New Arrivals!!!

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Got these beauties in today! (Male first, Darker "Barkier", Female Second)

20200527_164253.jpg

20200527_164022.jpg

Uroplatus (sikorae) sameti. I have seen these touted as a sub species (Uroplatus sikorae sameti) and as there own (U. sameti) seems to be some scientifical disagreement on this.

Same with common name, I have seen them called Mossy (like sikorae) and also Super Mossy.

VS sikorae, they tend to be more patterned, slightly larger (an inch tops) and have a pink throat vs black of the sikorae.

20200527_161238.jpg

20200527_161149.jpg

I was super worried, as they do not take to high temps well. Fed Ex had them on the truck since 9am!

Luckily they had them in a AC cooled Fed Ex Van, I was so relieved when I saw the van and went to window and the AC was blowing I was like oh thank gosh.

20200527_161052.jpg

20200527_161106.jpg

So they seemed to arrive safe and sound. Going to try my hand and breeding these guys, I will keep everyone posted. Oh and there new home, not done yet. I am waiting on a few birch branches to add.

20200527_164205.jpg

And Mr. Panther, was less than impressed from his view everything going on spot.

20200526_164156.jpg

Attachments

• 20200527_161036.jpg
    20200527_161036.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Very nice!
Do they drop their tiles easily?

I assume you mean there tails?

I dont think they do so easily. I think all Uroplatus can drop their tails, under immense stress but none grow them back afaik, so not easily and hopefully it doesn't happen.

They do, seem to have some limited color change, but color change none the less. The female has a drastically more mossy color atm with a diffrent pattern. Except unlike chameleons they seem to change to actually blend in. Which from some of the photos I have seen, they do really darn well!

Looks like a gecko species, I guess it's biologically different enough, it gets it's own classification, very cool!!

Looks like a gecko species, I guess it's biologically different enough, it gets it's own classification, very cool!!

Oh I didnt mean its own classification outside of Gecko.

Its defiantly a gecko lol. The classification comes from the "sikorae" or not is what I was talking about.

So there is Uroplatus sikorae, the Mossy Leaf Tail Gecko. And there is these, Sameti Mossy Leaf Tails. They look almost identical with some small differences, the sameti get slightly larger, have a pink throat vs black and tend to be more colored.

Think of like Panther Chameleons. Is Ambajana a diffrent species than Ambilobe, its being suggested as of late that is possible. Similar thing kind of.

Those are gorgeous, congratulations!

Thanks.

So guess good time for update!

They have both eaten 1 adult Red Runner dusted with Calcium Plus. I gave them 4, they ate 1 each and left the other 2. So either they weren't too hungry or thats normal meal for them idk. However that was the other night 3rd night after arrival. They ate them pretty fast, with in 5 mins the male got his and the female followed and grabbed hers.

I did free range 4 Halloween Hisser Nymphs the first night, and they may have eaten those as well.

They have both pooped, I should get a fecal, but haven't yet.

I watched them pretty late the night I fed. The male was trying to get it on, with the female not having it. She snipped at him a few times, and then he left her alone. So not sure if they have mated yet, or if she isn't in the mood or why. Time will tell, and I will update if they do.

There hasn't seemed to be any aggression issues outside of the mating attempt the one time. Which I have read is quite normal, some snipping / light biting, is how the female makes it known, im not in tbe mood. The male did seem to take the hint as well so that's good.

They seem to move about their sleep spot during the day. They usually stay on the same branch, but they turn around on the branch to either get more UV or less it would seem.

The female seems to prefer a certain spot, with a UVI of about 3. The Males preffered spots, seem to be little under 2.

However she tends to move, in and out of the light more throughout the day than he does.

I know there is alot of question about that aspect. Of whether nocturnal geckos bask, or like UV. Idk people on the Uro group use UV, I seen some loose studies show UV in the wild between 1-3, where they are found. So I gave it, and they seem to bask in it, and move when its too much, and then back.

Last edited:
I keep hearing the lines:
Swamp Thing, you make my heart sing.
Swamp Thing, I think I love you.
(To the tune of Wild Thing) :rolleyes:

been very interested in this babies lately. Maybe I might get one in the future after doing tons of research and getting my own place with more space. They are gorgeous!

Thanks.

So guess good time for update!

They have both eaten 1 adult Red Runner dusted with Calcium Plus. I gave them 4, they ate 1 each and left the other 2. So either they weren't too hungry or thats normal meal for them idk. However that was the other night 3rd night after arrival. They ate them pretty fast, with in 5 mins the male got his and the female followed and grabbed hers.

I did free range 4 Halloween Hisser Nymphs the first night, and they may have eaten those as well.

They have both pooped, I should get a fecal, but haven't yet.

I watched them pretty late the night I fed. The male was trying to get it on, with the female not having it. She snipped at him a few times, and then he left her alone. So not sure if they have mated yet, or if she isn't in the mood or why. Time will tell, and I will update if they do.

There hasn't seemed to be any aggression issues outside of the mating attempt the one time. Which I have read is quite normal, some snipping / light biting, is how the female makes it known, im not in tbe mood. The male did seem to take the hint as well so that's good.

They seem to move about their sleep spot during the day. They usually stay on the same branch, but they turn around on the branch to either get more UV or less it would seem.

The female seems to prefer a certain spot, with a UVI of about 3. The Males preffered spots, seem to be little under 2.

However she tends to move, in and out of the light more throughout the day than he does.

I know there is alot of question about that aspect. Of whether nocturnal geckos bask, or like UV. Idk people on the Uro group use UV, I seen some loose studies show UV in the wild between 1-3, where they are found. So I gave it, and they seem to bask in it, and move when its too much, and then back.
Did they ever mate ? How are they ? This species has been very intriguing as of late. These and satanics !

Back
Top Bottom