Need help deciding on DIY enclosure length.

Which length of enclosure should I build?

• 4’ long

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 5’ long

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
I would go 4 feet. I think two four-foot enclosures are better than one big enclosure! Optimization over maximization in my opinion. So either you have a total of one five-foot enclosure or a total of two four-foot enclosures totaling 8 feet! 8 feet of cham enclosures sounds glorious. I don't think any cham will be mad at you for reducing down 1 foot in a cage that big anyways.

Hi if you did go 5foot would it really matter if the lights where 4 foot if the lights are lifted up there wouldn't be many places that where not covered by uvb (obviously it would not be symmetrical) thats the only thing

I just want everything to be perfect! I’m not trying to be popular or anything, I just love chams and want to give them the best life possible!
Understood. I also understand how social media can cause feelings of inadequacy in some people; they feel they need or want to do more, and can get carried away. Nothing wrong with that if they can afford it (in more ways than economically). There's also nothing wrong with taking a pause for introspection, and examining one's true needs, wants, and motives. I have to do it often myself, as I'm sure many others do as well.
And why go with the minimum requirements? The correct answer for a cage size is as big as you can get, not a minimum! Multple people on here have enclosures bigger than the recommended minimum (4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall), whether it be inside, outside, or both, as well!
I never suggested going with the minimum; I said most folks seem to be ok with it. There was also a lot more in that paragraph. I have a double-wide (48") myself, and my beardie box is also larger than recommended. I thought we were talking about 48" vs. 60"w. I also offered another POV on enclosure size from Anapsid.org. I ALSO said previously that if you've decided on 5', then "go for it!"

Also, I’ve had two chams before at the same time, and it was actually easier for me to care for both of them at the same time than caring for just one. And I have the ability to care for more than just two chams, as well, like you and I have both said, I’ve been planning this for over four years (when I did have both chams), which means I know, “realistically”, how many chams I can keep and want! I’m just trying to decide between one cham and my max biggest cage or two chams in smaller cages.
That's why I'm surprised you haven't been able to decide on that in four years.

I do not need help or questions with my enclosure plans unless it is actually helpful, as well as especially not needing to be called someone who only wants multiple chams to fit in! Neither are needed or even wanted! And the last one is definitely not true, it’s just an attack to my character! From now on, I’d appreciate if you just voted and left this thread!
I have no idea where any of that is coming from, except not reading what I've actually said, or mischaracterizing it. I've offered facts and perspectives I thought might help you decide, and other POV from experts. I have no stake in whether you keep 2 chameleons or 200, anymore than I do whether you keep 2 in 2 five-foot enclosures, or 10 in 5 two foot enclosures.

I don't see any point in voting, because this decision is entirely up to you, and basing it—even only in part—on a VOTE of others is exactly what I said above—being swayed by social media rather than being mature enough to examine your own facts, experiences, best information, & conclusions, and reach your own decision. You've had FOUR YEARS, and frankly, you could take another four. If we were talking about a relationship—something far more long-term than keeping pets—the term "fear of commitment" would likely come up. I'm getting the feeling that whichever you decide, you'll have second thoughts about later... But you'll be able to blame it on the influence of a poll.

I also understand how social media can cause feelings of inadequacy in some people; they feel they need or want to do more, and can get carried away.

being swayed by social media rather than being mature enough to examine your own facts, experiences, best information, & conclusions, and reach your own decision. You've had FOUR YEARS, and frankly, you could take another four. If we were talking about a relationship—something far more long-term than keeping pets—the term "fear of commitment" would likely come up. I'm getting the feeling that whichever you decide, you'll have second thoughts about later... But you'll be able to blame it on the influence of a poll.

This was totally uncalled for and rude!!! Who do you think you are speaking to someone like this and putting them down in this way? This is exactly your problem. Your older and think you have all the answers. You treat others like they are less than you. This is why people here are getting annoyed with you commenting. Because you belittle and diminish others. NOT OK>

You do not know the OP... You do not know who she is or how she is with her animals. And you should know better then to bring up the emotional standing of another human being. Your supposed to know better because of your age and "maturity". I am so deeply disgusted that you would think this is ok....

