New Cham not eating and making slight pop or click noise while breathing occasionally

20201020_134522.jpg

I hvae 2 basking spots 1 for UVB which is the closer vine going to top and one for heat which is the one pushed to back. I also have 2 or more vines completely hidden in the plants and also one for easy food access to the right and as well as water right under where he is.

no way to really measure UVB unfortunatly but i believe the 4 inches i have it up and with the ReptiSun 5.0 18w(NOT HO) i feel tht height is okay
heat lamp is about 8 inches away but the baking temp is 80.6 in the screen cage and goes down to 70 and the absolute bottom where he wont be

Last edited:
no way to really measure UVB unfortunatly but i believe the 4 inches i have it up and with the ReptiSun 5.0 18w(NOT HO) i feel tht height is okay
heat lamp is about 8 inches away but the baking temp is 80.6 in the screen cage and goes down to 70 and the absolute bottom where he wont be
Ok so this is what I want to confirm with you... Is the UVB a T8 then? If so it should not be lifted like that he is not getting uvb.

Take a look at this chart. You would base yours off the far left one for the T8 with a 6%. So with this you have to drop it down on the cage top. And they need to be within a few inches to be in that 3 uvi level. Even if he screen climbs the top and gets under it he still won't be getting levels that are too high at a 6 UVI.

So drop this down onto the screen exactly where it sits now so he has the vines below it and can choose where he wants to be.

This not being at the right placement can cause issues with them closing their eyes because they are not getting the UVB levels they need.

As far as the temperature with the basking fixture... Is it hitting 80 on the screen? Put your hand there and make sure you do not get burned if you do then it is too hot at the screen. Babies are fine with temps in the 70's. No hotter then 80 though.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 12.05.13 PM.png

Ok so this is what I want to confirm with you... Is the UVB a T8 then? If so it should not be lifted like that he is not getting uvb.

Take a look at this chart. You would base yours off the far left one for the T8 with a 6%. So with this you have to drop it down on the cage top. And they need to be within a few inches to be in that 3 uvi level. Even if he screen climbs the top and gets under it he still won't be getting levels that are too high at a 6 UVI.

So drop this down onto the screen exactly where it sits now so he has the vines below it and can choose where he wants to be.

This not being at the right placement can cause issues with them closing their eyes because they are not getting the UVB levels they need.

As far as the temperature with the basking fixture... Is it hitting 80 on the screen? Put your hand there and make sure you do not get burned if you do then it is too hot at the screen. Babies are fine with temps in the 70's. No hotter then 80 though.

View attachment 280520
Yes it is a ReptiSun T8 5.0 15 watt. and okay i was a little confused with the chart so i raised it but i will drop it right now. and yes the temp is not going over 80 on the very top of the screen, hand feels fine on the mesh or wire as well

Last edited:
also did you read what was happening last night? he had his nose straight up in air and mouth open breathing while he was sleeping while his fogger was going, made me kinda nervous about the RI

also did you read what was happening last night? he had his nose straight up in air and mouth open breathing while he was sleeping while his fogger was going, made me kinda nervous about the RI
Yes, and I too am nervous about that. They should not open their mouth like that. But the fogger would not do that. Right now there are so many variables. Between UVB not being correct, and being new to the environment. Stress level being higher. So if it were me I would make a vet appointment with an experienced reptile vet... Just because RI's kill them and if this is the start of an RI there is absolutely nothing myself or anyone here can do to fix that only antibiotics can. IF in fact that is what is going on.

With the UVB being on the screen you should notice him perking up and becoming more active. He should stop closing his eyes during the day and appetite should increase.

Don't make any more cage changes now. We need to reduce stress. Has he been eating anything?

Temps are good then if that is the on screen temp. This would make it mid 70's in the cage near basking. Which is what we want to see for baby.

i just want to make sure im doing everything i can for the little dude. If he came sick at least ill know i did my part so if i need to unfortunately get another one i want to make sure im not the reason something happens again. But i havent noticed any eating yet, i put enough crickets tht the whole bottom of the feeder i have is basically full of crickets and they are moving alot.

i just want to make sure im doing everything i can for the little dude. If he came sick at least ill know i did my part so if i need to unfortunately get another one i want to make sure im not the reason something happens again. But i havent noticed any eating yet, i put enough crickets tht the whole bottom of the feeder i have is basically full of crickets and they are moving alot.
if it is an RI it would not develop in the sort time that you have had him.

And the feeder dish is easy for him to access now right. He can shoot down into it from a branch?
This may improve tomorrow after having the UVB all day today.

i know im nervous something happened in the time PetSmart had him. I doubt they have a fogger and such for at night and the little glass cubicle they had him in seemed like a baren wasteland during store hours with and they enclosures are all connected for bearded dragons and other desert reptiles so just overall not the condition a baby cham should be in. Also his only water source was a water dish in PetSmart

God forbid i have to get another cham tho I will 100% be ordering from an online breeder like FLChams since they are located semi close to me so the transport will be short and i know they will be cared for from birth and not just thrown in a tub waiting to make a company profit

i know im nervous something happened in the time PetSmart had him. I doubt they have a fogger and such for at night and the little glass cubicle they had him in seemed like a baren wasteland during store hours with and they enclosures are all connected for bearded dragons and other desert reptiles so just overall not the condition a baby cham should be in. Also his only water source was a water dish in PetSmart
God forbid i have to get another cham tho I will 100% be ordering from an online breeder like FLChams since they are located semi close to me so the transport will be short and i know they will be cared for from birth and not just thrown in a tub waiting to make a company profit
Unfortunately they are often put into sub par conditions. My hope is that he will be just fine. If for any reason he is not then there are other breeders that would be better to buy a baby from and I can help you with that. Lets see where he is at tomorrow.

Where are you located in case we need to figure out a vet for you?

Newark, Delaware. And i called most of my local vets tht take exotic animals and the only ones who seem to be very knowledgeable about chams are the ER doctors which simply just cost to much for me right now... Most of the others i have told me on the phone that they have little experience with chams

Newark, Delaware. And i called most of my local vets tht take exotic animals and the only ones who seem to be very knowledgeable about chams are the ER doctors which simply just cost to much for me right now... Most of the others i have told me on the phone that they have little experience with chams
This is quite common would you be able to drive out of your direct area?

depends how far i would say hour would be tops especially cuz if it is something serious im gunna need to pay for medicine as well and idk if that will all be affordable right now for me after just getting everything he needs

depends how far i would say hour would be tops especially cuz if it is something serious im gunna need to pay for medicine as well and idk if that will all be affordable right now for me after just getting everything he needs
Ok well lets see how he does tonight and if he perks up tomorrow. At night you should not see them with their mouth open at all. Has he been gaping at all today?

I know petco has a return/sick policy. Not sure about petsmart. But Petco will take them to the vet for you then return them to you. You might call your petsmart to see what they offer. I know this is less then ideal but if your financial means are stretched right now it would be an option.

Yes they do have a 2 week return on there animals as well but we talked to them a lot and they cant guarantee that he will be sold to us after the vet appointment. So it made me hesitant but i think it could be the best move especially before he gets even worse if he is sick.
But no i have not noticed any gaping today or anything like tht, which i thought was good but now he hasnt moved in a few hours and he barely opened his eyes when i went to turn is dripper off.

What is on his tail? Is that fecal or does he have a wound?

It is hard because his uvb was incorrect and this can really impact them. I would hate to give up on him just yet. If he is not gaping then that is good.

Back
Top Bottom