Need help sexing this young Nosy Be panther chameleon :)

Syreptyon

Chameleon Enthusiast
TL;DR -- please help me determine the sex of this little one!

Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a panther chameleon. I've previously kept a veiled chameleon (was active on the forums probably some 7 years ago or so) and now feel ready to care for a panther. My local shop has a juvenile Nosy Be, which is already displaying some really nice blues for its size, but I'm not certain whether it's male or female! If it's male, I'm gonna snatch it up, but I have little experiencing sexing panther chams. The attached pictures were taken in the reptile shop and I just got lucky that the cham was close to the front and in plain view. I'll try to go visit again and see if I can get more pics if you all think that will help.

All input welcome! Thanks a bunch! I'm excited to be back in the great world of chameleons.

Attachments

• IMG_7935.JPG
    IMG_7935.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7933.JPG
    IMG_7933.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7934.JPG
    IMG_7934.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_7936.JPG
    IMG_7936.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 167
Anyone (pretty please)? I just got back from the shop. Couple more pics added here. I'd have tried to get more variety in angles, but only so much one can do in the store!

IMG_7960.JPG
IMG_7960.JPG IMG_7960.JPG IMG_7953.JPG IMG_7955.JPG IMG_7952.JPG

Looks male to me. Where are you getting him from? Do the Breeders not know the sex?

I was thinking male as well. It's available at my local reptile shop, who get their chameleons from local breeders I believe. They don't breed the chameleons themselves and they told me they can't guarantee sex at this age -- hence why I decided to come to the online experts!

Looks male, but it is hard to tell upside down.

I have a feeling you mean it's easier to tell when the chameleon is physically positioned upright, but I rotated a couple of the pics in case the perspective change is helpful

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b8.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 105
  • fullsizeoutput_f3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f3.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 108
I have a feeling you mean it's easier to tell when the chameleon is physically positioned upright, but I rotated a couple of the pics in case the perspective change is helpful
That is helpful. Ask the store if you can hold the chameleon so we can get a close up, with limited glare on the lighting from the bulb that he/she is underneath.

Hmmm. This one has me on the fence a little, but still leaning towards male. Some are cut and dry and are easily sexed and some are not.

Back
Top Bottom