New Chameleon owner

coldblooded

:)Hi my name is dan and i am new to Chameleon husbandry and slao the forum. I just got a beautiful sub-adult from a firend who got her at the treaded petsmart. She is like i said beatuiful eating well and drinking well. I have her in the recomended enclosure. I am woried about one thing however, she puffs up when i hold her but does not hiss or gape: does this mean she is sick? or just not as aggresive? any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks,
dan

Chameleons don't like to be held but some will tolerate it. Is it in an proper enclosure recommened by petsmart or by online research? IMO just sounds like she is stressed from being held and only tolerates it. What kind of chameleon?

Please fill out the how to ask for help info

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Sheis a female velied chameleon. I have only held her once other than moving her to her new home. And no she is in what i have read to be the best enclosure set up after doing much research before acquiring her. Her set up is as follows:
100 gallon reptarium with large drip system
the cage is three feet of the floor
she has only been held 1 time in the two weeks ive had her
she has all the recomended lighting fixtures,time schedules and basking and night temps(as advised by this forum)
She is eating gut 5 gut loaded medium crickets a day and 3 wax worms every 4th day i have been coating them with vitamin and calcium powder twice a week
she is defacting and eating normaly there is no fans or ventilation
there is a three foot ficus plant with 10 inch pot in the cage along with two pothos hanging plants
the entire setup is from what ive read to do on these forums
that is all the information i have to give
i have only held her the one time to do the health test ive read online--this is where my original question derives from. Not because i hold her all the time and want to know why she dosent like me lol

Well sounds like you are doing all the right things so far and just seems like the chameleon is just being a chameleon. It's not that it doesn't like you, it's like the old king kong movies where king kong is carrying that girl she was terrified of something that was unusual to her. As you know every cham has their own personality. Out of the 5 I own right now 3 will tolerate me when held but still puff up in fear except for the ambanja from paradalisgirl, he seems to think everytime i'm around its time to eat so he looks to come to me lol. We'll see tomorrow when my 6th cham comes in to see what the record stands then. Good luck hope you enjoy her! :D

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have done your research - and Im sure you will continue to learn from this site as we all do! :)

That she puffs up is not unusual. That she hasnt bitten you (yet) is not a bad thing. :)

Well sounds like you are doing all the right things so far and just seems like the chameleon is just being a chameleon. It's not that it doesn't like you, it's like the old king kong movies where king kong is carrying that girl she was terrified of something that was unusual to her. As you know every cham has their own personality. Out of the 5 I own right now 3 will tolerate me when held but still puff up in fear except for the ambanja from paradalisgirl, he seems to think everytime i'm around its time to eat so he looks to come to me lol. We'll see tomorrow when my 6th cham comes in to see what the record stands then. Good luck hope you enjoy her! :D

You got 6 now ive got to make a trip to your house one day to see them.

And to the OP im glad to read your first posts have a well rounded idea of what your soposed to do. congratulations, it doesnt help much. It wasnt in my case at least. Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom