Natural exposure to ultraviolet-B radiation in two species of chameleons from Madagascar…

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
Two main conclusions can be drawn from this…”First throughout the day both C. brevicorne and C. nasutum expose
themselves to lower UVI levels than is available to them nearby in
full sun. Overall, they remain in areas with relatively low levels of UV
radiation. Second, both species receive broadly similar levels of UV-
B radiation and can be categorized within Ferguson Zone 1 (range
UVI 0–0.7), although the daily median UVI levels calculated for C.
nasutum were slightly higher than for C. brevicorne and approach
Ferguson Zone 2 (range UVI 0.7–1.0)”

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._in_two_species_of_chameleons_from_Madagascar

Very interesting... I wonder if it makes a difference for them being exposed to real sun vs our imitation bulbs. Or if maybe temps play into it and them basking where the UVI is less.

Very interesting... I wonder if it makes a difference for them being exposed to real sun vs our imitation bulbs. Or if maybe temps play into it and them basking where the UVI is less.
Good questions. Wish I had a good answer for you. I‘ll look for some answers when I have a chance!

Chris Anderson gave me this in regards to the article ....

Wiley Online Library

Zoo Biology
Volume 37, Issue 6 p. 452-457
RESEARCH ARTICLE

Natural exposure to ultraviolet-B radiation in two species of chameleons from Madagascar​

Devin Edmonds, Tahinienne Razaiarimahefa, Ethan Kessler, Matthias Goetz
First published: 26 November 2018
https://doi.org/10.1002/zoo.21459
Citations: 4
Read the full text
About

Share on

Abstract​

Many reptiles require ultraviolet-B radiation between 290 and 315 nm (UV-B) to synthesize vitamin D3 and process dietary calcium. In captivity, exposure to too little or too much UV-B can result in health problems such as metabolic bone disease. While it is recognized that UV-B is necessary to successfully maintain many reptiles in captivity, the actual levels of UV-B that species are exposed to in nature is poorly known. We measured the UV-B exposure of two species of chameleon (Calumma brevicorne and C. nasutum) in the field in Madagascar over a period of four months. We found that both species were exposed to less UV radiation than that which was available in full sun. Only on rare occasions were chameleons observed in areas with a UV Index (UVI) greater than 3.0, and the median UVI for both species was only 0.3. There was no daily temporal pattern in UV exposure for C. nasutum, but C. brevicorne was found in areas with lower UV levels in the late afternoon when compared to late morning. Additionally, C. nasutum males showed higher UV exposure than females in late morning. Our results suggest that both C. brevicorne and C. nasutum can be classified as Ferguson Zone 1 species, and should be provided with a UV-B gradient in captivity that offers access to UV-B radiation as well as adequate shaded refuge.

Citing Literature​

Supporting Information​

Download PDF
Back

Additional links​

About Wiley Online Library​

Help & Support​

Opportunities​

Connect with Wiley​

Copyright © 1999-2023 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved
Wiley Home Page

One thing I’m thinking about though…sitting in the sun or shade outside would play more of a part in body temperature regulation than sitting in the light or shade in a cage under a UVB light that gives off no heat to speak of…..so then we have to think about are they also sitting under the basking lamp in the cage?

Back
Top Bottom