Need help, what a day

garrettcc

well, I’ve been preparing to get a chameleon for a month now getting the proper set up and ready what not and went to repticon to get a few finishing touches. To start, I’m a sucker for an animal needing help. So we walked around and I saw a beautiful panther chameleon that clearly was in a cage not suited for him and was keeping his eyes closed. Clearly he wasn’t 100%. So me being me I talked to the guy selling him who was asking 800 for and I talked him down to 200 so I could try and save this little guy. So I need some advice from you all. He is keeping his left guy closed and not really opening it at all. What can I do to help make him healthy and live his life to the best?

Being a new keeper I wouldnt recommend getting one that isn't healthy. I would recommend getting one from a breeder and not from a pet store. I learned that the hard way :/

Being a new keeper I wouldnt recommend getting one that isn't healthy. I would recommend getting one from a breeder and not from a pet store. I learned that the hard way :/
Well I’ve sprayed his cage down a few times and is already more active and opening his eye more. I honestly believe he was dehydrated

Well I’ve sprayed his cage down a few times and is already more active and opening his eye more. I honestly believe he was dehydrated
Do his eyes appear sunken at all? Whats its overall behavior? Maybe some pix would help & to fill out the guide for asking for help~ I hope the little one is okay!!

So although it is not the ideal situation I will say that it can work out if you are willing to do your homework and know what is needed. (I already see you doing research and finding answers so I don't see this as an issue for you ;))

Here are some links that can help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

I would suggest a few long misting sessions to help with hydration and getting any debris out of that eye if there is any. Also, especially since he isn't in ideal shape as stated, make sure you find a reputable chameleon vet near you in case things get worse instead of better. Be aware that even though it may appear that he is doing better that chameleons are very good at hiding their health issues and being a new keeper it can be even more challenging to see the warning signs.

If you can, could you post a few pictures of him so we can see how he looks?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon Panther chameleon
  • Handling Long enough to put him in his new home.
  • Feeding Haven’t attempted food yet, waiting for him to get use to his paradise. Has been drinking off the leaves and looks like he is wanting to eat the leaves.
  • Supplements None yet, have multivitams, then calcium with and without d3
  • Watering been misting it regularly to get ready for a panther and he has been drinking it up like crazy. I believe he was dehydrated.
  • Fecal Description Have not seen him poop yet.
  • History Got him from Repticon, wasn’t in the right environment, had his eyes shut. Since we’ve been home he has been drinking a lot and has one eye always open and the other pretty much starting to stay open.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type Screen ZooMed Reptibreeze enclosure 18x18x36
  • Lighting have a 60 watt bulb and a uvb bulb. Also a single unit uvb which is lateral.
  • Temperature temp at top is around 85 bottom around 70
  • Humidity 50 or so then up to 70
  • Plants umbrella plant which is the main structure then some snall ones at the bottom.
  • Placement It’s located in the living room where we spend most of the time. Debating moving him to a more secluded area.
  • Location North Carolina

So although it is not the ideal situation I will say that it can work out if you are willing to do your homework and know what is needed. (I already see you doing research and finding answers so I don't see this as an issue for you ;))

Here are some links that can help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

I would suggest a few long misting sessions to help with hydration and getting any debris out of that eye if there is any. Also, especially since he isn't in ideal shape as stated, make sure you find a reputable chameleon vet near you in case things get worse instead of better. Be aware that even though it may appear that he is doing better that chameleons are very good at hiding their health issues and being a new keeper it can be even more challenging to see the warning signs.

If you can, could you post a few pictures of him so we can see how he looks?
I’ve been doing s ton of research, also found a local exotic vet I plan to give a call tomorrow. He is SO much better now that he is getting hydrated. I’ll try to snap a few pics of him.

I usually advise that you print out the care sheet and bring it with you to the vet. If they are not fully familiar with chameleons it can be useful to have.
I spoke with this vet today at Repticon and spoke with the doctor who does all of the chameleon work and seemed knowledgeable but for sure will take all info I can with me!

Back
Top Bottom