After care for plug

Sarahm1998

Hi everyone! 👋🏻 I just wanted some advice if anyone is able to help. I have a Yemen chameleon- duggie.
He recently had a plug removed and since then he’s had little bits of what looks to be watery yellow excess coming out. I do keep wiping it with a cotton bud, I just want to know if this is normal or is it something I should take him to the vet for? Thanks in advance!

Did the vet remove the plug? No sign of blood in the stuff that is coming out right?

You will want to make sure his hydration is spot on. They commonly get these because their hydration is lower and they do not shed them properly.

Yep, and no sign of blood- it’s stopped now with it being a a few days after so I think it was just excess, as it was quite large. And he got it out by himself.
He shouldn’t be dehydrated as we spray him twice- anything else you could suggest in terms of checking he gets the right hydration

Yep, and no sign of blood- it’s stopped now with it being a a few days after so I think it was just excess, as it was quite large. And he got it out by himself.
He shouldn’t be dehydrated as we spray him twice- anything else you could suggest in terms of checking he gets the right hydration
Just watch his urates. White means he is hydrated. I give my guy hornworms for extra hydration and I use a dripper for a bit during the day

How long are you misting him for? If your manually misting you have to do this for a good 2 minutes or so. This is where automated misters come in really handy.
I would add a dripper to his cage as well. This can be as easy as setting a plastic solo cup on top with tiny pin holes in it. Fill with water or fill with ice for a slow drip. Set it on the screen top over plants so it drips down onto the plants for him.

How long are you misting him for? If your manually misting you have to do this for a good 2 minutes or so. This is where automated misters come in really handy.
I would add a dripper to his cage as well. This can be as easy as setting a plastic solo cup on top with tiny pin holes in it. Fill with water or fill with ice for a slow drip. Set it on the screen top over plants so it drips down onto the plants for him.
Oh! I’ll look into drippers and auto misters now- thank you so much for your help! I do mist him for a good minute but that could be the problem

Oh! I’ll look into drippers and auto misters now- thank you so much for your help! I do mist him for a good minute but that could be the problem
Look at the mistking starter system. This one is the best on the market. You can set the exact time you want a misting to start and stop along with the duration. you can have each misting run exactly when you want it to and for any duration you want it to.
If the wedge is not included in the starter system buy that as well. And you want to buy a 5 gallon bucket for the reservoir. You can get that at home depot. Get the exact bit size they recommend for drilling into the bucket. This will make it a perfect seal for your adapter.

Hey I’d also look into what your humidity ranges are through the day aswell as night as humidity should be atleast 80-100% at night. I overlooked this for a while but after focusing on humidity I haven’t noticed any dehydration in my chams since

Everything works together - food, supplements, uvb, temperatures and humidity. Making sure everything is well within parameters will help prevent shedding and sperm plug issues, along with most other issues.

Back
Top Bottom