Never give up hope.

VigilantSpearIII

This ties into my earlier thread, but I thought I would make a new one. As I mentioned I had a clutch of new Xantholophus Jacksons. Now, I know many breeders that will not bother the neonates as they are being dropped, but in my experience, I do intervene. One thing that I think should be known is that since Jacskons give live birth, it is necessary for the sacs of placenta to drop at least 12". Oh no!!! Some might gasp at this, but the reason being is that the neonates need help bursting from their placenta. Gravity is a Jackson baby's best friend here. Another thing to note is that the actual drop seems to jump-start the neonates, strange but true. Yesterday was not an exception with my female. All but 4 sacs dropped and stayed glued to the screen or a leaf. These were not moving and needed assistance in coming into this world. I gently make an opening for them and they all are doing just fine.

I had one though that was apparently stillborn...
20130802_165925_85168.jpg

Several attempts to wake him proved useless.
20130802_165925_160195.jpg

I decided to act quickly and began pumping his abdomen area ever so gently. After about five minutes of this, to my surprise, he shook violently and began gasping for air. I took him out into the sunlight for 30 minutes and misted him with warm water. No response, just the occasional gasping for air every 5 minutes or so. I decided to take extreme measures and carefully opened his mouth...I used a coffee straw and blew little puffs of air into his mouth, watching to see his chest rise and fall. After roughly 10 minutes of this. Voila! he began breathing normally. I placed him onto a moist paper towel in a small container near a heat pad for the night. Temps were at 70F exaclty.

This is him today.
20130803_110420.jpg

Here is his mom.
20130803_110242%25280%2529.jpg

Moral of the story, is never give up hope on your Chameleons, they are tough critters and can pull through even in the worst of times.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. I think it is something everyone should see. Had I been in that situation I would have just left the baby for dead. Now after seeing this I would at least try knowing there is hope...

incredible effort by you!

i have to say we are all glad your chams have you to guide them on their journey. i would feel lucky if i ever had the opportunity to meet you:eek:

Awww, that's so touching! I hope the little guy does well.

Yeah, he seems a little less active then his clutch-mates, but for the most part he is acting like a normal neonate. I placed him with the rest of the group and I am awaiting their appetites to start. I am really hoping he makes it to the 2 week mark, they usually are rock solid after 2 weeks. The mother is a WC that I needed to bring in new blood to my crew, but I got her pretty young and she is pretty rock solid as far as health goes. This is her first clutch so casualties were to be expected, she had 1 slug, and the rest are doing well. 100% birth rate is pretty good for a first-time mother.

Thats pretty amazing and huge Kudos to you for the effort.

I am curious however how he progresses. The whole idea that if he wasn't strong enough to breathe on his own are their other issues not yet apparent. You know, perhaps he wasn't meant to live.

I am not suggesting you dont give it a try, but I am curious to see if he normalizes or not.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

VigilantSpearIII, Very cool story. Made me remember when I tried to give cpr to my favorite fish several years ago. :D You do know that you will have to keep this little one now. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom