New at owning a chameleon

Number1Bud

Hi there just wondering if there's any helpful tips anyone can give a little bit about my Cham he's 4m old eating a few crickets a day I have his temperature starting at 85 to 90f I have a humidifier hamster spray the cage down

N1B,

Glad you found the site. What type of cham. have you acquired? How is your enclosure set up? To start, you might fill out (cut and paste it into this thread) the how to ask for help form, so that we can get a feel for what/ how your keeping your cham.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

A good thread to begin with:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...r-a-first-time-chameleon.167029/#post-1449894

Also, check out the resources tab in the green bar at the top of the page. It is a treasure trove of info. that I refer to for the husbandry of my cham.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/

Additionally, you can use the search bar for anything you might be wondering and usually pull up a plethora of info.

Welcome to the forum. You have found a great site, with wonderful people who care deeply for their "little dragons."

He's a veiled chameleon like I said he's got a humidifier hooked up and I spray him quite often but I do want to pick up mistking

Attachments

• 20190108_111145.jpg
    20190108_111145.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20190108_111137.jpg
    20190108_111137.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190108_111131.jpg
    20190108_111131.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20190108_111123.jpg
    20190108_111123.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 135
At 4 months old, he should be eating significantly more than "a few" crickets a day. Do you have a UVB bulb in there for him? If you would like more detailed advice, it would be super helpful if you could fill out the following form in full so we can more comprehensively assess the quality of your husbandry! (y)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male 4 months old. I've had him for about A week
  • Handling - I've only handle him once and that was the day I got him.
  • Feeding - crickets mealworms and wax worms at the moment want to get him some greens
  • Supplements - I only have him on zoo med repti calcium and reptisafe for his water
  • Watering - I spray his cage down with a fine mist for about 2 minutes three to four times a day and yes I see him drinking water quite often
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white in it
  • History - no history not to my knowledge

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it's a medium repti breeze zoo med mesh terrarium
  • Lighting - is in a mini deep down zoo med lamp fixture with a UVB bulb 0.5 the 75 watt basking bulb
  • Temperature - temperature spot starting from basking area is 85 to 90 and bottom of terrarium temperatures range from 65 to70 night temperatures are the same as bottom
  • Humidity - I have a humidifier running I mist the cage three to 4 times a day plus i have zoo med Cypress wood chips at the bottom
  • Plants - I am not using live plants at this time I would like to know which ones are the safest I know rubber ficus R OK
  • Placement - I have his terrarium in my room the top of its terrarium stands at my mid-chest.
  • Location - I'm from Utah

Last edited:
You'll want a linear uvb light so it covers more area. Mealworms are generally not okay for chameleons as they're harder to digest. Remover the wood chips. And you'll want to put his cage on something taller so he can be up high.

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male 4 months old. I've had him for about A week
  • Handling - I've only handle him once and that was the day I got him.
  • Feeding - crickets mealworms and wax worms at the moment want to get him some greens
  • Supplements - I only have him on zoo med repti calcium and reptisafe for his water
  • Watering - I spray his cage down with a fine mist for about 2 minutes three to four times a day and yes I see him drinking water quite often
  • Fecal Description - Brown with white in it
  • History - no history not to my knowledge

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it's a medium repti breeze zoo med mesh terrarium
  • Lighting - is in a mini deep down zoo med lamp fixture with a UVB bulb 0.5 the 75 watt basking bulb
  • Temperature - temperature spot starting from basking area is 85 to 90 and bottom of terrarium temperatures range from 65 to70 night temperatures are the same as bottom
  • Humidity - I have a humidifier running I mist the cage three to 4 times a day plus i have zoo med Cypress wood chips at the bottom
  • Plants - I am not using live plants at this time I would like to know which ones are the safest I know rubber ficus R OK
  • Placement - I have his terrarium in my room the top of its terrarium stands at my mid-chest.
  • Location - I'm from Utah
do not feed mealworms, they can cause impaction, do not feed waxworms, they'll make him obese, waxworms are a treat.
some great feeders are mantids, bsf, bsfl, bbf, roaches, and silkworms
great treats can be hornworms, wax worm mothes and superworms
calcium should be: (every day calcium no d3) (every other week calcium with d3) (everyother week multivitamin)
you will eventually need a 2x2x4 for your chameleon.
get rid of the compact uvb, you need linear, compact doesn't provide enough uvb for a chameleons needs.
get rid of the cypress wood chips, veiled chams are known for eating substrate
rubber ficus is mildly toxic if I'm correct, flchams has an extensive plant safe list https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
you may want to make the tank higher, height = safety to chams
hopefully you find all this helpful!!!:) also your little guy is just so cute!!!

Back
Top Bottom