New Cham not eating and making slight pop or click noise while breathing occasionally

Make sure you go to a vet that has chameleon experience. I recommend not to got to the pet-smart vet. Try to find a vet with Cham experience and get in as soon as possible. These get bad pretty quickly and can be bad but don’t worry it will be ok.you could take it to pet-smart since you have a warranty but try to check if they have experience with chams it won’t hurt to take them but they may not know what to do.

Last edited:
IF he has one. He might. It’s seems a possibility. But he also might not. It is also possible it could be something else. Idk, do what you think is best, look into RI more, and if he continues to have this behavior or it gets worse after you know temps and humidity are correct, then take him to a vet. That’s what I would do.

Make sure you go to a vet that has chameleon experience. I recommend not to got to the pet-smart vet. Try to find a vet with Cham experience and get in as soon as possible. These get bad pretty quickly and can be bad but don’t worry it will be ok.you could take it to pet-smart since you have a warranty but try to check if they have experience with chams it won’t hurt to take them but they may not know what to do.
i have called a few vets before i got him so i would know where to go and alot of vets tht had experience are 2 plus hours away which is not an option considering i would have to ask parents for ride

are there any steps i can take to reverse an early infection by myself? Ive read a few things of a few mins outside a steamy shower might help, but again im new and still learning and dont want to make a mistake which will end up being doing more harm then good

ive only had him for 2 days in my house, tomorrow being the third. and its not the often maybe once every hour or 2. He seems to be gaping less due to the heat change i made, but he still puffs out and will sometimes pop
Ok good don’t panic it might not be an RI do some research on RIs and call petsmart tell them you think he is sick. take him to the vet do some research. Do whatever you are going to do in about a week.

Well that is a relief tht it could not be that. But i will definietly be taking him to the vet for a checkup since he is from petsmart and i feel they are less cared for then online breeders now tht im looking more into it. But i still love my little guy and just want him to be okay, ive been stressing more then i probly should but i just want to make sure its not due to an error on my end why he might have ended up sick

I personally wouldn’t do a home treatment like steamy showers... that also doesn’t make sense to me. I thought part of the reason chams even got RIs in the first place was because of constant dampness? That allowed bacteria to grow?? So like wouldn't that make it worse?? I dunno I wouldn’t personally. Just make sure the cage dries out And is not constantly damp.

Yes you could mist every 3 or 4 hours. If you had a plant i would say once in the morning and once at night. Home Depot,Lowe’s and a your local nursery should have plants. Here are some good options https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
thank you and as when he is sleeping should i keep misting his cage then as well? i know previously in the thread tht 100 percent humidity is good for veiled but i dont see how tht would be possible for me without a misting system and live plants. Ill be taking a trip to home depot or my local nursery to look at some plants for him, so thank you for tht picture with what plants are good for them

I personally wouldn’t do a home treatment like steamy showers... that also doesn’t make sense to me. I thought part of the reason chams even got RIs in the first place was because of constant dampness? That allowed bacteria to grow?? So like wouldn't that make it worse?? I dunno I wouldn’t personally. Just make sure the cage dries out And is not constantly damp.
okay so 3 to 4 hours for hand misting with plastic plants will be enough time for a proper dry? I only have the exo terra matt on the bottom of the cage currently but i use a microfiber to seep up and extra moisture after sprays and drip sessions

and thank you guys for being so active as i am a new father it makes me nervous and ive spent more time on this forum in the last 2 days then i would like to admit but posting was definitely a better solution to my worries

100 percent humidity is way to high unless it is during the night. If you have good airflow than that should keep the RI from getting as bad or another one happening. You can create good airflow by putting a fan by the enclosure from a distance or put a muffin fan on top of the enclosure but not over basking spot.i would remove the green carpet on the floor bacteria can grow on it.

okay, well 100 percent humidity just isnt possible without a mister or steam production and real plants i dont think, i can get it to about 75 but not much more then that for night time. And when i try to keep it that high the entire habitat floor, vines etc end up soaked. would a small cover over the top of his enclosure during night help keep humidity up until i an get real plants tomorrow.

i was also going to ask about a fan on the cage during night to help keep temps down so thanks for that as well.

His schedule is 8 to 8 due to my odd hours of sleeping, so i could realistically stay up another hour and mist before i sleep but the enclosure wont become to dry during the day? Like i said the first day i kept the cage at 70 to 50 all day and night. Temps are only thing ive been letting fluctuate really

Back
Top Bottom