New Cham not eating and making slight pop or click noise while breathing occasionally

okay i just finished my school and some running around i had to do but i purchased 2 live plants ( birds nest firn and goldon pothos) and also a fogger with some money i got in mail for birthday. I could not find a damn ficus or any other center piece for him to hid in. FL Chams said the plants I purchased were safe for chams but they seem to be more back drop and not really a climbing source for him. I also purchased organic soil for plants and i know i need to wash them with dawn and warm water. But once i am done with the potting process i will fill out the care sheet.

Any tips on how to mount these guys in a all mesh cage so it will be higher up for him

Also purchased lettuce, sweet potatoe and carrots for cricket feeding instead of the all in one gut load

okay i just finished my school and some running around i had to do but i purchased 2 live plants ( birds nest firn and goldon pothos) and also a fogger with some money i got in mail for birthday. I could not find a damn ficus or any other center piece for him to hid in. FL Chams said the plants I purchased were safe for chams but they seem to be more back drop and not really a climbing source for him. I also purchased organic soil for plants and i know i need to wash them with dawn and warm water. But once i am done with the potting process i will fill out the care sheet.

Any tips on how to mount these guys in a all mesh cage so it will be higher up for him

Also purchased lettuce, sweet potatoe and carrots for cricket feeding instead of the all in one gut load
I would read through this for complete and correct husbandry info https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is a good guide on setting up an enclosure. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

Here is a link to correct plants and those that are Veiled tested are marked. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

You have to put 1 inch or larger rocks on top of the soil to make sure he does not eat it. Make sure you strip the soil off and rinse the plants well then repot in the new soil.

about the popping it seems to have slowed but his coloring looks a little off, maybe due to stress and no hiding spots. But i will provide pics once im done with plants

I would read through this for complete and correct husbandry info https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is a good guide on setting up an enclosure. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

Here is a link to correct plants and those that are Veiled tested are marked. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

You have to put 1 inch or larger rocks on top of the soil to make sure he does not eat it. Make sure you strip the soil off and rinse the plants well then repot in the new soil.
getting any of these plants in Delaware where i live is basically impossible, i went to 2 nursery, home depot and lowes. All had never even heard of most of the center pieces suggested on the chamacademy

getting any of these plants in Delaware where i live is basically impossible, i went to 2 nursery, home depot and lowes. All had never even heard of most of the center pieces suggested on the chamacademy
I understand.. This also is not the best time of year to buy indoor plants. The only one i would be hesitant on putting in is the fern. The pothos will grow and be strong enough to hold his weight.

i know i wanted the fern at the bottom right now or moisture collection overnight and i figured if he did get into it he wouldnt die cuz it was on FL Chams tht it was safe and this page has said good things about them. But do you recommend the clear cooking wrap stuff around 2 or 3 sides of mesh cage to keep moisture up at night with a fogger now tht i have it?

also will any old rocks work if i wash them off? My gf has a beach themed backyard with small flat stones, but not anywhere near small enough to eat, would those be safe?

So when you hear this pop is it by chance in the morning when he is puffing and stretching?
pop was mainly when i first got him but today puffing has seemed to stop, i think he ate some crickets i left for him but no meal worms. (I give hime 5 crickets, small size and 1 or 2 meal worms as a snack in a homemade feeder cup i made with water bottle and magnet, and they were all lightly dusted with repti calcium with no d3) But im not sure if he ate them or if they escaped honestly cuz i only see one in cage now because they must have jumped over cup

also eyes are closed while basking , but i think that is cuz he has no plants and a place to hide and feel comfortable

also will any old rocks work if i wash them off? My gf has a beach themed backyard with small flat stones, but not anywhere near small enough to eat, would those be safe?
yeah that is fine. Just no glass and make sure they are all larger then an inch in diameter. :)

pop was mainly when i first got him but today puffing has seemed to stop, i think he ate some crickets i left for him but no meal worms. (I give hime 5 crickets, small size and 1 or 2 meal worms as a snack in a homemade feeder cup i made with water bottle and magnet, and they were all lightly dusted with repti calcium with no d3) But im not sure if he ate them or if they escaped honestly cuz i only see one in cage now because they must have jumped over cup
ok no mealworms for the little man. They are not good nutritionally for them. And at his age he should be getting as many crickets as he wants and all lightly dusted. At his size it would be 1/4 inch and no larger for crickets. I like the TK chameleons shooter gallery in the large size for a feeder run. You lose less crickets in the enclosure with this one https://tkchameleons.com/

His colors will be off while he is stressed. Once the enclosure is more suited to his needs and he adjusts to his new environment they will regulate.

i know i wanted the fern at the bottom right now or moisture collection overnight and i figured if he did get into it he wouldnt die cuz it was on FL Chams tht it was safe and this page has said good things about them. But do you recommend the clear cooking wrap stuff around 2 or 3 sides of mesh cage to keep moisture up at night with a fogger now tht i have it?
This depends on your ambient humidity levels. I used duct window seal to block sides when I had screen cages. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-62-...MIhMnn1oW_7AIVhobACh2VjAqGEAQYASABEgJWufD_BwE

This depends on your ambient humidity levels. I used duct window seal to block sides when I had screen cages. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-62-...MIhMnn1oW_7AIVhobACh2VjAqGEAQYASABEgJWufD_BwE
right now he is about 45 to 50 humidity and i havent sprayed today expect 20 mins before lights came on at 8am. So i feel it will be okay, the cage is in a corner on the opposite side of the floor vents and window i have. But i have a small/medium desk fan on the opposite side of my desk and also a bigger one by the vent in the floor and window to bring in fresh air

Not in direct contact but enough to have air keep moving. should i move the cage to other side of room maybe and rely more on the window and less on fans? Its getting pretty chill on the east now so i was hesitant on tht idea

right now he is about 45 to 50 humidity and i havent sprayed today expect 20 mins before lights came on at 8am. So i feel it will be okay, the cage is in a corner on the opposite side of the floor vents and window i have. But i have a small/medium desk fan on the opposite side of my desk and also a bigger one by the vent in the floor and window to bring in fresh air
So those are good for daytime. You do not want it higher then that. If you do any of the panels just do the back wall panel so you avoid misting your walls lol. You will still have air circulation so no need to worry

So those are good for daytime. You do not want it higher then that. If you do any of the panels just do the back wall panel so you avoid misting your walls lol. You will still have air circulation so no need to worry
should i keep the fans goin all the time for him then? or cut them off at night to let humidity go up

should i keep the fans goin all the time for him then? or cut them off at night to let humidity go up
honestly you do not need the fans... but if you use them just make sure they are not blowing right on the cage because it will mess with your gradients for temp and humidity. You can open a window to get fresh air. But in a screen cage there is a ton of air movement already.

i will definitely be purcahsin those when i get the chance cuz those seem to be a life saver. But for right now is there any home remedys i can use for this like zipties or such? This little guy has really wiped me out this paycheck loool
I use small zip ties for a lot. You can use bamboo rods and cut them down to size and build a frame that you slide into the enclosure. this will help with attaching plants and branches. Get real branches from your yard wash them off and use them. Just not from a pine tree or sap producing tree. Anyways the bamboo rods are pretty cheap at home depot or lowes. Not a great long term method as they do mold a bit.

Back
Top Bottom