my yemen chameleon spikes are coming off help!!!!!

drspyro

help my yemen chameleon spikes are coming of on his back and i dont know what to do he eating normal and walking round normal im just worried:confused:

if you fill out the form someone should be able to help you better then just knowing that the spikes are coming off. :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

my yemen chamleon is 18 months old hes is a big 4ft vivairum and he eats mealworms crickets locust dusted with calcium dust for 1 month i have noticed the spikes on his back have come off about 8 spikes in total he gets he handeld every day and he is eating fine and drinking and walking round no problem his legs are straight not curved but when it started to happen he had a bad shed

how close is he to his basking light?
If he is too close or touching the light he could be getting burned. Burns will cause them to fall off. Please post a pic of your set up, your chameleon and fill out the form

carol is absolutely right I have a veiled chameleon that suffered burns from a basking light that was too close. can you fill out the help form and post pics if you can of him and his enclosure. His spikes will not likely come back but it needs to be cared for so it doesn't get infected if that is what happened.

hi ive been trying to upload a picture but its saying error but ill try my best to describe it its like red sores where the spilkes use to be but i but idone on it but i dont know what to do from here

fill out the form please! You did not answer if he has been close to his basking light? We cannot help you if you do not provide us with the proper information.

seems too close to me too. I would say it sounds like he got burnt to me. and that is why the spikes are falling off. I will see if I can find a pic of my guy when he lost his. You need to keep the site clean. and most importantly you need to either raise the light or lower his basking spot. he needs to be 10-12 inches away from the heat light. its important to make sure it doesn't get infected. I am pretty sure there is something over the counter you can get to put on it. like an ointment or something. (wish I could help with that but I got my antibiotic ointment from the vet)

Ideally you should get the animal to a vet. However, you can use a topical antibiotic to hopefully prevent infections (neosporin, polysporin). Definitely raise the light up. In addition to measuring the temperature at the basking point, I suggest putting a hand on the cage under the light to check for temperatures. The branch might read 90 degrees, but the metal cage might be too hot to touch.

Yes, as noted by both Linzee and I, a topical antibiotic is probably going to be needed. There are prescription ones designed for burns. A vet would be involved for that. I recommend that. If you want to try "over the counter" then something like neosporin or polysporin would be good.

Yes, as noted by both Linzee and I, a topical antibiotic is probably going to be needed. There are prescription ones designed for burns. A vet would be involved for that. I recommend that. If you want to try "over the counter" then something like neosporin or polysporin would be good.

thanks im ordering some now

Like Elizadolots said In addition to measuring the temperature at the basking point, I suggest putting a hand on the cage under the light to check for temperatures. The branch might read 90 degrees, but the metal cage might be too hot to touch.

I want to HIGHLY recommend this because when my guy got burned the basking temp was right but the metal above him was what caused the burns.

I took my guy to the vet and it costed about 100 for the exam and cream but If you can keep it clean and get an antibiotic he should be okay but if it gets any worse I would take him in to be seen for sure.
Good luck I hope he gets better for you

sounds like a burn, get a ir temp gun theyre like $40 an awesome investment.

if you cant hold you hand under the light where the top of his back would be because it gets too hot, its too hot. hold it there for like 60 seconds.

i didnt read all off the responses, so sorry if im being redundant if you use a spot, or flood light it focuses the head down. so when a certain wattage may be good at a certain said distance, it gets further away if the heat is focused downward.

so say youre using a 100watt bulb and the good basking temp range, mid 90s, is at about a foot away. then if youre using a spotlight, or upgrade to one, the ideal distance is going to be further away (these arent accurate numbers btw its just an example)

also when you use a thermometer to test the temperatures make sure you give it time to heat up all the way. dont just stick it under and assume thats an accurate reading. hence why i recommend a temp gun. they give some very accurate readings in less time. plus you can point them at things and find out how hot/cold stuff is. trust me its fun

I don't ever use a 100w bulb, they give off way too much heat, especially in the summer time. try a 60 or 75w. Actually, my crew all use 40w and it is enough for them. during the winter I up it to a 60w bulb.

Back
Top Bottom