage cheese, sour cream container) and poke a whole with a tack in the bottom of the container. fill it with water and it should drip.

they are a day old with me
miss katylemons this is the best i can do i cant answer all the questions since i just got them today but i do have 1 panther chameleon before purchasing these ones i got as a hatchling...

species : ambilobe panther chameleon
handling : they took a 24 hour plane journey
feeding : 3 chameleons all ate 3 dubian roaches each upon arrival
watering: i mist the cages and leaves of their enclosures 3 times today since i got them
fecal description : the fecal matter was brown with orange on 2 chameleons
didnt see the other 1
history: no idea

cage :home made wood sidings and screen cage size is for adult panthers recommendation
lighting: natural sunlight i put the cage outdoor
temperature: daytime 30-34 degrees celsius night time 24-28 degrees celsius
plant : plastic
placement :garden patio
location : general santos city philippines those who know the boxer manny paquiao same city

this is the best i can do :)

as for food i feed them dubian roaches im making a colony... i use reptical on them as my supplement... yes i will improvise a drip system for them true i noticed the top chameleon being a bit skinny will try my best to fatten him up... the bottom chameleon male was bought from me by a close friend he got first pick... but i like the diversified colors on the top chameleon i think when he matures he will be more vibrant and colorful than the chameleon on the bottom which will always just be bluegreen with red :) the top one changes body color from green to yellow it is the same chameleon as the one eating the roach in the picture

You might want to offer them a little more to eat since they are eating. Also try a dripper and position it onto the top of cage so the drips are falling onto leaves. So these guys are gonna be outside (all day and night) all the time!? Then they will not need any UVB/UVA lights. You wouldn't need any supplements either. You might want to try to get some multivitamin called Herptivite and sprinkle it on their food once a week. That wouldn't hurt to give them a little more of a leg up. Are you raising the roaches?

The last Guy looks real skinny, he is in need of some major tlc. Glad u were able 2get Chams, im sometimes forget how lucky were are in the us to be able to have the privileges we have. Good luck

Thanks for all the help guys well appreciated... yeah herpvite i might get some once a week? is it ok to dust with reptical? yeah at least he is eating will fatten that guy up in no time :) i had to fly to manila overnight just to bring them to my city... i had to get past airport security and xray machines too and check them into my luggage... the things i do just for the love of exotics! :)

guys il also worried about my female... the lip got injured if you can see the picture it's sagging downwards like it's folded... will it go back to how it was? does it need treatment?

Do you have a veterinarian there? It wouldn't hurt to have it looked at. If not then wait a day or two and see of it will go back to normal. We will go from there.

maybe try searching on here for lip injuries and see if anything looks like it. It may go away in a couple days. Might just be swollen.

Hello Andrew and welcome. Your female will be fine with that lip problem. I my first quad was caught being smuggled into the USA, I got her from a rescue place. Her lip never got better and most likely yours will not be better. But is never bothered her. I don't think she knew she had a problem, she was a really good eating girl.

All 3 of your chams are subadults. I would guess, and this is a guess, none are over 6 or 7 months. They need to be at least a year before they should breed. If they breed before that your female could die from egg binding, not being able to lay eggs.

That will at least give you some time to fatten them up and have all of them healthy. We will all be here to help you along the way.

Here is a care sheet to help you.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Hello guys day 2 on its way! time to fatten up my chams the female panther by grace the lip is now back to normal didnt expect it to be well that soon she is a beauty... my new chams dont seem to have problems eating in a deli bin my old cham doesnt eat in a bin it prefers moving roaches climbing on leaves... the male in the picture i noticed really needs to fatten up i will feed it more

Back
Top Bottom