need advice with my 8 1/2 male panther

Anniel

Hey guys so Mo, my 8 1/2 month old panther, has been doing good these last few months. These last few days he just sits there with his mouth half way open with the tip of his tongue sticking out slightly off and on through out the day. I thought he was hissing at me(starting his teenage attitude thing) but then I noticed him doing it laying on his branch ready for bed. I think something might be wrong. The only thing that I have done different is getting a full diet of worms(horn and super). About 5 horns and 2 super's without crickets( he has still been eating without hesitation). Also I noticed that the humidity was 30% could this cause him to open his mouth.:confused::confused: Thanks for your help!!!

Chameleon Info:
My chameleon is a 8 1/2 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon. Usually handle him every few days to bring him outside to bask. Lately I have been feeding him just super worms and horn worms ( about 5 horn and 2 super a day). I am gutloading the supers with carrots and the horn worms came with their own special food( from mulberry farms). I put the repticalcium without D3 on the worms and then reptivite every other week. I use a manual mister and mist his cage at least once a day for 3 or 4 minutes(using the whole bottle). I also have a monsoon automatic mister that goes off every 2 hrs for 45 sec( I live in Nevada so it's hard to keep the humidity up). When the whole cage dries out I notice that he will drink normally but, when he is constantly getting wet he usually just catches water droplets. His fecal matter was white with a touch of orange, little bit watery. When I first got Mo he had some kind of repertory problem.
Cage info:
For his cage he has a repti-breeze 18x8x36(large). For the UVB I have a Repitsun strip light with a 5.0 bulb. His basking light is just a regular household light bulb(60 watt).At his basking spot it gets into the 80s the ambient temp is 70 degrees. At night it will get down to 75degrees at night in the summer in winter it will get down to 65 degrees. I measure this with a zoo med humidity/temperature gauge. when I mist the humidity will get up to 90% when the cage is totally dried out it will go down to 30%. I have my automatic mister to keep up these humidity levels, I also have a piece of plexy glass to keep the humidity up. I use the same gauge for temperature to get these levels. I use live plant. One big umbrella plant and a small pothos. The cage is located in my room across the room from an air vent. There is no high traffic. His cage is 2 feet from the ceiling ( it is on a vanity which I made a drainage system to drain the water into a bucket). I live in Northern Nevada.
Current problem:
He opens his mouth periodically through at the day with his tongue sticking out slightly

image.jpg
Mo's cage and set up

Mouth open

I find that my female Nosy Be has been doing the same thing. It seems to me that she does it when she needs a higher humidity level. I will mist and then put a cloth around the cage to raise the level. It seems to help. Your vent could be drying out the moisture. Just a thought.

The main things I see with your husbandry is he needs a large variety of well gut loaded feeders....just carrots is not enough. I also recommend a good dry gut load such as Cricket Crack along with collard greens, kale, endive, dandelion greens, bell pepper, carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato, apple and orange.

I also worry that you are keeping him to wet. The cage should dry out between each misting. It's possible staying to wet could cause an RI.

What is the temp of his basking spot?

I threw in some collard and mustard for the worms ( I've started growing my own little herb garden for my feeders). I will make sure that the cage dries out between mistings. the basking spot temp is 85degrees and the light is propped up off the cage so he wont burn himself.
Thanks for your help!!:D

Back
Top Bottom