Need help deciding on DIY enclosure length.

Which length of enclosure should I build?

• 4’ long

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 5’ long

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
5' also doesn't divide evenly into U.S. lumber sizes; not that that's a killing thing, but it's a factor.
When I built my beardie enclosure, I had to ask myself the same question, but that's a solid enclosure, and baltic birch comes in 5' x 5' sheets. When pricing it out, it actually made more economic (and less waste) sense to build it 5' long.

I don't see the same advantage in building a chameleon enclosure that size—entirely different construction.

5' will also require 25% more plant lighting, & 25% more misting (distilled or RO water expense).
I think I read someplace you've got a 12' wall(?) That will fit three 4 ft enclosures or two 5 ft. enclosures.

What's the advantage in your view?

5' also doesn't divide evenly into U.S. lumber sizes; not that that's a killing thing, but it's a factor.
When I built my beardie enclosure, I had to ask myself the same question, but that's a solid enclosure, and baltic birch comes in 5' x 5' sheets. When pricing it out, it actually made more economic (and less waste) sense to build it 5' long.

I don't see the same advantage in building a chameleon enclosure that size—entirely different construction.

5' will also require 25% more plant lighting, & 25% more misting (distilled or RO water expense).
I think I read someplace you've got a 12' wall(?) That will fit three 4 ft enclosures or two 5 ft. enclosures.

What's the advantage in your view?
I know the costs of doing 5’ and am perfectly fine with it (I’ve had over 4 years to plan this exact enclosure and have done tons of research and budgeting). Again, the interior chameleon-usable space is 5’ or 4’, it is not the actual length of the enclosure! I also need room for the timers, misting system, etc. between the two enclosures if I go 4’; also, I never said I could use all 12’ of the wall, just that I had 12’ of wall. The advantage, like I’ve said, is that it will be as big of an enclosure as I can, because I can‘t do free range or enough outside time.

If you can build a 5 ft, then of course go for it! Panthers especially love the space. I wouldn't worry about lighting, a 4ft hood overlapped with basking will be fine. We supplement with d3 anyway and the uvb fans out IME(should see how far my readings go under my free range).
Thanks, that’s what I was thinking! It’s just me wanting two cages so I can have more chams!

No one that I know of , I have 2 48 inch but I think that would be OK if they had a little bit of vary on each side or maybe even put the light on one side and let them have the side when they take their break from UVB be on the other
I was pondering that as well! So many options!

Also my enclosures outside are 5 x 5 so when I have lots of rescues at once I can slide a divider and still have 2 1/2‘ x 5 cages but twice as many.

I know the costs of doing 5’ and am perfectly fine with it (I’ve had over 4 years to plan this exact enclosure and have done tons of research and budgeting). Again, the interior chameleon-usable space is 5’ or 4’, it is not the actual length of the enclosure! I also need room for the timers, misting system, etc. between the two enclosures if I go 4’; also, I never said I could use all 12’ of the wall, just that I had 12’ of wall. The advantage, like I’ve said, is that it will be as big of an enclosure as I can, because I can‘t do free range or enough outside time.
:confused: Then I don't understand the reason for this thread. :unsure:
It sounds like you've already decided on 5', so go for it! :)

:confused: Then I don't understand the reason for this thread. :unsure:
It sounds like you've already decided on 5', so go for it! :)
No, I haven’t decided. I am still deciding between two smaller enclosures so I can have two chams or one larger enclosure to better the life of one cham. If I could do two 5’ enclosures, I would in a heartbeat!

No, I haven’t decided. I am still deciding between two smaller enclosures so I can have two chams or one larger enclosure to better the life of one cham. If I could do two 5’ enclosures, I would in a heartbeat!
In 4 years of research & planning? :eek: And I thought I overthought & overplanned stuff! :LOL:

Most folks seem to be content with 2x2 enclosures. 4' are becoming more common/popular, but AFAIK, no-one even makes a 5' aside from custom. Even the guidelines I like, which are the most liberal I've seen, top out at 4'.

