Spike is gaping while basking

Keep an eye on his colors. If he is going to shed soon they will get kind of dull looking.
Yeah I think his head area might actually be getting dull already. But I was looking on my cam and didnt snap a pic because I wasn't sure. I'll check him out when I get home. Although he's in his resting area now (he goes down there about this time every day and hangs out before he goes to sleep) so it may not be easy to tell until tomorrow. I'll update though if I find anything! Thank you

Yeah I think his head area might actually be getting dull already. But I was looking on my cam and didnt snap a pic because I wasn't sure. I'll check him out when I get home. Although he's in his resting area now (he goes down there about this time every day and hangs out before he goes to sleep) so it may not be easy to tell until tomorrow. I'll update though if I find anything! Thank you
No worries. It sounds like you have his schedule and behaviors down. That’s super smart because if anything is ever off with your little guy you’ll pick up on subtle changes in his schedule and behavior.

What do I win if he starts a shed this week?

Happy Birthday Dancing GIF by Storyful

So he looks fine to me in general. Very alert. He is very light with his color right now but he always looks like this when he is in his resting area until he wakes up in the morning. I went ahead and dropped his basking light to 80f and moved the white censor away from that area. Gonna ride with the basking probe temp and use that censor elsewhere since I can't get them in the same spot really anyway.

Attachments

• 20230807_171640.jpg
    20230807_171640.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230807_171646.jpg
    20230807_171646.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 47
Good Morning :)

Slight update: Yesterday once I got home, I did not notice any gaping. Obviously at that point he was already in his resting space, so the temps are a bit lower there in general. Once his lights came on he immediately climbed up to the top as he's been doing for about a week now and he's basking (80f), and I do not see any gaping going on :) It's early, but I checked and his basking area was already at 80f before I left for work. So good signs so far. I'll give it a couple hours and hopefully nothing to report then either!

I changed his BSFL cup just in case you're wondering why that's differnet. The one I had in there was too shallow and they were escaping too easily. So far they're staying in this one but I know it'll just happen sometimes. Luckily hey have green ones of these size at my local petsmart so I'm gonna pick one up today after work because the white just sticks out so much to me. Plus I feel like he'll see the BSFL a bit better against the green cup.

1691497372853.png

Hopefully no more yawning/gaping - though I agree with those in previous posts... I'll bet you a shed is coming on. My little panther would do that too and it worried me until I started to see him go dull and then start shedding. And then... Shed explosion!

Isn't that camera so nice? There are times I hate leaving my house because I can't check on my chameleons, its just a life saver!

Isn't that camera so nice? There are times I hate leaving my house because I can't check on my chameleons, its just a life saver!
It's amazing!! I honestly might not have realized to even turn the heating lamp down if it weren't for this camera. And it's so perfect for chameleons since they don't want us all up in their space usually lol

Once I see he's really comfortable in his new home, I will start working on that slowly though. I attempted to feed him a BSFL from my finger tips a couple days ago.... he did not retreat from me and he was curious. I thought this was progress/a good sign. But he also wouldn't take it lol So I'll give it more time. I think once he shows me a nice green color on his entire body I'll try again.

So far when he shows his green it's really only around his head, and "shoulder area" going towards his belly a little bit. But he's yet to be like fully green from what I've seen. I understand that it'll take time for him to develop his colors but he was more green in some of the pics from Frams so I think he's still adjusting.

Hopefully no more yawning/gaping - though I agree with those in previous posts... I'll bet you a shed is coming on. My little panther would do that too and it worried me until I started to see him go dull and then start shedding. And then... Shed explosion!
It's been 2 hours since lights on and so far nothing :) he turns 4 months tomorrow so I think shedding soon is very likely!

Exciting!
Absolutely lol he's going towards his crickets to eat now. He's been eating his BSFL first but now he's ignoring them. I think he just doesn't like white cups. He's never eaten anything out of the darn white cups! Particular little guy lol

The difference is night and day though when I use a green cup for those BSFL. He seriously goes right for them. I'll have to pick up the green version of this cup today for sure.
1691501017669.png

Absolutely lol he's going towards his crickets to eat now. He's been eating his BSFL first but now he's ignoring them. I think he just doesn't like white cups. He's never eaten anything out of the darn white cups! Particular little guy lol

The difference is night and day though when I use a green cup for those BSFL. He seriously goes right for them. I'll have to pick up the green version of this cup today for sure.
View attachment 341543
I have the green ones myself. It’s funny how particular they get.

My panther hates the broom and mop. Anytime I bring either in to clean the room he is in he starts flaring up and gaping at them.

I have the green ones myself. It’s funny how particular they get.

My panther hates the broom and mop. Anytime I bring either in to clean the room he is in he starts flaring up and gaping at them.
Yeah I should have just grabbed that cup when I saw it lol I KNEW I was gonna need it. But w/e it's sitting there they had a bunch. And I have to go there to grab some bully slices I prepaid for my dog anyway so I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom