My preparations

Spion23

I am preparing for my first Chameleon, like I stated in my introduction in the lounge, and I made a list of some supplies and was hoping that some of you guys could possibly tell me what I am missing or if something is wrong. My goal is to get a panther because of their beautiful colors

Reptibreeze Screen Cage ; 24" x 24" x 48" XL

Plants
- Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis
- Zoo Med Naturalistic Vines
- “Chameleon branches”

Water
I was just thinking of doing the drip system, and then manually misting with a spray bottle

Substrate
Paper Towels

Food
-(not counting insects)
-Rep-cal Calcium with NO d3 or Phosphorus

-Rep-Cal Calcium WITH d3/ NO Phosphorus

-Rep-Cal Herptivite vitamin supplement

Lighting
-40-50 watt daylight bulb for heat

-UVB full spectrum light

Temp and Humidity

-Temperature gauge

-Reptile Humidity gauge

Cheers!

David

That cage will be big for a baby. Don't forget the feeders cage if you dnt already have one. Don't forget the fixture for the Lights.

Also, the reptibreeze cages rust really easy. Go with the lllreptile.com screen cages.

Thank you for those tips, They will be added to my list

what size of cage would be good to start off with?

I would reccomend a digital temp/humidity guage as they are more accurate than the dial type and easy to move the sensor around the cage. Some of them actually record the lows and highs as well and they are not overly expensive either. Maybe read up on the hibiscus as well, they are a great plant with edible flowers but are def harder to keep alive than some others, a grow bulb or natural sunlight will be needed with this plant for sure. One other thing that comes in handy is a roll of coated twist ties for tying vines and whatever else to the cage. Depending on the age of the cham u r getting that cage could b ok. if u get an older panther it will be ok but its tough for a baby to find its food in a large cage so even half that height is ok to start with, or ideally if u can screen off the top half of the 2x2x4 cage temporarily you can use the big cage as a small cage. ive never tried it but it would save u from buying two cages.

16x16x30 is usually good for a 3 month old until it's ready for it's adult cage (if it's a male, but females can live in that size their whole life.)

These are some really great tips, I especially like the idea of screening off the top part to avoid buying two cages

Back
Top Bottom