Why don't you just leave her thread. The OP said they did not want your feedback.

Understood. I also understand how social media can cause feelings of inadequacy in some people; they feel they need or want to do more, and can get carried away. Nothing wrong with that if they can afford it (in more ways than economically). There's also nothing wrong with taking a pause for introspection, and examining one's true needs, wants, and motives. I have to do it often myself, as I'm sure many others do as well.

I never suggested going with the minimum; I said most folks seem to be ok with it. There was also a lot more in that paragraph. I have a double-wide (48") myself, and my beardie box is also larger than recommended. I thought we were talking about 48" vs. 60"w. I also offered another POV on enclosure size from Anapsid.org. I ALSO said previously that if you've decided on 5', then "go for it!"

I have no idea where any of that is coming from, except not reading what I've actually said, or mischaracterizing it. I've offered facts and perspectives I thought might help you decide, and other POV from experts. I have no stake in whether you keep 2 chameleons or 200, anymore than I do whether you keep 2 in 2 five-foot enclosures, or 10 in 5 two foot enclosures.

I don't see any point in voting, because this decision is entirely up to you, and basing it—even only in part—on a VOTE of others is exactly what I said above—being swayed by social media rather than being mature enough to examine your own facts, experiences, best information, & conclusions, and reach your own decision. You've had FOUR YEARS, and frankly, you could take another four. If we were talking about a relationship—something far more long-term than keeping pets—the term "fear of commitment" would likely come up. I'm getting the feeling that whichever you decide, you'll have second thoughts about later... But you'll be able to blame it on the influence of a poll.
Do you get off coming off as a jerk?

I AM NOT DOING THIS FOR SOCIAL MEDIA, BUT FOR ME!!! SAYING THAT IS AN ATTACK ON MY CHARACTER, WHEN YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW ME!!! IT ISN’T TRUE AND IS JUST HURTFUL!!!
Most folks seem to be content with 2x2 enclosures. 4' are becoming more common/popular, but AFAIK, no-one even makes a 5' aside from custom. Even the guidelines I like, which are the most liberal I've seen, top out at 4'.
You implyed in here that going past 4’ is too much!
That’s because at the time, like I’ve said, I had two chams, so I couldn’t go 5’ like I wanted! Now I have the choice since both passed away last year, and I am just now getting past mourning them enough to move on!

It’s coming from how you were basically talking down to me like a little toddler on your second post in this thread, speaking to me about how I didn’t know the actual costs, and how it wouldn’t be an advantage to go as big as 5’ (hellos extra space!)! Like I’ve said, I been researching this for years and have done extensive research and budgeting and more! I AM NOT GETTING VOTES TO BE SWAYED, BUT TO GET MORE INFO FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE CAGES THAT BIG! YOU DON’T HAVE TO HAVE THE LAST WORD EVERY TIME, AND YOU DON’T EVEN OWN A CHAMELEON!!! Please just leave this thread!

I’ve decided to go for two 5’ enclosures, even though the mister, fogger, timers, etc. will have to go in front of the enclosures, and I might have to take out some built-in bookcases and other rearranging/demoing!
Question can you not put your kit below . Or do you mean tubes and pipes. Lol I'm going to have to rip out a fireplace to fit my 4ft in and it's not my house 😅

I AM NOT DOING THIS FOR SOCIAL MEDIA, BUT FOR ME!!! SAYING THAT IS AN ATTACK ON MY CHARACTER, WHEN YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW ME!!! IT ISN’T TRUE AND IS JUST HURTFUL!!!
I never said you were; this is a mischaracterization. I said, "some people". If you're sure that this (or any other) forum hasn't had any undue influence, and that there hasn't been any undue peer pressure, then that's good. At least you asked yourself the question; kudos—not everyone does.
effects of social media on decision-making

There is no hurtful intent—and definitely no attack on your character. Why would there be? :confused:
It doesn't make any sense.

You implyed in here that going past 4’ is too much!
No I did not, and I specifically said so TWICE: "if you've decided on 5', then 'go for it!'"
I did make some observations about 5' vs. 4', which you said you were aware of and had considered, yet you still haven't made up your mind.