I think the first thing you're going to have to decide is how many chams you realistically want or need to keep. I know many folks here have multiples, but I've never wanted more than one; I have no need to keep up with the Joneses, and I've never been one of the cool kids.

In 4 years of research & planning? :eek: And I thought I overthought & overplanned stuff! :LOL:

Most folks seem to be content with 2x2 enclosures. 4' are becoming more common/popular, but AFAIK, no-one even makes a 5' aside from custom. Even the guidelines I like, which are the most liberal I've seen, top out at 4'.

I think the first thing you're going to have to decide is how many chams you realistically want or need to keep. I know many folks here have multiples, but I've never wanted more than one; I have no need to keep up with the Joneses, and I've never been one of the cool kids.
I just want everything to be perfect! I’m not trying to be popular or anything, I just love chams and want to give them the best life possible! And why go with the minimum requirements? The correct answer for a cage size is as big as you can get, not a minimum! Multple people on here have enclosures bigger than the recommended minimum (4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall), whether it be inside, outside, or both, as well! Also, I’ve had two chams before at the same time, and it was actually easier for me to care for both of them at the same time than caring for just one. And I have the ability to care for more than just two chams, as well, like you and I have both said, I’ve been planning this for over four years (when I did have both chams), which means I know, “realistically”, how many chams I can keep and want! I’m just trying to decide between one cham and my max biggest cage or two chams in smaller cages. I do not need help or questions with my enclosure plans unless it is actually helpful, as well as especially not needing to be called someone who only wants multiple chams to fit in! Neither are needed or even wanted! And the last one is definitely not true, it’s just an attack to my character! From now on, I’d appreciate if you just voted and left this thread!

I just want everything to be perfect! I’m not trying to be popular or anything, I just love chams and want to give them the best life possible! And why go with the minimum requirements? The correct answer for a cage size is as big as you can get, not a minimum! Multple people on here have enclosures bigger than the recommended minimum (4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall), whether it be inside, outside, or both, as well! Also, I’ve had two chams before at the same time, and it was actually easier for me to care for both of them at the same time than caring for just one. And I have the ability to care for more than just two chams, as well, like you and I have both said, I’ve been planning this for over four years (when I did have both chams), which means I know, “realistically”, how many chams I can keep and want! I’m just trying to decide between one cham and my max biggest cage or two chams in smaller cages. I do not need help or questions with my enclosure plans unless it is actually helpful, as well as especially not needing to be called someone who only wants multiple chams to fit in! Neither are needed or even wanted! And the last one is definitely not true, it’s just an attack to my character! From now on, I’d appreciate if you just voted and left this thread!

Good point on the minimum, I really think Panthers are given undersized enclosures. Most are very active and at times even my large atrium DS seemed too small for one. On the other hand, my Parsons spends half the year going between 2 feet of space when hes given a room to free range lol.

Good point on the minimum, I really think Panthers are given undersized enclosures. Most are very active and at times even my large atrium DS seemed too small for one. On the other hand, my Parsons spends half the year going between 2 feet of space when hes given a room to free range lol.
My willsii don’t move around much as well. They have a sleeping spot, basking and poop spot and those are the three places I look when I’m trying to find them lol but the panther moves everywhere, going to to bottom a lot now looking for a mate. Realistically I’m sure we all would love to give them one big tree to live in but that’s not possible, well where most of us live lol

My willsii don’t move around much as well. They have a sleeping spot, basking and poop spot and those are the three places I look when I’m trying to find them lol but the panther moves everywhere, going to to bottom a lot now looking for a mate. Realistically I’m sure we all would love to give them one big tree to live in but that’s not possible, well where most of us live lol

Yup that sounds like my parsons. Every single day he goes to a spot in the middle of the tree near the wall, then climbs up high to sleep. Poops in the shower lol. During summer he's a little more adventurous, but even then he has his usually routes outside.

Back
Top Bottom