New boy:)

@Peeps101 OK I do not mean to be rude if it comes out this way.... BUT you do not know all the things that @Syreptyon said.
If you did you would not have been shopping for a compact uvb bulb.
You would know what size "terrarium" you got.
You would know that a potato is not a complete nor full gutload formula.

Not knowing is fine. That is why you ask questions but saying " Actually I do know all of those things you listed." when in fact you don't will only do you and your chameleon a disservice.

If we don't feel you are open to help how are we supposed to assist you?

I typically like to be able to see my chameleon before I buy one so I like to use local reptile stores that are knowledgeable. I have one in my area that is very good. Stay away from Petco cause as I’m sure you can see they don’t treat their animals very well and are staffed by people who are given wrong information. If you don’t have a local reptile store then order one online from a reputable reptile dealer. I personally like lllretpile but everyone have their own opinions
Personally I’d say petsmart is worse. I asked to hold their veiled cham last week and the worker dove her hand inside and snatched him off a branch. I was shocked but I didn’t say anything, I felt I should’ve. The only ‘local’ reptile store is miles away from me. Besides, even if they don’t treat they good in stores like petco, I will.

@Peeps101 OK I do not mean to be rude if it comes out this way.... BUT you do not know all the things that @Syreptyon said.
If you did you would not have been shopping for a compact uvb bulb.
You would know what size "terrarium" you got.
You would know that a potato is not a complete nor full gutload formula.

Not knowing is fine. That is why you ask questions but saying " Actually I do know all of those things you listed." when in fact you don't will only do you and your chameleon a disservice.

If we don't feel you are open to help how are we supposed to assist you?
No I am open to help. I’m just pretty tired of getting different info from different people

No I am open to help. I’m just pretty tired of getting different info from different people
Ok well this forum is full of the right information. You will be told pretty much the same thing by everyone here. It is the most knowledgeable place I found for getting real and accurate information. But just know that you will never stop learning. There is always more to learn. As the hobby advances so does the knowledge and therefor husbandry of these animals changes. Be open and read read read as much as you can. Use the search function to look up things your not sure about and yes of course ask questions.

As far as your petco baby. I am not going to say you were right or wrong in that decision. Mine is a petco baby. I got lucky with him as he had no health issues when I got him from them. But the reason why people avoid buying their chams from them and other chain stores is that they can have health issues. Parasites, MBD, Respiratory infections, and broken bones. There is also no guarantee of them living a long life because their breeding is unknown.
Just make sure to take a stool sample to a reptile vet to get tested to ensure that there are no parasites. So rather then going through these chains they go through reputable breeders to get the Cham they are looking for. :)

I agree with the previous statements. All of us have made mistakes and vet bills can get expensive! Just read the care sheet for veiled chameleons and follow that info. If new questions arise feel free to ask. I have 2 veiled chameleons right now and am willing to help out if you need it

Ok well this forum is full of the right information. You will be told pretty much the same thing by everyone here. It is the most knowledgeable place I found for getting real and accurate information. But just know that you will never stop learning. There is always more to learn. As the hobby advances so does the knowledge and therefor husbandry of these animals changes. Be open and read read read as much as you can. Use the search function to look up things your not sure about and yes of course ask questions.

As far as your petco baby. I am not going to say you were right or wrong in that decision. Mine is a petco baby. I got lucky with him as he had no health issues when I got him from them. But the reason why people avoid buying their chams from them and other chain stores is that they can have health issues. Parasites, MBD, Respiratory infections, and broken bones. There is also no guarantee of them living a long life because their breeding is unknown.
Just make sure to take a stool sample to a reptile vet to get tested to ensure that there are no parasites. So rather then going through these chains they go through reputable breeders to get the Cham they are looking for. :)
He looks pretty healthy. He’s nice and fat, the good type. When he poops should I take a pic and put it here?

Quick question, @Beman He ate some dusted crickets today, but one in his bowl died (probably didn’t eat enough) and occasionally 1/2 of the crickets left will go over and have a snack on his friends dead body. Is this bad if my cham eats the live one that’s eating the dead cricket? If so I’ll dump them outside. I’ve got more.

Quick question, @Beman He ate some dusted crickets today, but one in his bowl died (probably didn’t eat enough) and occasionally 1/2 of the crickets left will go over and have a snack on his friends dead body. Is this bad if my cham eats the live one that’s eating the dead cricket? If so I’ll dump them outside. I’ve got more.
Yeah don't leave the dead ones in his bowl. He won't eat them and its kinda nasty. How old is he and how much are you currently feeding?

Yeah don't leave the dead ones in his bowl. He won't eat them and its kinda nasty. How old is he and how much are you currently feeding?
He’s almost 4 maybe 3 and a half months. He’s eating nearly 4 a day. I dumped the cannibal crickets out my window and put in 3 live ones. Rn he’s up high just basking.

He’s almost 4 maybe 3 and a half months. He’s eating nearly 4 a day. I dumped the cannibal crickets out my window and put in 3 live ones. Rn he’s up high just basking.
Ok if he is 3-4 months he should be eating about 15 small crickets a day. You want to feed him in the morning so he has all day to digest in the heat.
Take a pic of your entire cage lights down for me so I can see how you have everything set up right now.

Ok if he is 3-4 months he should be eating about 15 small crickets a day. You want to feed him in the morning so he has all day to digest in the heat.
Take a pic of your entire cage lights down for me so I can see how you have everything set up right now.
Okay so he just pooped. Here’s a pic
image.jpg

This cage is small, I can’t get any faster shipping on his new enclosure. For now he’s in this, then later it’ll be 18x12x20
View attachment 223695
I understand this is a temporary cage. You need to order a screen cage that is 24/24/48tall. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...50528701&sr=8-16&keywords=screen+reptile+cage
Cancel your order on the one you have ordered it will still be way too small for him. They need the screen for airflow. How are you currently providing water? Are you misting? How hot is it in there and what is your humidity at?
Did you get the T5 linear UVB lighting?

I understand this is a temporary cage. You need to order a screen cage that is 24/24/48tall. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...50528701&sr=8-16&keywords=screen+reptile+cage
Cancel your order on the one you have ordered it will still be way too small for him. They need the screen for airflow. How are you currently providing water? Are you misting? How hot is it in there and what is your humidity at?
Did you get the T5 linear UVB lighting?
Yes that exact lighting. Yes I am misting. The cage I ordered is all screen. Perhaps this cage will be another temporary as I do not have $285 in my pocket atm..

Back
Top Bottom