Then you also said, "The advantage, like I’ve said, is that it will be as big of an enclosure as I can"
That sounded to me like a decision. Should I have said, "You implied 5' as a decision?" No. I inferred that as a decision, like you've inferred many things here that I have not said nor meant.

It’s coming from how you were basically talking down to me like a little toddler on your second post in this thread, speaking to me about how I didn’t know the actual costs, and how it wouldn’t be an advantage to go as big as 5’ (hellos extra space!)!
No, I was comparing differences. I'm sorry you took things the wrong way, and so personally, but I write (as Beman has noted people should) with the expectation that others may read this—now or in the future—and may not have considered these factors.

I can't even count the number of people who have come to this forum telling us how much research they've done, only to find out either that they haven't really—or it's been very poor or misguided research. NOW BEFORE YOU INFER I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU, I am not. You & Beman have both said I don't know you. If I don't, then how am I to discern what you do and/or don't know? How do I know you're not one of the many described above? AGAIN, I'M NOT SAYING YOU ARE, but if I don't know what you (or anyone) do(es) or do(es)n't know, it can be a quandary how to proceed.

None of us are perfect, and while your stated goal is, "I just want everything to be perfect!" I fear you may have to settle for, "as close to perfect as possible."

If I had assumed (I try very hard not to) that you knew all the points I brought up, would I be accused of talking down to you because you didn't know—or hadn't thought of some of those points? Because I've been accused of that too.

I AM NOT GETTING VOTES TO BE SWAYED, BUT TO GET MORE INFO FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE CAGES THAT BIG!
That wasn't clear in your "Poll" or in your first posts. Thank you for clarifying.

By "that big" do you mean 4 or 5 ft. because I have both, so here it is:

In the one (5 ft.) case, I was swayed by economics, waste, available space, and other factors. I didn't go into the 8' option I had, because I realized fairly quickly that it wasn't really in line with my original goals & intent. It took some introspection on my part to come to that realization.

In the other case, like yourself, free-range wasn't a realistic option for my limitations. I also realized halfway through the process that going larger than 4 ft. also wasn't a realistic option for my limitations, so I went with 4 ft. That also took some introspection. Reality checks, if you will.

YOU DON’T EVEN OWN A CHAMELEON!!!
Ah... still beating that dead horse. :( It's not only irrelevant (I do my research too—that's why I signed up here), it's also not true—hasn't been for some time now. I guess you don't know me either. Peace.

I’ve decided to go for two 5’ enclosures, even though the mister, fogger, timers, etc. will have to go in front of the enclosures, and I might have to take out some built-in bookcases and other rearranging/demoing!
I'm very glad you've reached a decision. Demolition may be unavoidable, but given some thought, I think that cinder block could be gotten around.

Any chance of putting that stuff on top with a hidden access door? The lighting will likely be there anyway.

I’m not going to argue with you anymore! We’ve each said our piece, and I’ve asked you to leave multiple times and am asking again!
Ah... still beating that dead horse. :( It's not only irrelevant (I do my research too—that's why I signed up here), it's also not true—hasn't been for some time now.
If you own a chameleon, how come you avoid and ignore posting pics or answering questions of us asking you to show him/her? And it is relevant, because hands-on experience changes things vs just book knowledge! I DON‘T WANT YOU ON THIS THREAD ANYMORE! Trying to get the last word in so you feel you are right is pitiful!
I'm very glad you've reached a decision. Demolition may be unavoidable, but given some thought, I think that cinder block could be gotten around.

Any chance of putting that stuff on top with a hidden access door? The lighting will likely be there anyway.
No, there isn’t enough room and the access door reduces airflow. ALSO, I DON’T CARE OR NEED YOUR FEEDBACK, AND AGAIN, PLEASE LEAVE!

Everyone settle down.

@ERKleRose you can't control who responds to a post that is public in the world of the internet. You are taking things very personally when I do not believe that was the intended effect in this case. If you ask a public forum for feedback you will get feedback from a variety of perspectives, some of which will align with your intentions, and some of which won't. Simply ignore the ones that do not and move forward. There really is no need to get this upset from what was said with the intention of providing a different perspective to your questions.

Any further off topic posts will be deleted or the thread will be locked if it continues to derail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom