Need to know if she's gravid...

RLover09

this is Jessie one of my females we've been trying to breed. Today marks a month since her and my male Jimmy have mated. She's showing signs of being gravid but I don't really see or feel anything in her tummy. Her appetite has doubled, and she doesn't like being handled (normaly she like to be held and take outside) Right now she's dark colors but not all the time. I was hoping someone could tell me if she looks it. Also was wondering if it could take longer since this is her first time ever having eggs? Praying someone can help me out, I am one worried Momma right now...

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

Her belly does look lumpy. Sometimes you can feel the eggs if she will let you rub her tummy....other times the eggs are soft inside her and harder to feel.

They don't have a set in stone schedual . The avrage time to lay is a month ..but maybe a little longer or a little shorter.

There are times where females will absorb their eggs and not lay. I am not sure what causes that and I am not sure if that is only for infertile eggs.

Hangin out with some of the breeders in my area I've seen plenty of gravid females in the last few months and I'd say yea.. She is gravid... Feel around her sides GENTLY And you should be able to feel little lumps

Has her diet or activity patterns changed?

Her diet as doubled, and she's more restless lately... For a good week she would be up till about midnight just crawling all around her cage... normaly she's asleep by 9... Normaly she likes to be held but the past week or so she really doesn't wanna be touched...

Hangin out with some of the breeders in my area I've seen plenty of gravid females in the last few months and I'd say yea.. She is gravid... Feel around her sides GENTLY And you should be able to feel little lumps

I've tried feeling her belly but I really don't feel anything... Her belly feels kinda harder but not like "marbles" She is getting bigger, and when she sits just right I can see something toward the back of her legs that looks like an egg...

she looks like my girl before today (mine just layed her unfertie batch)..just get a small bag of soil, and a bag of "playsand" from homedepot, or lowes..i use a five gallon bucket (ive heard darker colors are best, mine is white..i would say stay away from the orange ones)..fill it so that you have around 12-14 inches of sand..(i fill it so the cham cant reach the top but its as deep as possible) water it and stir it up, and put a small amount of sand over the top, smooth it out, then shove a 3 inch diameter round stick into the middle at an agle about 3 inches down (like a starter hole to kinda show them what its for)and leave them unattended, and do not check on them as they will abandon the efforts and possible eggbing from it....if you tape up white paper sheets around the top, to make it taller (so she cant see you ) and you put a small micro pin hole in the side (low enough so you can sneak up to the bin, and look throught the saftypin sized hole to lurk and see whats goin on..however DO NOT LET HER SEE YOU!!..if you make a hole too big, she will just stare at it waiting for movement..or if the top of your head is visible to her, she will give up!!

good luck!

heres a vid of mine from today..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbyMR535nFU

THANK YOU! That helped alot! I was actually watching your videos not to long ago on cricket breeding... :)

haha nice!!..yeah for some reason i just started thinking..hmmm there should be more informational vids that just suggest rather than say THIS IS THE WAY..i always learn better from visual..totally glad that it actually helps, and that you were watching the crix one i did!! hell yeah! :D

haha nice!!..yeah for some reason i just started thinking..hmmm there should be more informational vids that just suggest rather than say THIS IS THE WAY..i always learn better from visual..totally glad that it actually helps, and that you were watching the crix one i did!! hell yeah! :D

I am right there with you I learn better from visual... I did help thank you again... I am going to set it up in the morning and see how it goes... :D I actually watched all your videos... Very nice I might add... I love how you have your 2 living free ranged together... I would love to do something like that...

I am right there with you I learn better from visual... I did help thank you again... I am going to set it up in the morning and see how it goes... :D I actually watched all your videos... Very nice I might add... I love how you have your 2 living free ranged together... I would love to do something like that...

thanks..yes i have them housed together (i say housed because my whole hobby room should be theirs to be a "real" free range in my mind)..as for the range it self..since she will be looking to mate soon ( a few months) and my male will have reached 8 months old by then, he will be ready as well (he is mild mannered but all chams will resort to aggression in some kind of way to place themselfs as we do in society..in some sort of level ) so i do plan to have two more basking zones , and more hide cover for them (im just waiting to find a lower wattage powersun uvb\uva bulb or maybe try the smaller wattage metal hilide(hydroponic indoor growing lamps, but at a waaaaay smaller output than say"if you know indoor" a hortilux bulb) so eye problems should not exist..but im scared, in my 17 years of chams, ive never tried anything i didnt know already worked from someone saying(and seeing for myself) this really does work good!!..if you ever try free rangers..i say give it a few years..get used to how "they" are..i can practically read their body language (still have no f-n clue what they are saying, but im sure i know alot more than the total beginner, lol)..well g-luck!!!:D

So I've tried putting her in the bucket, and all it did was piss her off... The first day all she did was circle the bucket, she didn't want anything to do with any of it... The second day she just laid on the ground for hours... I am scared I am stressing her out too much... But I am really worried, she hasn't even tried digging... Is there anything else I could maybe try?

Back
Top Bottom