NEW BORNS

I can admit I jumped into breeding my chameleons prematurely. I figured if she is going to lay eggs anyway. Why not actually fertilize them and get some return on investment but With the space they need I found out I was in over my head. Even still I have made the best of it. I am in a situation I did not expect and this will be the end of my breeding chameleons for a while. I will do my best to care for what I have now, and look forward to it. I just do not have that kind of space available. I have had to clean out my garage and office to make this work. Not just for the little guys but for breeding projects for insects for them. I am going to continue down the bug realm for a while and get some established feed for all my critters. While the bugs take up space too. I can house them outdoors with little problems. In North Florida I can house the chameleons out doors too but not year round. Right now we are in the 40s. 2 nights ago we where in the low 30s. My garage is detached but It does have electric on one circuit. Meaning I can only have so much plugged in out there but Its enough for a heater and some lights. Not suitable for the little guys but perfect for the bugs.

Whats the deal with the rip's. Are those chameleons you have lost?
Yes. Echo had a stomach torsion and despite 3 vet visits he succumbed to it. And Elsa was a pitty-rescue that was way too young to have been in the pet trade. She was only 2" long when I got her, which was also, unfortunately, in the middle of winter and in a blizzard. I currently have one of @jannb 's stunning females out of Amos and Fiona. And Eragon, whom you've met.

Yes. Echo had a stomach torsion and despite 3 vet visits he succumbed to it. And Elsa was a pitty-rescue that was way too young to have been in the pet trade. She was only 2" long when I got her, which was also, unfortunately, in the middle of winter and in a blizzard. I currently have one of @jannb 's stunning females out of Amos and Fiona. And Eragon, whom you've met.
That is very sad, I know the feeling when it comes to winter. Not that we get blizzards. I had a Burmese python for 10 years, and lost her about 5 years ago, due to a power outage at night (I have a generator pre-wired now). by the time I realized what was going on it was all to late. Her core temp had dropped to low and she literally died in my hands. Anyway I think that is a wonderful way to keep them in your thoughts. Its always hard to lose a pet. No matter how long you have had it. It becomes part of your family. My sympathy friend for your loses, and good to see you did not give up on them. I have three now. (Yoshi) my male vield is almost 5, my female (Princess) is coming up on 2, and My panther (Pollock) in my pic is 4. and soon to be a whole lot of offspring, Which is the reason for the post lol.

Why yes, I do believe that we have come full circle in the conversation. LOL! I would love to see pictures of your chams, if you would post them. I have had many different lizards and snakes over the years, but for some reason, Chams are my favorite.

I am not big on photos, I mean nothing against them I just never take them. Always just in the moment. I would like to set something up I just tend to forget. I do have a few old ones floating around here somewhere from issues I have had. Anyway I agree chameleons are my favorite too. They are just a plethora of adaptations. The tongue, feet, tail, color changing, and eyes, love the eyes, especially when they are watching me, or feeding.
I have had my ups and downs with them too. I killed my first one just not thinking it out, she died from MBD, and almost lost my second from being egg bound (did not realize they did not need a mate to lay eggs). hard lesson learned. I want to breed them more but I do not have the time or space. I will work on that and maybe in the near future. I just still have a lot more to learn first . and its taken me a while to realize that. Even still I have over 85 eggs all together now and have to get it together. It have been a fun process though. letting them mate, Setting up lay bins, Collecting the eggs, keeping the moisture right and checking weights, and now setting up for juveniles before they come. Its has been stressful, but I can not wait for them to hatch. And yet I want more time to prepare lol. so far I have a ton of fake plants, misting system, a 4' light fixure, Plus a few basking lamps and 8 bins, and now starting a fruit fly colony. I really like the last layout we seen from jannb. I am now looking at down rods to make those little perches, and I am building a stand for the light system. Thank you jannb!

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far. I am evaluating all the info and references to make my set up as best as possible. I will try to take photos when I am done to show but I probably wont lol.

@jannb, what type of bulb are you using, I would guess it’s the same bulbs you use on you condos? What temp are you shooting at the high end?

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

I use a 25 watt household basking bulb but remember I’m in the warm FL Keys but we do have the AC on. I keep the babies around 81 to 82. For UVB I use a Reptisun 5.0 that’s 48 inches long.

I feed babies fruit flies and pinhead crickets. I mist them two to three times a day. This is how I house my babies.

View attachment 257228
Its been a min, but I was thinking about you lighting set up. I was wondering if you could give me some dimensions and lighting specs. Like are those 4' and are you using t5 or t8. What fixture would you recommend. And I am assuming the dome lights are for basking bulbs. Also how close do you hang the fixure? Most I have read is that the uvb only penetrates a so far but you seam to have some distance and I assume for a reason? heat? Maybe just a visual illusion? Also looks like your hand missing. Would you recommend over automated for the little ones?

Update! I came home yesterday and found seven little babies running around the hatch bin. I have placed then in the new containers and am awaiting more hatchlings. I am very excited and want to say thank you to everyone!

Attachments

• 6976.jpg
    6976.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 6975.jpg
    6975.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom