New Chameleon, new Member!

Drakevaldor

Hey guys! I have purchased a Veiled Chameleon at my local petsmart 3 days ago now (Friday) and he seems to be doing very well. I have raised lizards all my life, but this is my first Chameleon. I figured I would get myself involved in a community that has some knowledgeable and friendly folks to try to learn a bit more! (Though I did my research well in advance!!)
From everything I've read, I now own a very young female veiled Chameleon (not seeing the protrusion from the backs of her feet!). She's about 3 inches in length and completely green, though when you mist the cage, she signifies her current hatred for me by growing fun little markings all over her that fade within a few seconds.
I'm keeping her in a 35 gallon glass tank, which I've heard is meant to keep the heat in better. The thermometer is showing about 95 degrees max on the hot side (With the spot light) and about 78ish on the cool side.
She's been eating fine...any cricket she sees, she eats, and she has also been munching on Mealworms every now and then. I've yet to try any romain lettuce with her as I have all my other lizards, since this has been a point of disagreement across all the websites and petstores I've checked out.
The only thing I seem to be having issue with is water. Petsmart here does not sell a drip system, so I've been attempting to come up with one I can make at home. So far I've just been poking a hole in the bottom of a bottle and letting that drip, though I've yet to see her drink from it. I'm hoping to come up with a more permanent solution, but I'm thinking I'll need to hit a craft store for a water pump, first. (I have a lot of fish aquarium tubing and filters, if anyone has ideas!)
Her terrarium is set up with vines around the upper edges, sticks running to the floor, and a ledge that looks like a natural cave. She seems to move slowly, but generally stays among the vines at the top, and only descends to get her crickets.
I will be sure to get some pictures up for you guys soon, and if you have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears!

Hello and welcome to the forums! This place is plethora of valuable information :)

Congratulations on your new addition! I would consider lowering the hot spot and see if you can get it around the low to mid 80's and instead of romaine try dark greens like collard or mustard greens. Can't wait to see pictures!

welcome.

i would suggest getting a all screen enclosure. if the tank has a glass bottom your chameleon wont do well in there. these guys need lots of fresh air moving about. also the max temp shouldnt be higher than 85

Welcome to the chameleon forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I keep veileds myself. I have 3; Luie, Camille and their daughter Elly. Fist you need to get her temps way down. You are going to cook her in that glass. I'm attaching two blogs for you. You'll need the first one right now to keep your little girl healthy and the second one you will need in the near future because females can lay eggs without a male even being around.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html#comment656

Good to know.
I had looked at screen enclosures, and once she's bigger I'll likely move it to there, but it's just not a good idea at the moment considering that its been so cold recently. It will keep her warmer.
I will lower the heat lamp side to make it 85ish. As far as Air Circulation, we are working on ventilating it better. we've got the tools to do so, just need to decide how to go about it.
And I will be sure to try some Collards.

Welcome to the chameleon forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I keep veileds myself. I have 3; Luie, Camille and their daughter Elly. Fist you need to get her temps way down. You are going to cook her in that glass. I'm attaching two blogs for you. You'll need the first one right now to keep your little girl healthy and the second one you will need in the near future because females can lay eggs without a male even being around.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html#comment656

Yes, I did read all about (And have experienced with other lizards) egg binding, so I plan to work through that one as she gets older.

Where are you from? Its currently 20 degrees here and I have no problem maintaining temps in a 4 foot tall all screen enclosure, with a 50watt household bulb.

Back
Top Bottom