New boy:)

Peeps101

Established Member
I’ve had my eye on this cham for some months now but before I bring him home from the pet store I’d like to make sure everything is in tip-top shape for my little guy. The terrarium is 12x12x20 and I am out right now looking for the UVB bulb and basking bulb (I have a dual lamp for them at home). I know the UVB bulb has to be a T5 or T8, does anyone know if any of these will work? They say 5.0 Does that mean T5? Here’s a pic of it
image.jpg

No those are not. A T5 or a T8 bulb are linear bulbs....those pictured are compact bulbs and not ideal uvb output for chameleons. Please look in the resources area for the proper UVB suggestions...

It’s always best to have all the correct supplies for a chameleon before you get him. Larger screen cage at least 18x18x36 and linear uvb lighting. If not the chameleon will have problems and you’ll have to rush to get these things later on , making your investment much more pricey. Good job trying to get prepared before impulse buying though!

No those are not. A T5 or a T8 bulb are linear bulbs....those pictured are compact bulbs and not ideal uvb output for chameleons. Please look in the resources area for the proper UVB suggestions...
I looked at the lighting on this page, the UVB bulbs come in those pronged things I showed in the pic and linear

I looked at the lighting on this page, the UVB bulbs come in those pronged things I showed in the pic and linear
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to...the picture you posted were compact bulbs. The linear bulbs have prongs and the T8 and T5 refer to the diameter of the linear bulb and they are not interchangeable. If you buy a T5 linear bulb, you will need a T5 linear bulb fixture. If you buy a T8 bulb, then you'll need a T8 fixture. Compact bulbs (the ones you posted a picture of) don't meet the uvb needs of most reptiles, let alone chameleons.

Look at this... As stated the picture you posted is of a compact bulb. If you use this your Cham will develop MBD and die.
View attachment 223651
You’d think both petsmart and petco would stop selling these bulbs if they are the wrong ones. They have experts on chams even tell me these will work. There was a little girl and her mother there with me yesterday wanting to buy the on sale $250 panther chameleon and I’m sure they gave them the wrong details too.

You would think but unfortunately they really don't know any better. They suggest them because that is what is on their shelf to sell. It is like the kit that they sell with the double dome light it is not going to work for anyone long term and the lighting again is a compact bulb. The size of the cage in that one is 16x16x30 and will not be suitable for a male cham past 6 months old. We see it here all the time with people that were missinformed and now their cham is close to death because the lighting was wrong and the supplements were wrong. What kind of Cham are you getting or have you already gotten it?
I am going to post some other pics that may help you. Take a look at the resources tab as well.
Supplements pic.jpeg
Gutloading 101.jpeg
nonUVB pic.jpeg
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg

You would think but unfortunately they really don't know any better. They suggest them because that is what is on their shelf to sell. It is like the kit that they sell with the double dome light it is not going to work for anyone long term and the lighting again is a compact bulb. The size of the cage in that one is 16x16x30 and will not be suitable for a male cham past 6 months old. We see it here all the time with people that were missinformed and now their cham is close to death because the lighting was wrong and the supplements were wrong. What kind of Cham are you getting or have you already gotten it?
I am going to post some other pics that may help you. Take a look at the resources tab as well.
View attachment 223668View attachment 223669View attachment 223670View attachment 223671
I found the reptisun uvb bulb from the last pic on chewy.com for $18. I’ll get that one. I have a small pen of crickets and I’ve been feeding them a piece of potato, should I do more? And with the calcium I know you dust them with it, is it the same case with the viatamins?

I found the reptisun uvb bulb from the last pic on chewy.com for $18. I’ll get that one. I have a small pen of crickets and I’ve been feeding them a piece of potato, should I do more? And with the calcium I know you dust them with it, is it the same case with the viatamins?
What kind of Chameleon did you get?
You have to gutload with multiple items from the nutritious side of the list I posted. Or do a premade gutload like cricket crack or resplashy bug burger. You should not feed only crickets either you have to do an assortment. For supplements. Vitamins are lightly dusted every 2 weeks on your feeders for that day. Calcium with D3 is dusted lightly every two weeks on feeders that day, and Calcium WITHOUT D3 is dusted lightly at nearly every feed. There is a lot you have to do to provide proper care or they get sick very very easily.

What kind of Chameleon did you get?
You have to gutload with multiple items from the nutritious side of the list I posted. Or do a premade gutload like cricket crack or resplashy bug burger. You should not feed only crickets either you have to do an assortment. For supplements. Vitamins are lightly dusted every 2 weeks on your feeders for that day. Calcium with D3 is dusted lightly every two weeks on feeders that day, and Calcium WITHOUT D3 is dusted lightly at nearly every feed. There is a lot you have to do to provide proper care or they get sick very very easily.
Okay, I gave them a carrot. The chameleon is veiled.

OK well a carrot won't be enough. Take a look at the care sheet it will point out other areas https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
And here is an additional link with important sections to read through https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
It is really important that you follow everything that they need from cage size, to feeding, supplements, lighting, humidity, temperatures, gutloading, and misting. If you leave one out or don't do something completely your Cham will get sick. They are very delicate animals and when one aspect of their husbandry is off they suffer for it.

OK well a carrot won't be enough. Take a look at the care sheet it will point out other areas https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
And here is an additional link with important sections to read through https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
It is really important that you follow everything that they need from cage size, to feeding, supplements, lighting, humidity, temperatures, gutloading, and misting. If you leave one out or don't do something completely your Cham will get sick. They are very delicate animals and when one aspect of their husbandry is off they suffer for it.
Okay thank you.

I hope you have not purchased this chameleon yet...
You say "I’d like to make sure everything is in tip-top shape," but it is very very clear you haven't done your research well enough yet.

You have displayed lack of understanding in all the following, which are some of the most basic and essential things to know:
(1) lights
(2) appropriate enclosure size
(3) gutloading
(4) even considering buying a chameleon from petco

Please, please I beg you not to buy the chameleon until you are actually prepared and know what you're doing. It's just going to be a bad situation for you and the chameleon otherwise... I know it's hard to wait, but you owe it to your future animal to be prepared and knowledgable.

I hope you have not purchased this chameleon yet...
You say "I’d like to make sure everything is in tip-top shape," but it is very very clear you haven't done your research well enough yet.

You have displayed lack of understanding in all the following, which are some of the most basic and essential things to know:
(1) lights
(2) appropriate enclosure size
(3) gutloading
(4) even considering buying a chameleon from petco

Please, please I beg you not to buy the chameleon until you are actually prepared and know what you're doing. It's just going to be a bad situation for you and the chameleon otherwise... I know it's hard to wait, but you owe it to your future animal to be prepared and knowledgable.
Actually I do know all of those things you listed. I was only asking questions. It’s not wrong to ask questions. And where else would you purpose I buy a chameleon from?

I typically like to be able to see my chameleon before I buy one so I like to use local reptile stores that are knowledgeable. I have one in my area that is very good. Stay away from Petco cause as I’m sure you can see they don’t treat their animals very well and are staffed by people who are given wrong information. If you don’t have a local reptile store then order one online from a reputable reptile dealer. I personally like lllretpile but everyone have their own opinions

Back
Top Bottom