my small (adult) veiled female, ideal enclousure in desert

keokeo

Hi everybody! I have an approximately one year old female veiled named Trini. She has no egg laying behavior yet and in general it seems she is doing great. She is friendly and will walk out on my hand and interact with others without signs of fear.

I started her in a Zoo Med 12X12X18 glass enclosure with vents and the mesh top. My decision for the glass is because I live in the super dry Chihuahuan desert so humidity an issue. Trini is small (I think?) for her age over one year, we estimate she was born in May 2011.

photo.jpg

I would l like to get some advice on what cage I should proceed with for her next abode! I am looking at Hagen Exo Terra High Glass Terrarium Size: Small Tall (24" H x 18" W x 18" D). Ideally I'd a tall glass cage (with ventilation for course) but not wide since my apartment space is limited.

Money is not a gigantic constraint. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it most sincerely.

Btw, does she look small or normal to you at more than a year?

much thanks!
Kristin

Hello..

Recommended size and all chamber keepers will tell you, bigger is always better! Anyways, recommended size is 48x24x24. I went a hair bit bigger of 48x27x30 for both male and female. I custom make my enclosures. So that bring said, I would make a small cut out of the plywood to insert a kitchen trash can in. Easily removable and no bulky item in the enclosure.

I that this was a good ideal from day 1... but I'll let others chime in with there thoughts

Hello..

Recommended size and all chamber keepers will tell you, bigger is always better! Anyways, recommended size is 48x24x24. I went a hair bit bigger of 48x27x30 for both male and female. I custom make my enclosures. So that bring said, I would make a small cut out of the plywood to insert a kitchen trash can in. Easily removable and no bulky item in the enclosure.

I that this was a good ideal from day 1... but I'll let others chime in with there thoughts

Sorry but this lady lives in the desert and needs to use glass. That is why she is asking about size. I would house a adult female veiled in a 18 x 18 x 36.

If I were looking at glass like you are, the smallest size I would use would be a 18 x 18 x 24. Getting any thing taller than 24 inches shipped to you without breaking might be tough. I have 2 exoterras that are 18 x 18 x 24 that I have my Williamsi geckos in. They arrived with no problem.

Sorry but this lady lives in the desert and needs to use glass. That is why she is asking about size. I would house a adult female veiled in a 18 x 18 x 36.

If I were looking at glass like you are, the smallest size I would use would be a 18 x 18 x 24. Getting any thing taller than 24 inches shipped to you without breaking might be tough. I have 2 exoterras that are 18 x 18 x 24 that I have my Williamsi geckos in. They arrived with no problem.
thank you laurie! i appreciated the advice - sorry for the delay in response. i did get that exact size and from what i can tell, my girl is loving it :)

one additional question - any advice on how to get "climbing accessories" to stay put in the glass enclosures? i've been supergluing because the little suction cups aren't strong enough but the superglue is unsightly and if you want to adjust things you're stuck with permanent glue marks on the glass. i also tried duct tape but that just looked aesthetically terrible and eventually fell down with the humidity.

thank you laurie! i appreciated the advice - sorry for the delay in response. i did get that exact size and from what i can tell, my girl is loving it :)

one additional question - any advice on how to get "climbing accessories" to stay put in the glass enclosures? i've been supergluing because the little suction cups aren't strong enough but the superglue is unsightly and if you want to adjust things you're stuck with permanent glue marks on the glass. i also tried duct tape but that just looked aesthetically terrible and eventually fell down with the humidity.

Look on craigslist. I always find good prices on exo terras there. Just make sure to fully sanitize the tanks in case someone had a sick lizard in it before you.

Back
Top Bottom