Need UBV advice - Any input appreciated as always!

rajon1080

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade to a t5 uvb bulb as I've read/ been advised multiple times on the poor quality of dome fixture/ CFL bulb I'm currently using. I just need some help choosing a fixture to house the bulb I'm going to go with.

Does the quality of the actual fixture vary much, or are does it not make much difference as long as the fixture can support the bulb I'm using?

Any suggestions on a fixture to choose? I'm using an 18x18x36 repti-breeze cage and I want to lay the fixture across diagonally allowing the light to reach as much of the cage as possible....

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks - KJ

Yes Fixtures or Housings make a difference. Some Ballasts bigger companies use are crap.

go with LYR double fixture, and get a 6500k bulb plus a 6% Arcadia, you will not be dissapointed!

Yes Fixtures or Housings make a difference. Some Ballasts bigger companies use are crap.

go with LYR double fixture, and get a 6500k bulb plus a 6% Arcadia, you will not be dissapointed!

Is LYR the brand? I think I'm looking for just a single unit as my cage is surrounded by windows and the live plants I have are already growing too quickly..

Is there any benefit a 6500k bulb would have for the cham?

Is LYR the brand? I think I'm looking for just a single unit as my cage is surrounded by windows and the live plants I have are already growing too quickly..

Is there any benefit a 6500k bulb would have for the cham?

No LYR is (Light Your Reptiles) a forums sponsor sells light fixtures. 6500k bulbs just add to the spectrum and provide added light for your enclosure. They are mainly for the benefit of your Plants and not your Cham. UVB are what is needed for your Chams.

Kevin,

Kyle is talking about the same light I was suggesting you get. As he said, some companies use weaker ballasts so that is why we recommend getting a quality fixture like one from Light Your Reptiles.

As for actual lighting. Does your chameleon need 6.5k bulb to survive, no. But, it is our goal to provide a lighting environment which closely resembles natural sunlight as that is the basis of all life. Not only will the double fixture provide a lighting spectrum closer to that of the sun but also the visual aspect of the cage and everything in it looks 100 times better with the dual fixture.

I will post two pictures I took showing the comparison between a single T8 and the dual T5 fixture in a second.

Single T8 Lighting.jpg
Single T8 Fixture Example

Dual HO T5 Lighting.jpg
Double T5 Fixture Example

hmm

Nick,

yeah, there really is a considerable difference there. I have had my local shop order a single t-5 fixture, but I'm not obligated to buy it as they were all out of stock anyhow.

PM me prices for the double fixtures you have, maybe I will consider!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom