Need a little help.

Sherbertsmysunshine

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, its eighty degrees today, and I decided to take Sherbert out to get some sun. I set up a little place with some fakebushes and all the goods. (He has seen it a few times.) But he got really freaked out and super mad, he bit me and jumped off the bush, it was maybe a foot fall. He's back in his enclosure and really mad at me. Do any of y'all have some advice on getting him used to his outdoor free range?

I personally would not outdoor free range any chameleon... Too many things can go wrong. We even had another member that lost their cham to a hawk that flew down and took it. You want to set up an outdoor cage so that they are protected from predators and harming themselves if they get spooked by something. Don't be surprised if he is pissy for the next few days.

I personally would not outdoor free range any chameleon... Too many things can go wrong. We even had another member that lost their cham to a hawk that flew down and took it. You want to set up an outdoor cage so that they are protected from predators and harming themselves if they get spooked by something. Don't be surprised if he is pissy for the next few days.
I built a sealed off area for him, so nothing can get him, we are close to a busy road so vibrations of big trucks could have scared him 🤷‍♀️ I'll leave him alone for a few days.

I had a Jackson’s get off the little tree I had him on when I wasn’t looking and he got half way across the yard heading for the woods when I noticed he was gone! Really scary, and like Beman said a hawk or any big bird could pick them up and there would be nothing you could do. Recently someone on this forum lost a Cham due to it getting on the ground and dogs attacked it and it died. It’s just too dangerous.

I built a sealed off area for him, so nothing can get him, we are close to a busy road so vibrations of big trucks could have scared him 🤷‍♀️ I'll leave him alone for a few days.
I dunno... They all react very differently. When I lived in Cali I had my outdoor cage situated in what I thought was the perfect place. But the top half Beman could see over our privacy fence. Every time a car would pass by he would spook and practically fall of the branches trying to get low. I had to move the cage so that it had no view at all of the road.

I had a Jackson’s get off the little tree I had him on when I wasn’t looking and he got half way across the yard heading for the woods when I noticed he was gone! Really scary, and like Beman said a hawk or any big bird could pick them up and there would be nothing you could do. Recently someone on this forum lost a Cham due to it getting on the ground and dogs attacked it and it died. It’s just too dangerous.

I saw that thread, it's scary how fast something can get them, that's why I made a closed in area, so he could be safe and get some real sun.

thank y'all for your help. I'll stick with the window free range for him, but he is not in the mood any time soon. I'm working on getting him a free range like Andrew1283 has, so he can crawl all around the room, he likes his three trees I have inside, so that's good.

I saw that thread, it's scary how fast something can get them, that's why I made a closed in area, so he could be safe and get some real sun.

thank y'all for your help. I'll stick with the window free range for him, but he is not in the mood any time soon. I'm working on getting him a free range like Andrew1283 has, so he can crawl all around the room, he likes his three trees I have inside, so that's good.
You will want to reinforce that your hands mean good things. Give him a day or so to settle but then start hand feeding again to get him comfortable. Especially with him biting you which was a fear response.

Back
Top Bottom