Need help with tortoise

ChamomilleCame

Avid Member
Hi everyone. This summer, my lil sis assigned me to take care of her yellow footed tortoise. I don't know anything about tortoises, but did knock some sense into her when I saw the poor thing in a 20gal tank. He's a bit older than 3 (she got it 3 years ago from the petshop) and he doesn't look like he's been growing much (he has grown, it's just taken him forever to grow out of his half log). She doesn't even know if it's a male or female, so I'm just going to use he for now.
He's currently in an outside enclosure. Half of the enclosure is under a tree for some shade. However, it concerns me because 1) there is no grass in that patio, it's just (white) tile and 2) it's been reaching 95 degrees in the hottest peak of the day in the city. It seems really really hot, and he's always hiding under the half log.
He has his "bathtub" and a water cup.
Another thing that concerns me is the food. He eats well, but I don't know if what he's eating is sufficient. He eats leafy greens and fruits (strawberries, bananas, raspberries, whatever is in the fridge). I do try not to feed so much fruit, but besides this I have no clue what else to feed him.
Does the tortoise need supplements? I feel like he should be getting some calcium, he looks a bit weak to me, I can't quite put my finger on it.
I'll post a picture of what the tortoise looks like when I'm back home. I'd love to hear suggestions to care for this tortoise better! My sister doesn't look up any information on yellow foots and it really gets to me...

I'd really recommend going here for any tortoise info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/

Also there's this: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Tur...d-Caring-for-Red-and-Yellow-Footed-Tortoises/

That said, it does sound like he's baking where he is. White might reflect some heat, but it would be better if you could get him set up somewhere where there is grass or dirt or something other than bare tile. If they're anything like Redfoots, they're humidity lovers and that kind of set up could be dehydrating him.

I'd really recommend going here for any tortoise info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/

Also there's this: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Tur...d-Caring-for-Red-and-Yellow-Footed-Tortoises/

That said, it does sound like he's baking where he is. White might reflect some heat, but it would be better if you could get him set up somewhere where there is grass or dirt or something other than bare tile. If they're anything like Redfoots, they're humidity lovers and that kind of set up could be dehydrating him.

Ugh... I really hate that my sister is still keeping the poor thing in that stupid enclosure. There's no grass in the house :( I really want to just give it away, she doesn't know how to take care of it and I'm leaving PR in less than two months. Hopefully my parents help with this because I can't be spending my money on this animal.
Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it. Let's see what I can do. Gotta prep myself for some lecturing in those forums, lol

Ugh... I really hate that my sister is still keeping the poor thing in that stupid enclosure. There's no grass in the house :( I really want to just give it away, she doesn't know how to take care of it and I'm leaving PR in less than two months. Hopefully my parents help with this because I can't be spending my money on this animal.
Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it. Let's see what I can do. Gotta prep myself for some lecturing in those forums, lol

The good part is that I think a Yellowfoot would take great to outside living in PR if a secure outdoor pen was constructed. Then she wouldn't have to worry about lighting or heat like inside.

I think if you explain that it sort of fell into your care that they'll be understanding, lol. I hope they can help you out though.

Some other diet items you could try.. Yellow squash, zucchini, apples, carrots, sweet potatos, I usually shred or dice aforementioned items. Protein could be soaked dogfood & soaked dog biscuits.

Back
Top Bottom